Where to put volunteer experience on application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceebies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would be the most suitable place to put relevant volunteer experience on an application? Would you list it under Employment Experience in the application form even if it (not being a paid position) isn't strictly employment? Or would you leave it out and put it on your CV/resume?

The reason I'm asking is because my relevant paid experience is limited to only one research assistant position with the rest being volunteering experiences. So even though they aren't paid positions they are relevant to my application and I do want to make sure it is noted.

Members don't see this ad.

Is your volunteer experience related to research or the mental health field? If so, it definitely counts. Paid research experience is pretty rare. People assume undergrads are volunteering their time. I included volunteer research positions in my employment experience and on my CV. If it's related mental health experience (like volunteering at a domestic violence shelter or substance abuse clinic), you can put it in your CV (I may have put this in the employment section too-- can't remember).

Is your volunteer experience related to research or the mental health field? If so, it definitely counts. Paid research experience is pretty rare. People assume undergrads are volunteering their time. I included volunteer research positions in my employment experience and on my CV. If it's related mental health experience (like volunteering at a domestic violence shelter or substance abuse clinic), you can put it in your CV (I may have put this in the employment section too-- can't remember).

It's mental health volunteering experience - counseling, mentoring, etc. I'm applying to equal emphasis programs.

On a related note, is it not worth listing experiences that aren't related to research or mental health on the application then? (I had a retail job prior to my research assistant job.) Definitely not listing it on my CV, but wondering if grad schools are trying to gauge what applicants have been doing if there are gaps in employment history.