Where to go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a.little.stitious

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was there any reason you did not apply to Central Michigan,Michigan State and Western Michigan? You should be competitive for some DO schools with your MCAT. I suggest adding these schools if you need to reapply next June:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LECOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
RVU-Utah
Idaho (new school)
MSU-COM

Thank you for your reply! I'm assuming it's too late to add DO schools for this cycle?

Both MSU CHM and Western MI have a curriculum based largely on PBL. Since the SMP I did had a standard format and I found I needed to learn material through lectures at my own pace before applying concepts to mock clinical cases, I wasn't entirely confident I would do well at those schools. I did apply to both last cycle, though. The telephone interview I got last cycle was with Western MI and I asked them how they viewed older/non-traditional applicants and didn't get a reassuring response, or an II afterwards. It's possible I should have applied to them again to learn more about the schools in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you're fine for ANY DO school, including mine.
I'm surprised that you didn't get any nibbles from some of the schools on your list.

I recommend (in addition to DO schools):
Albany
NYMC
Loyola
The Philly Triplets
Gtown
GWU
U Miami
Case
Hofstra
Dartmouth
EVMS

I think that the SMP performance will be enough. Suggest getting in more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Hello SDN, I’m currently an MD re-applicant and a 1st time DO applicant. Although I just recently submitted my DO secondaries, I’d like to prepare for applying next year because I’m aware I have some red flags on my app and I’m never sure about the application process. I have a bit of a backstory to go along with my app, as most people do. Since I’ve been in my own head about all of this for a long time, sharing it and getting outside perspective is something I’m grateful to be able to do – I appreciate any and all considerations!

Applied in July: Miami, Wayne State, Oakland (Beaumont), Boston University, Tufts, Penn State, Saint Louis University, Wake Forest, GW

Applied in November: MSUCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, LE COM, Nova Southeastern, RVU COM

I think trying to manage being a premed with health problems and responsibilities over the years has made this whole process seem rushed for me. I’m thinking now I should have devoted a year to building up my clinical volunteering outside my home and then applying to solely DO schools early (and more of them). If I end up needing to do that, are there any other suggestions? Should I try to take post-bacc coursework before next cycle, or is the SMP GPA enough? I’d also appreciate hearing about any DO schools that tend to take students who’ve done SMPs as well! Thank you!

I think that you're fine for ANY DO school, including mine.
I'm surprised that you didn't get any nibbles from some of the schools on your list.

I recommend (in addition to DO schools):
Albany
NYMC
Loyola
The Philly Triplets
Gtown
GWU
U Miami
Case
Hofstra
Dartmouth
EVMS

I think that the SMP performance will be enough. Suggest getting in more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

^^I definitely agree with the above (on service to others), thank you! I appreciate the school list as well! I think applying early next cycle, especially after devoting much more time to serving people locally, is a better idea than adding more schools now? I've read that submitting DO secondaries after November is pushing it.

^^I definitely agree with the above (on service to others), thank you! I appreciate the school list as well! I think applying early next cycle, especially after devoting much more time to serving people locally, is a better idea than adding more schools now? I've read that submitting DO secondaries after November is pushing it.
Based upon the timeline at my school, if you get in your secondaries now, it will be about a six week turn around before getting you an II. Now add two more weeks due to the slow down at Xmas time.

Then add to that another six weeks minimum for the interview date, which means you'll probably be interviewing by end of Feb or even into March, and by then we start getting picky. The newer schools will be faster, because they're more desperate form applicants. I think that you can do better. BUT, if you wish to try, send some apps tot he schools closest to you. I suspect that because you're closer, you might get more love because the Admissions deans (if they think at all like my wily old Admissions dean) may think that you're more likely to attend a school closer to you. So, try LECOM, MUCOM, DMU, KCU and OHCOM

I'm in no rush, I'd be really happy at a school with good clinical sites and a curriculum setup that I'd respond well to - so taking the time to apply to schools earlier next cycle seems a better idea! I'll submit a couple more secondaries to schools near me that you listed, though. I really like a couple of them and hadn't applied yet because it's past a recommended submission date for one of the schools, but it would be cool if it worked out this cycle with the location factor. I will opt out of adding in any newer schools now as you suggest, since I'm not as sure what to expect from them. Thanks so much for your advice, it means a lot.

Happy Holidays!

Based upon the timeline at my school, if you get in your secondaries now, it will be about a six week turn around before getting you an II. Now add two more weeks due to the slow down at Xmas time.

Then add to that another six weeks minimum for the interview date, which means you'll probably be interviewing by end of Feb or even into March, and by then we start getting picky. The newer schools will be faster, because they're more desperate form applicants. I think that you can do better. BUT, if you wish to try, send some apps tot he schools closest to you. I suspect that because you're closer, you might get more love because the Admissions deans (if they think at all like my wily old Admissions dean) may think that you're more likely to attend a school closer to you. So, try LECOM, MUCOM, DMU, KCU and OHCOM

Hello Goro, I wanted to reply to this message to update you - I previously outlined on this thread that I was a reinvention student with past health problems and that I completed an SMP - I ended up interviewing at Wayne State and SLU last cycle but was waitlisted at both schools. I took your advice and applied to DO schools this cycle after working on my app with more service to those less fortunate than myself and I've been lucky to receive multiple DO interviews and my first acceptance today! I've also been less stressed out during this application cycle because the volunteering I've been doing is rewarding in itself. Thank you for the advice you offer to reinvention students like myself! I have not received good direction from advisors in undergrad or even my SMP, which is one of their selling points - you are really helping people who would in some (or many) ways be lost on their way to becoming doctors.

Reactions: 7 users
Hello Goro, I wanted to reply to this message to update you - I previously outlined on this thread that I was a reinvention student with past health problems and that I completed an SMP - I ended up interviewing at Wayne State and SLU last cycle but was waitlisted at both schools. I took your advice and applied to DO schools this cycle after working on my app with more service to those less fortunate than myself and I've been lucky to receive multiple DO interviews and my first acceptance today! I've also been less stressed out during this application cycle because the volunteering I've been doing is rewarding in itself. Thank you for the advice you offer to reinvention students like myself! I have not received good direction from advisors in undergrad or even my SMP, which is one of their selling points - you are really helping people who would in some (or many) ways be lost on their way to becoming doctors.
:biglove::biglove::biglove::hello::hello::hello::banana::banana::banana::welcome::welcome::welcome::claps::claps::claps::woot::woot::woot::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::clap::clap::clap::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::highfive::highfive::highfive::hardy::hardy::hardy::luck::luck::luck::love::love::love::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user