anum

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
58
0
Status
Medical Student
Smashingdude said:
Hi everyone,
My name is Qamar Ahmed and have completed my 2nd year of Alevels in United Arab Emirates. I have finished 2 years of Alevel in Physics(A), Biology(A), Chemistry(awaiting result), Pure Maths with Statistics 1 and Mechanics 1 (awaiting result). I have previously finished Olevels in Phyiscs,Chemistry,Biology,Human Biology, Religious Studies in Islam(All A's) ,, English Language, Urdu as a secondary language (All B's). {Both Olevels and Alevels in EDEXCEL}

Ive come to these forums to ask help on some of my disturbing issues. Well for one, I just dont know where to go next. I wanna go into MBBS/MD field but i just dont know where to apply next. For one, my financial status is very low, my father wont be able to support me. I have to do all on my own, either get a job and pay my semester fees. Or if I get a scholarship.
The thing is, as we all know,1) Medical field is THE most expensive field currently, 2) There is VERY LITTLE chance of Scholarships 3) Tight Competition leading to not getting 'seats' 4) Course length is way long for some courses apart from MBBS where u first have to attempt Biological sciences.

So for the past few months ive been trying very hard to find a good,accredited university for MBBS/MD programs and which is cheap, and scholarship offering. But its been quite a deadlock.
UK... Is Damn Expensive. They literally pull ur skin out thru their huge fees.
USA..Expensive but the course lenth would be tooo long. First have to do 4 year of Biomedical Sciences and then do additional 4 years and then finally 3 more years.
Pakistan..Competitive..No preference for Alevel Students. Prefer FSC students. but a slight chance.
Germany..Hard to find a unviersity offering English Courses.
China..Chinese Medicine. Dont know much about it.
Australia..Expensive and dont allow students to work.

Now i want u guys to help me out. Does anyone know a cheap/acreditied university/offering scholarship anywhere around the globe. I am willing to go anywhere where there are good universities. I know 'cheap' sounds funny in the Medical Field but i just dont know how to proceed.

I thought if there was any other field/course similar to MBBS/MD for 'doctory' but i still havent been able to find one. Does anyone know such courses or steps leading to these type of courses.?

I heard from my friends that Germany was a good place. So does anyone know any University offering English courses for MBBS/MD programs? or China?
or any other place like Egypt, Ukraine or somewhere if someone knows.

Please help me out guys. Ive asked zillion guys,teachers but noone is just able to help me out. I am in a complete DEADLOCK. I am afraid that I still havent applied to any colleges yet but ive been busy with some of my personal life issues and had been searching for Medical colleges.

Thanks in advance.

-Qamar Ahmed aka Smash
PS: I have posted this thread only after GOOOOOOOOOOOGLING a lot of research.

Your situation is very...er...difficult i just got into a med school in pak after doin my olevels and alevels....they do have a preference for the Fsc students but that is that the tests basically depends on the local sylabus plus the alevels have to go under a deduction of a percentage of numbers....

Doin alevels is financially hard enuf dude!i mean are you sure the financial senario is that tight....it takes three to four paki lacks in private but you can try on the gov side aswell.....china is comparaitively
low on fees but i havent heard of ppl really commn from thr and gettn adjusted in residency works!

good luk!
 
OP
Smashingdude

Smashingdude

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
95
9
Iasi, Romania
Status
MD/PhD Student
Alevels wasnt that hard here. It was high but affordable and thats the best my father can do at the moment. So how did u got into a med school..like u gave the main exam of a province? Can u give me details about it like deadlines/syllabus etc. Also which med school are u in and wht r the fee requirements?
Any other help guys. Anyone knows any colleges offering MBBS/MD courses in english in germany? or eqivalent courses?
 
About the Ads

radiologygirl

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
35
0
Status
I am not sure what you can manage...but either way medicine is expensive outside ones home country

at St Georges university you will enter last year for premed with thos A level results and then be promoted into the 4 year medical school...so you will be done if 5 years

you then have the option of doing clinicals in the UK or USA, which ever system you prefer to then specialise in ....not that it limits you

if you are not a US citizen or green card holder there is a possibility of qualifying for a scholarship.....so if that sounds good to you then apply..

applying wont cost you anything really...well other than the application fee
 

anum

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
58
0
Status
Medical Student
Smashingdude said:
Alevels wasnt that hard here. It was high but affordable and thats the best my father can do at the moment. So how did u got into a med school..like u gave the main exam of a province? Can u give me details about it like deadlines/syllabus etc. Also which med school are u in and wht r the fee requirements?
Any other help guys. Anyone knows any colleges offering MBBS/MD courses in english in germany? or eqivalent courses?

Well.....NOPE due to the domicile reason i couldnot appear in the provincial exam ....but i applied to private colleges....thats Y they are expensive.....I got the equvilance for both my Olevels and Alevels done! do that first see where you stand by getting the marks! okay to do that you need to contact the IBCC office!......BUY the punjab board text books...but Barren's Mcat and see if you can make someone send you the practice mcq questions for the text books ....for Mcat there are many....the books will be a shock for you like they are a bit detailed but due to the Alevels training you will do them fine ...get on them now!!!

buy Caravan's Mcq book!i did from them and barren's....do the Sat1 for maths and english but learning that you did appear for the Alevels maths they will be nothing really! additionally do the physics SAT2....all barren's...just buy the mcq books related to the Fsc text books to retain devalope concepts....do all!

lastly the test here start like by end of sep and go on till October by november you are in med coll if ! you qualify


work hard plus about the dates deadlines they come in every paper wen they have to do check the DAWN's website www.dawn.com/JANG urdu paper......
 

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
39,698
28,172
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Just a couple of clarifications.

In the US:

1) you do not always have to have a US undergraduate degree to get accepted into a US medical school. It is true that it is very difficult, but it is not impossible. The difficulty is that for non-US nationals, your best chance is at a private US medical school - these are generally the most expensive and may ask you to have all 4 years of tuition available up front.

2) the US medical schools only require that you have 90 undergraduate units completed in the US to be eligible for US medical school. This translates to a about 3 years (if you take 15 units per semester).

Thus your calculations are a little off: 3 years US undergraduate plus 4 years of medical school. I'm not sure what the additional 3 years you have tacked on the end, but if its for residency training, you get paid for that so that shouldn't be a concern.

In Australia,

foreign students are not banned from working but may not work more than 20 hrs per week while in medical school (I worked while a student there).

I am aware of English language programs in Malta, New Zealand, Ireland (which perhaps you were including when you spoke of the UK), Israel, Poland. The Eastern European countries have several English language programs and are "relatively cheap" in comparison. But without any savings, family help, loans or scholarships, I'm not sure how you would come up with the several thousand dollars a year you would need.
 

rCubed

taiko master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
416
0
NY
Visit site
Status
I don't think its true anymore that Pakistani medical school prefer FSc students. I know alot of A level students who are in medical school in Pakistan. I know for a fact that Aga Khan prefers A level students and with your grades, I wouldn't worry about losing your edge in conversions. Just make sure that if you do go to one of the Pakistani med schools, you choose a well known and recognized one. Aga Khan has affiliations with some hospital in the States, if that helps any.

Smashingdude said:
Hi everyone,
My name is Qamar Ahmed and have completed my 2nd year of Alevels in United Arab Emirates. I have finished 2 years of Alevel in Physics(A), Biology(A), Chemistry(awaiting result), Pure Maths with Statistics 1 and Mechanics 1 (awaiting result). I have previously finished Olevels in Phyiscs,Chemistry,Biology,Human Biology, Religious Studies in Islam(All A's) ,, English Language, Urdu as a secondary language (All B's). {Both Olevels and Alevels in EDEXCEL}

Ive come to these forums to ask help on some of my disturbing issues. Well for one, I just dont know where to go next. I wanna go into MBBS/MD field but i just dont know where to apply next. For one, my financial status is very low, my father wont be able to support me. I have to do all on my own, either get a job and pay my semester fees. Or if I get a scholarship.
The thing is, as we all know,1) Medical field is THE most expensive field currently, 2) There is VERY LITTLE chance of Scholarships 3) Tight Competition leading to not getting 'seats' 4) Course length is way long for some courses apart from MBBS where u first have to attempt Biological sciences.

So for the past few months ive been trying very hard to find a good,accredited university for MBBS/MD programs and which is cheap, and scholarship offering. But its been quite a deadlock.
UK... Is Damn Expensive. They literally pull ur skin out thru their huge fees.
USA..Expensive but the course lenth would be tooo long. First have to do 4 year of Biomedical Sciences and then do additional 4 years and then finally 3 more years.
Pakistan..Competitive..No preference for Alevel Students. Prefer FSC students. but a slight chance.
Germany..Hard to find a unviersity offering English Courses.
China..Chinese Medicine. Dont know much about it.
Australia..Expensive and dont allow students to work.

Now i want u guys to help me out. Does anyone know a cheap/acreditied university/offering scholarship anywhere around the globe. I am willing to go anywhere where there are good universities. I know 'cheap' sounds funny in the Medical Field but i just dont know how to proceed.

I thought if there was any other field/course similar to MBBS/MD for 'doctory' but i still havent been able to find one. Does anyone know such courses or steps leading to these type of courses.?

I heard from my friends that Germany was a good place. So does anyone know any University offering English courses for MBBS/MD programs? or China?
or any other place like Egypt, Ukraine or somewhere if someone knows.

Please help me out guys. Ive asked zillion guys,teachers but noone is just able to help me out. I am in a complete DEADLOCK. I am afraid that I still havent applied to any colleges yet but ive been busy with some of my personal life issues and had been searching for Medical colleges.

Thanks in advance.

-Qamar Ahmed aka Smash
PS: I have posted this thread only after GOOOOOOOOOOOGLING a lot of research.
 

anum

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
58
0
Status
Medical Student
its true AKU has a gr8 preference for Alevels but they just dont look into the grades the personality and dedicaion is also seen....plus there are other recognised med schools...the competitin here is alot!....so make ur best shot!
 

simply_me

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
56
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Kimberli Cox said:
Just a couple of clarifications.

In the US:

1) you do not always have to have a US undergraduate degree to get accepted into a US medical school. It is true that it is very difficult, but it is not impossible. The difficulty is that for non-US nationals, your best chance is at a private US medical school - these are generally the most expensive and may ask you to have all 4 years of tuition available up front.

2) the US medical schools only require that you have 90 undergraduate units completed in the US to be eligible for US medical school. This translates to a about 3 years (if you take 15 units per semester).

Thus your calculations are a little off: 3 years US undergraduate plus 4 years of medical school. I'm not sure what the additional 3 years you have tacked on the end, but if its for residency training, you get paid for that so that shouldn't be a concern.

In Australia,

foreign students are not banned from working but may not work more than 20 hrs per week while in medical school (I worked while a student there).

I am aware of English language programs in Malta, New Zealand, Ireland (which perhaps you were including when you spoke of the UK), Israel, Poland. The Eastern European countries have several English language programs and are "relatively cheap" in comparison. But without any savings, family help, loans or scholarships, I'm not sure how you would come up with the several thousand dollars a year you would need.
hi there...
is it true that we do not have to do an undergraduate degree in order to go US medical school? I live in BC, Canada and currently in grade 12. Is it possible for me to go to US medical school right away after graduating high school?
 

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
39,698
28,172
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
simply_me said:
hi there...
is it true that we do not have to do an undergraduate degree in order to go US medical school? I live in BC, Canada and currently in grade 12. Is it possible for me to go to US medical school right away after graduating high school?
Technically, it is true that at most US medical colleges, you do not have to have an undergraduate degree. However, you do have to have 90 units of undergraduate university level training, which translates to about 3 years post-high school in the US. It is highly recommended you complete your university degree before matriculating into medical school.

There are programs in which you can matriculate right out of high school. These are generally 6 or 7 years in length and combine the pre-med and med school curriculum. There are only a few such programs and they are highly competitive. The AAMC Guide to US Medical Schools can detail more information about these options for you.
 

onboard

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2002
29
0
Visit site
Status
Aga Khan Definately does not prefer A-levels to FSC, I applied to AKU, with 5 As in A-levels did not get accepted went to USA for undergrad and went on to completed medical school at a top 10 university in the US. Either AKU has extremely high standards for admission or takes very few A-level people from KGS/american school or there is obviously something very wrong with their evaluation system.
 

rCubed

taiko master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
416
0
NY
Visit site
Status
onboard said:
Aga Khan Definately does not prefer A-levels to FSC, I applied to AKU, with 5 As in A-levels did not get accepted went to USA for undergrad and went on to completed medical school at a top 10 university in the US. Either AKU has extremely high standards for admission or takes very few A-level people from KGS/american school or there is obviously something very wrong with their evaluation system.

i visited AKU over the summer and i would estimate that more than half the students I met had done their A levles at various schools....just something for the OP to keep in mind
 

erichaj

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2003
756
0
Visit site
Status
You may have to stay there and work for a few years after you finish medical school there. To pay back the time.

Other thoughts:

Join the US military. Get green card. Now, you can apply to medical school.

You will have to pay them back with time in the military.

Or,

You can check with other countries to see if they have similar type of program.

Good Luck.
 

Scottish Chap

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
1,641
71
You may have to stay there and work for a few years after you finish medical school there. To pay back the time.

Other thoughts:

Join the US military. Get green card. Now, you can apply to medical school.

You will have to pay them back with time in the military.

Or,

You can check with other countries to see if they have similar type of program.

Good Luck.
You can't enlist in the U.S. armed forces unless you are a U.S. citizen.....and you need to have a green card for a few years first if you are presently a foreign national.
 

erichaj

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2003
756
0
Visit site
Status
I know of people who did just that to get their green card. In fact there was story on a couple of individuals from vietnam who came here and joined the military and after several years of duty became citizens.

Anyway, check with a lawyer.
 

anum

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
58
0
Status
Medical Student
rcubed is correct the students at AkU are selected on overall bases ...there is no evaluation system that is ur Az cant do all there as i said its a whole personality thing they see thru you thats is if u really want to do it and are you doing it wilingly...anyway its great the 5A person is among the top top .
 
About the Ads