where to live in balitmore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shortbread9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know of any safe areas of baltimore that is not too far from JHU (within 20 mins). im looking for an apartments...not a house.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you want to be near the hospital, and are willing to drive, here's my .02: (I lived in B'more and worked at Hopkins for a year and a half in 05 - 06)

"Safe" in Baltimore and "safe" in Eau Claire Wisconsin have different meanings.

Getting Eau Claire quality safety within 20 mins of Hopkins will be a little bit of a challenge. The best place would probably be Roland Park, which is sort of the posh part of Baltimore proper, but you can find some reasonably priced apartments. Also check out the apartment buildings just north of the Hopkins undergrad campus (Homewood) on Charles and University. One HUGE advantage of these is that you can take a free shuttle from Homewood to the medical campus. This will save you time and hassle on parking.

Charles Village, the neighborhood to the East of Homewood, is Baltimore safe but definitely not Eau Claire safe. This means that you hear about people getting held up for their wallets in your neighborhood (through the JHU police bulletin), but chances are it never happens to you. This is where I lived while in Bmore. Also on the shuttle route. Lots of nice apartments at rates cheaper than the neighborhoods mentioned above. You will have rats in your alley the size of cats, but you've already decided to move to Baltimore, so maybe part of you will find this aspect of "roughing it" vaguely romantic. I did for about 9 months.

Also in the category of "Baltimore safe"-- Fells Point and Canton. Both these neigborhoods have lots and lots of bars. Canton is a bit further from Hopkins. You'd have to drive, but it wouldn't take long at all. Canton is sort of a yuppie magnet. Fells point is actually walking distance to Hopkins. Depending on how tough you look, you might decide that it is best to walk to Hopkins from Fells. (Maybe a mile or two, through the hispanic section of town, which is cool, but also through a couple of blocks that qualify as sketchy even in Baltimore--some pretty rough projects nearby.) Canton, on the whole, is safer and more expensive than Fells.

I have to go study the retina, but here are two more suggestions:

Federal Hill--also a big party scene, but more of an established/moneyed part of downtown than Canton and Fells. Pretty safe.

Mount Vernon--sort of the museum-y district. Cool restaurants and clubs in addition to the stodgy museums. Really wonderful architecture. This is my favorite part of Baltimore because the buildings are really wonderful. My wife says your car might get broken into here, but that is true for all of these neighborhoods except Roland Park. Also on the shuttle route.

One last one (if you're still reading): Hampden. Hipster Baltimore. When I was there this was morphing into a hipster neighborhood, which means that in a few years it will be a yuppie beighborhood. It had been/is a "working class" (read "working class" as a euphemism) white neighborhood. Pretty cheap rents, pretty short drive downtown to the hospital. A strip of old bars (professional drinkers) and funky new bars (professional hipsters). You will be accosted by at least one coked out Hampdenite per week if you live within two blocks of The Avenue.

Price Comparison: Roland park = Fed Hill > canton = Fells = Homewood north > mount vernon > charles village > hampden.

I would pick Mount Vernon. Really close to the hospital, on the shuttle, reasonably safe, nice apts. Fun places to hang out.

I'm going to go send this to a travel publisher now. . .

anyone know of any safe areas of baltimore that is not too far from JHU (within 20 mins). im looking for an apartments...not a house.
thanks

Police station. :D

i live in mout vernon and i really love it. you can find an apartment for a pretty good price or even a row house, which is what i live in. it's the best neighborhood in baltimore imho... you don't have the craziness and parking issues of federal hill, canton, fells etc. but there are a ton of restaurants and things to do, plus you're centrally located so it's easy to get around. plus it's one of the prettiest neighborhoods, with the parks surrounding the monument. there is a JHH resident that lives on my street as well.