Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Where to go for an accelerated Pre-Dental/Dental degree? (BS/DDS)

Discussion in 'Dental' started by futuredentista, Apr 22, 2007.

1. futuredentista

futuredentista New Member

Pre-Dental
    I got accepted to both University's of the Pacific's 6 year Bs/DDS program and SUNY: University at Buffalo's 7yr BS/DDS program but now I don't know where to go. Where would you go and why?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.

Attending Physician
    your nothing unless you get into UoP's 2+3 program.

people will answer your questions as they see fit, but dont post the same topic multiple times over and over and over and over and over

4. futuredentista

futuredentista New Member

Pre-Dental

actually i posted multiple times by accident...

and second of all i did get into UoP's 2+3 program..but decided that I would rather graduate with a bachelors degree than w/o...you dont have to be so rude

5. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Non-Student
    He was just pulling your leg, you have to be some kind of ultra-ninja to get into any of those programs straight out of high school.

Hell, if you got into the 2+3 program I so go for that. You'll shave 3 years off of the normal route, just thinking about the amount of money you could make makes me want to open up excel right now and start crunching numbers...

6. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.

Attending Physician
    This is true.

If I got into the 2+3 program I would have jumped at the chance back then.
    You have to be kick ass to get into this program. This sets you up to specialize, and prove you can become that ninja armorshell was talking about.

7. Tooth

Tooth Orthodontist
    Dentist

Non-Student
    Absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would go for the 2+3 program. Hands down. What are you going to do with biology degree anyway?

8. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing

Resident [Any Field]
    2+3

bio degree is useless when you have the elusive DDS, NNJ degree

*NNJ is the ninja degree given out to those who excel in kickassery.

Three dentists I know have the NNJ degree and they could cre less about their lack of a BS degree (BS seems so fitting):laugh:

:thumbup: for sarcasm

9. Reconabe

Reconabe Member

Dentist
    why would you care about having a bachelors degree if you are going to be a dentist? Are you that interested in wall decorations? because if you are I will print you out a nice one online : )

bottom line, if you are going to practice dentistry a bachelors degree is only good for being used as a patient napkin.

10. beannaithe

beannaithe Bionerd

Dentist
    don't think about how long the programs are, whether or not you have your bachelors, blah blah blah blah. think about where you're going....really, you're going to be in buffalo or cali for 6-7 years. so you need tot hink about where you're going to be and which place you're going to be happier at....how close are you to your family? do you wantto be close to them? how did you like the weather at both places?

think about all of those things....an extra year won't make you or break you so don't worry about that....just think about the location, because you NEED to be happy there before you can be happy with anything else.

and it's nice to have your bachelor's....it shows that you get something for the $60k+ that you just dropped on an education. :)

11. Punjabiking

Non-Student
    Hi I am currently about to graduate 11th grade so of course Im looking at colleges. Now I was wondering, which Universities offer accelerated dental programs and where to get the application for that school.

12. passdasoysauce

Pre-Dental
    Hi Futuredentista! Just wondering what your sat scores and gpa average? Was it very hard to get in UOP? Thanks

13. funkymonkey

Pre-Dental
    Hey this may be a little too late for the people who wanted to know about accelerated programs, but I think the biggest problem is that no one really researches that much about them.

I'm currently in an accelerated dent program (3+4) with UMDNJ. There was about 6-7 colleges that accepted people into their programs and about 4-5 kids at each college that got in. It was fairly easy to get into from my own experience.

I had no where near perfect SAT scores but I did have a decent high school GPA. What set me apart was that I did alot of DIFFERENT extracirrulars (Volunteered with children with down syndrome, traveled alot, etc)

But with my credentials i was able to get into the penn state (temple dent), uconn (nyu dent), and stevens IT/SPC (got into both with UMDNJ)

14. pmantz

pmantz Member

Dental Student
    You are correct in some respects, yes you really don't need one. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get one. I am proud of my degree in biochemistry I worked hard for it and the couple extra classes I needed to complete my degree were worth it for myself. Why rush into a profession loaded with responsibilities and stresses of working. I relished my days of undergrad, it was fun and not crazy difficult.

15. muz

muz Member

I am currently doing an externship with ASDA/ADA in Chicago...working in the central offices, i get to see all types of dentists and those involved in dentistry. The ADA has a huge division on dentists health and well-being whether thats physical, mental, emotional, financial, whatever the ADA is willing to help you...

The Director of ASDA and one of the heads of the ADA department on wellness took myself and my fellow extern out to lunch. We were speaking about dentists in accelerated programs that DONT get their degrees...she often see's many dentists with repetitive motion injuries that do not allow them to practice anymore...at that point they realize that they spent their lives living/loving dentistry and when they cant practice anymore there's very little to lean back upon...of course there are some dentists that can resort to other means but there are also some that dont have bachelors/masters degrees to resort to....so yeah a 6-7 year acclereated program is amazing..(I did graduate bachelors in 3 years) but you its VERY beneficial to get a degree not because its neccesary but more so for the rainy day!

--muz--

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    Are you sure she didn't meant that if you can't do dentistry anymore because of your health, you have nothing to fall back on because you spent decades focusing on teeth and don't know anything about other fields like fixing computers or running hedge funds? I'm pretty sure that if dentistry fails me 30 years from now because of my health, my nearly worthless biology degree isn't going to get me very far at all.

18. rose786

I second this, a BS in biology is a only a stepping stone to other things. It's worthless when it comes to finding a job.

19. rocknightmare

rocknightmare Senior Member

Dental Student
    are you guys forgetting that you can become science teachers with that biology degree!?#? ;)

20. Dr.Millisevert

Dr.Millisevert Senior Member

Dentist

Yeah.. a bio degree AND a teaching certificate (which in itself may take you 2 more years!).

Guess what.. You can also Teach at a dental school with just a DDS. :)

I say go for the 5-year DDS at Pacific! :thumbup:

21. muz

muz Member

Saying what i said before...about getting injured whatever and falling back on your degree...If I would have known about the 5 or even the 6 year UOP program i woulda taken it rather than the 7 i will do it in with my bachelors

so i second it go with the 5 year program ull be a dentist by 22-23!

muz