Where to live north of Boston with easy commute to Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kef318

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to attend Tufts next year. My husband will be working north of the city. We are trying to figure out where to live as inexpensively as possible (within reason), while having a relatively easy commute. We were only have 1 car, so one of us will have to use mass transit.

Members don't see this ad.

Back Bay isn't north of Boston.

If you want to stay within the MBTA limits, I know the Medford/Somerville/Malden areas have relatively affordable housing. Medford/Somerville will put you on the Red Line, which will get you to walking distance of Tufts Medical Center (the stop you need for the dental school), whereas Malden will put you directly on the Orange Line which will get you straight to Tufts. Their commutes will probably be comparable - around 25-35 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to live in Waltham MA when I attended Harvard. Commuter rail took me to porter square, then jumped on the red line to Harvard square. Takes a wee bit longer to get to Boston but worth it because you save $$ in rent.

Malden is great and quite place.