1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Where to live near Georgetown?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Qoo, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hello.. My boyfriend might go to Georgetown next year. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for him on where to live? He wants to live somewhere that is walkable to the medical school and also nice. Any ideas?

How about buying a condo? Is that an idea?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pipper

pipper Member
    7+ Year Member

Woo I hope your boyfriend is well off because living within walking distance of GT will be quite expensive. That is the million dollar home area. If he can tolerate a short commute, there is more affordable housing about twenty minutes away from campus.

4. ValleyGal

ValleyGal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

did you not believe me when i answered your question in the allo forum????? housing around g-town is unaffordable to buy. you would be lucky if you find 1 room to rent in that area

5. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ValleyGirl,

I do beleive you. I made the two post at the same time. Check the date. I'm not dissing you. I just want my topic to be ready by many people so I can get a lot of responses..

6. Mistress S

Mistress S Don't mess with the S
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Qoo,
    I don't know if I can be of much assistance, but I spent last summer in DC and got a good feel for the neighborhoods. GT is ridiculously expensive, but there is decent public transportation (the metro is great) so if your bf is willing to commute it might be worth it to look into surrounding areas, although living in any decent DC neighborhood is going to cost. I stayed in an apartment in the dupont circle area, about 15 min. from georgetown, and I thought it was a great neighborhood- lots to do, tons of great bookstores and restaurants. It's not cheap either, but fortunately I wasn't paying for it. You might try doing an apartment search on <a href="http://www.springstreet.com," target="_blank">www.springstreet.com,</a> you can search for apartments located near a specific college on that site, and it will give you more of a feel for what's available in your price range. Good luck!

7. I went to school there undergrad. There are really nice places near GU such as the Burleith area and places around Reservoir Road. But they are tres expensive and he'd probably need a few roomates. Now if he ventures out into Rosslyn (just over the Key Bridge) or other places in MD or DC, he'll be okay because the rent is cheaper, and GU has a cool shuttle service that leaves from various metro locations. Plus, the metro in DC if pretty good.

8. DesperatelySeekingMD

DesperatelySeekingMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Here is my advice as a native Washingtonian...
    I would forget about buying anything around GU...There is a huge housing crunch in DC, with the revitalization that has happened over the past few years. Anything that is on the market is going very fast and for a ridiculous amount of money. You will be lucky to find somewhere to rent.
    It is expensive to rent around there and hard to find a place, but I wouldn't rule it out right away. It depends how much the conveinence of being close to school is worth to you. DC does have a good metro system, but the closest metro stop to GU is Dupont Circle, then you take a Georgetown Shuttle bus to the school. And the street parking around the school is all on a zone system- in other words you can't park there for more than 2 hours unless, you have a DC zone sticker for that zone. The only way that you can get that is to have your car registered in DC and then have a residence in that zone. Those are some valuable stickers! I don't know about parking on campus, but if it is provided it will be very expensive. So, for me it would be worth a good bit to live near campus, especially with late nights.
    Contact the school for any good places to live. They also may know of places need renters for next year.
    But, the best advice I can give you is to start seriously looking now...this is when all of the housing for the fall will be decided!
    Good luck!

9. ValleyGal

ValleyGal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think that parking is around $1000 each year