1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

where to go from here?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Su4n2, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

studied my ass of for AUG MCAT, got a 25O. V9,P8,B8

i don't know what to do, i haven't submitted my primary yet cause i was waiting for my scores. i have a 3.39. i really gave it my best, i don't know what ese i could have done. i was hoping to get in to SUNY Downstate but now i guess i will be retaking. this is not fair. i feel like i have had the wind knocked out of me. what to do? should i try calling downstate and ask if they have ever accepted someone with such a low score or should i retake. i am also thinking of applying to DO school )NYCOM) and studying to retake in case i don't hear from them. this is ahs been really hard...
    susan

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

if ur extra-curric's r good, and u think u'll get good LORs, i'd suggest go ahead and apply to SUNY-Downstate (and maybe Upstate) and a couple DO schools.
    u'll never know what can happen if u don't try..
    in the meantime, its a good idea to keep studying to retake just in case
    good luck

4. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT.SUSAN

5. Hi susan ur mcats are not that bad but u havent submitted ur primary, that kind of puts u behind especially with ur scores,i think u should consider retaking and possibly take a few classes to improve ur gpa (even if its just to 3.40), or u should apply to DO schools, which ever route u choose i sincerely wish u good luck and just remember it gets harder before it gets better.:)

6. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

should i even bother this late in the game? the thing is that i don't really know what i could do differently. i think i might call a couple of schools tomorrow. s

7. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Susan, look at it this way... at least you didn't get any 7's

I scored 27Q overall but check out the breakdown:

7,10,10,Q .... the verbal is gonna kill me... my GPA is a 3.5 but still..... I havn't slept for a long time and I totally understand were you're coming from because I studied two months solid and 60-70% of the time it was for verbal (I got 5 the first time around) hours and hours... while my friends went out to clubs and had fun... I'm telling you when I got my score back i was totally depressed....

GOOD LUCK TO YOU, hey I still think you have a decent shot.... don't give up:love:

8. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ocean11,
    i hear you and i wish you luck. i still haven't decided to aplly or not. i have heard of people getting in w/ a 27, but i have never heard of a non URM getting in w/ a 25. i am thinking of retaking but again don't know what to do diff. i was getting 28-30 on my last 2 aamc's. i think tomorrow i will go down to Doenstate Med School and try to speak to someone. thanx for your support! i hope u get in.

9. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

Hi Ocean and susan--
    Just to make you guys feel better, I got the same exact score as Ocean and have received secondaries from all the screen schools. I did get rejected by Mayo though. Just make sure you get your stuff in early. Perhaps there is hope for people like us. Keep the faith. It will happen soon.

My best wishes.
    Tweetie

10. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    don't worry about mayo, they are just a strange school. they have about 45 students (which is wayyyy too small in my mind) and they are interested in finding very unique applicants. my body buddy interviewed there and he described the interview as such: so...what ECs did you do...anymore?...anymore?...anymore?

eventually you run out of things to say. they just grill you.

personally i like a bigger class now because everyone knows everyone's business. it's the nature of a small cohort. i can't imagine 45!!! (and living in rochester. :) )

as far as apply (this is for susan and ocean). my main bit of advice is do things early! it is now october and people already know about interviews. i would aim to apply for the next cycle and improve on GPA en route. i know of many people who applied late with crappy GPAS and MCAT scores who got in, but being late is just one more thing working against you. when you apply, you want to have the best package you think you can present. if you don't feel like bringing up your gpa, focus on some awesome EC that you can feel proud of. feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

11. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey
    7+ Year Member

Is GO TO HELL acceptable language on this forum?

12. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Susan I think you should apply, maybe not to Harvard and Yale but to Finch, Howard and Temple as well as your state schools, I've heard of people with 25 get in, even 24 no joke! so apply... don't waste too much money, apply to maybe 5-10 but still you never know... imagine if you made it in...

Tweetie... don't worry about Mayo, I have a few friends who applied with amazing GPA's and decent MCATs and didn't even get an interview... we're talking 3.8 and 32-34 here... so don't feel bad....

Spread some love to you all:love:
    Keep the faith

13. lady bug

7+ Year Member

I know a really nice guy who goes to U of miami on FULL scholarship who got a 23 on the mcat. Everything else in his application was perfect...so i'm sure they were able to see that. btw, he just kicked but on the boards...and that goes to show how crapshoot the mcat really is.

14. Raptor

Raptor Found one
    7+ Year Member

You will never know until you try. Anyways, I know this girl that got into medical school (out of state low tier) with a 25 and low GPA. So it is possible and remember to persist until you succeed.

15. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey Su4n2--

Hmmm, that's a tough one. Not knowing what your ECs and LORs are like, I can't give you solid advice, but I can give you my opinion. I don't think you should give up on medicine, but I do think you should wait a year. I'm not saying you don't have a chance-- but I do think that you will greatly improve your chances if you apply early next year. I understand your situation b/c my scores aren't great-- my MCAT is fine but I graduated in 2001 with a 3.1 (PM me if you want the complete story). My GPA is certainly going to hold me back, but I got my AMCAS in super-early so schools could look at my app before they saw people with better scores than mine. If you wait a year, you have time to retake the Big Ugly (oops, I mean MCAT), maybe improve your GPA, and get some kick-a$$ ECs and LORs to put on your AMCAS which you will submit EARLY (ie, June) next year. You also will have some time to earn money to pay for all these ridiculous secodnary fees...:rolleyes:

Best of luck, and please don't give up yet. You can do this. It's not easy, but it's too early to lose hope. :)

16. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,

I know people like to hear encouraging things on this forum, so what I say may not be popular. I have been on SDN since 2000, plus have been the head of the pre-med society at my university so I have talked to lots of people and a number of dean's from the state's med schools.

It is going to be an uphill battle for you. As much as they say stats aren't everything, well, don't believe it. People with low stats may get secondaries and even interviews, but they are the ones that get waitlisted and if they are lucky will get pulled off the waitlist before classes start.

If there is any way to pull up your GPA you should try. The higher GPA will help in off setting your low MCAT. And yes.. I agree... you are going to need stellar EC's to help you set up to an equal playing field as those with higher MCAT's and GPA's.

Don't get discouraged, but be realistic and don't set yourself up for a big disappointment in August . I do wish you all the best and believe me when I say... I know what you are going through.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

17. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow, i was away one nite and soo many nice responses. all your advice is appreciated. i will probably end up applying to a few schools. still taking biochem and stuff, working on my gpa. i think i have great ec's, but doesn't everyone?

someone told me to go to hell? i am not sure why. is it because i said that i personally don't know any non- URM getting in w/25. i didn't make a judgement, i just expressed what i personally know. i didn't mention the fact that i am an immigrant who was oppressed and poor in the communist country that i came from, and that my family came here w/nothing. no adcom will ever consider that because i am not URM. but this is really digressing from my main point.

to everyone w/low scores, iam going to try to get in touch with an adcom today. will keep u posted

18. Veilside

Veilside Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

well i know this one kid who got in to downstate last year with a 25 mcat. he had a 3.63 cum and 3.95 science at nyu. but only downstate offered him an interview. he applied to 8 schools, all low- to mid-tier schools in ny and none offered him an interview except downstate. and even downstate ended up accepting him around july. but he was a very good communicator though, knew how to present himself and his arguments

19. rae-chill

rae-chill Member
    7+ Year Member

Su4n2, any news from the adcom? i also have a questionable mcat score and gpa and i feel for ya... keep us posted :)

20. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

There is a section on AMCAS where you can describe any "disadvantages" you've had. I hope you did mention it on your application, because I think your background would qualify as a disadvantage. And I think adcoms would take it into acount. Good luck to you, whatever you decide. :)