where to go--between two state schools

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by 123456, Dec 4, 2002.

1. 123456

123456 Member

Attending Physician
    ok, so let me say that this is a welcome delema...i am a reapplicant who thought i would never get in the second time around, but here i am debating between two schools and its only december

anyway, those two schools are university of minnesota twin cities and university of illinois chicago. i dont know a ton about either school, but they seem quite similar. so US News says minnesota is the better school, but i liked the students i met at uic (and generally dug the vibe there more then umn). tuition and debt aside, im just not sure which one to pick. anyone have any good/bad things to say about either school? either way, i am SO excited to be in!

thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I'm a second year at MN, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you had about my school. I can say in its favor that I've been very impressed with the education and administration. The teaching is generally very good, and there's clinical involvement very early, if that's something that's important to you. And, frankly, I just love Minneapolis. I think everyone will tell you to go where you feel comfortable, and it sounds like you had a good feeling from UIC. I don't know where they're ranked, but unless it's below top 50, I wouldn't worry about it. Anyway, if you had any specific questions,

[email protected]

Congrats; you have an enviable problem

4. Fermi

Fermi Senior Member

123456--

I was in an identical, and I do mean identical, situation to yours two years ago. I was a reapplicant from the previous year, and was accepted to both UMN and UIC and had to decide between the two. I'm now an M2 at UMN (hey cchoukal) and I have had a very positive experience so far. Two of my best friends from college went to UIC, so I also have some insight from that end as well.

Are you a resident of either state? I was an Illinois resident, but UMN gave me (and all other out-of-staters) a tuition waiver to bring it down to in-state level. However, I believe they only do this for a small number of out-of staters now. At any rate, I believe the costs are comparable as state schools go. Overall, they're both very good schools, but they definitely have their differences in terms of student body, location, and other strengths/weaknesses.

Please PM or email me (use the buttons at the bottom of my message) and I'd be very happy to advise. Good luck and congratulations!