Where to go...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sdn'ers,

I am a bit confused with picking an undergraduate school to complete my learning (I am a freshman currently at University Buffalo) and would like some opinions. I have recently applied to stony brook and Binghamton (suny schools) for they are both are highly rated suny schools and have a good output for premed students. I have thought about applying to Cornell as a spring transfer and possibly university of miami. Money is def a consideration and by attending bing or stony the saving would about 20-30k (roughly). Yet I want an institution that will provide with a firm education and good leaping board into med school...if that is possible . Any feedback on these school or maybe a different school not listed would be great. I was accepted into a seven yr program but feel this is to restricting. I want to eventually work in pediatric oncology and realize that one must get an awesome IM res. followed by a fellowship. I am trying to make sure that I can optimize my edu with the resources I have to the best level. Thanx for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Its all about how you do, not where you go. Of course being a big fish in a big pond is best, but its never good to be a small fish. If you are in a 7 yr proggy why do you want to transfer? You have it made. Go study abroad for a year, major in something like european history or russian anthroplogy or the major with the hottest members of the opposite sex, and just generally have fun. Why do you want to stress yourself out? Where you go to undergrad WILL NOT matter when applying to residency and even your med school will be like 3rd or 4th on the list, at best. My advice? ... stick it out in the 7 yr program .. if not .. go to the place where you are most likely to excel. Those four institutions are all pretty different and I know cornell, stony, and u miami are all pretty competitive (pre-med class wise).