Where to go for an accelerated Pre-Dental/Dental degree? (BS/DDS)

Discussion in 'Dental' started by futuredentista, Apr 22, 2007.

1. futuredentista

futuredentista New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I got accepted to both University's of the Pacific's 6 year Bs/DDS program and SUNY: University at Buffalo's 7yr BS/DDS program but now I don't know where to go. Where would you go and why?

*edit* I live in NJ...so SUNY is 6 hrs by car and Pacific 6 hrs by plane...Also, I would be paying almost 100,000 more for attending pacific....And I want to specialize afterwards...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Atombomb

Atombomb Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Pacific its one more year you're making money and the weather in San Fran is much nicer. Unless you have family close to SUNY I'd jump on the pacific train

4. Daurang

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think there's a 5-years dental program in Mexico that is accredited by the California Dental Association. That will save you another year.

5. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Sounds like you already have your decision made :laugh:

6. futuredentista

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    No...i havent made my decision yet...im actually very much confused...so i need all the help and advice i can get.

7. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I dont think you need to post this topic 5 times.
    Flip a coin.
    You can even use this link here
    http://www.flipacoin.net/flip.php?country=us&coin=eis

At the end of the 6 or 7 years you will be a dentist.
    Dont think you will specialize just yet wait until you get to d-school and do some of the work.

8. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I graduated from an accelerated program a few years ago, and am now in a specialty residency. In response to some of the comments here and in your other thread, here is my perspective:

1) Bachelor's degree - zero importance when you earn your DDS
    2) College experience - more important, IMO. It's really the only time in your life you get some cool experiences that you likely won't have again as a practicing dentist, such as going abroad for a semester, living with so many young people, getting involved in all sorts of interests, being friends with non-dental people, etc.
    3) Dental school - a lot of work. Even more work if you want to rank at the top b/c you want to specialize in ortho/OMS/endo. It's not the busy work like you have in high school, it's not the research & writing papers work in college. It's just straight up too many classes at once, memorizing and taking multiple choice exams all the time until you get to clinic. It's spending lots of time practicing hand skills in pre-clinic for subjectively graded practicals. It's about learning how to manipulate red tape to make sure you watch your back and graduate on time.
    4) After dental school - time to pay back those loans. This is when the lower your loans, the more options you'll have for things like how much more money you want to borrow for the dental practice you will now buy/establish where your real income will come from. How much you pay each month in your student loan payback can also influence your lifestyle decisions such as buying a house or car, supporting a family, etc. An extra 100K in loans isn't an extra $50 payment each month, it's more like $500 each month for 30 years (maybe a little less, but you get the point). Everything else you did prior to getting your DDS doesn't matter very much anymore, unless you want to specialize later then your dental school grades/boards will still play a role in admissions. Also, depending on which specialty you choose, you may also have to borrow more money to pay tuition at your program for 2 - 3 years.
    5) 3 yrs Pacific vs 4 yrs Buffalo - I don't think it's really that big of a deal to get out a year early. I did 4 years at Buffalo and it was a rough 8 semesters, but it was very refreshing to have decently long summer breaks because I was able to return energized and ready for each new year. It was also nice to have some time during the summers to do some non-dental things and catch up with friends and family. I think I would have fallen apart and not been able to do as well given the packed schedule, fewer breaks, and 3000 mile distance from my family & friends if I had gone to Pacific.

Pacific is a good dental school and its beautiful location is a huge bonus over Buffalo, but in this scenario, I would go to SUNY Buffalo (actually I already did :laugh: ).

Which undergrad did you get into?

9. futuredentista

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I got into the undergrad at Buffalo

10. scalpel2008

scalpel2008 beep beep beep...smash
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i did an accelerated program. there are pros and cons of such a program. during the 6 years undergrad/dds i sort of wished i did it the traditional route even though now i look back and i had enough time to do a lot of stupid things in my 2 years of undergrad even though i went to school year round. on the pro side, i saved 2 years of tuition, have an extra 2 years to earn and am almost 29 and will be the chief at a 6 years OMS this summer. i would go with UOP because although i dont like NY for anything more than a short break. that extra $100,000 is equivalent to the year you save by not going to buffalo.

11. thn220

Pre-Dental

may i ask what were your SAT scores and the application process to the BS/DDS program

thanks for ur help! and i think you should go to pacific! you'll be out of school faster!