where to send letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaybird

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know where im supposed to tell my teachers to send the LOR. is it supposed to be sent to AMCAS?? and i was wondering what are your thoughts about interfolio? how does it work and how do my teachers upload letters and is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know where im supposed to tell my teachers to send the LOR. is it supposed to be sent to AMCAS?? and i was wondering what are your thoughts about interfolio? how does it work and how do my teachers upload letters and is it worth it?

From what everyone is saying interfolio is definately the lifesaver. LORs are sent directly to the school unless you use interfolio then its uploaded to the site and you designate where it goes. I haven't used interfolio yet, but I believe is this correct.

ya thats what ive heard too, but what bout the schools that dont work with interfolio? how do u get letters to them> do u send to AMCAS and AMCAS sends out letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what everyone is saying interfolio is definately the lifesaver. LORs are sent directly to the school unless you use interfolio then its uploaded to the site and you designate where it goes. I haven't used interfolio yet, but I believe is this correct.

Yes I used interfolio last year, DEFINITELY a great service, highly recommended. (I found out about it after an SDN member recommended it) Letters are sent by the recommender directly to Interfolio (by mail or uploaded & signed electronically) The best two things about this service are:

1) letter writers mail 1 letter total rather than separate letters to each school, no need to ask the writer if they sent letters to school 5 and school 8 and school 12.

2) student has complete control over when letters are sent out and to which school, many schools accept interfolio letters "electronically" and they are "sent" from interfolio to the school within 1/2 day or less.

as an aside, I've lost touch with one person who wrote me a LOR, but she sent it into Interfolio, so no problem having this LOR forwarded to schools.

Finally, price is good, around $15 annual membership + a couple bucks (around $4-5) per "packet" of letters sent to an individual school.

ps I have spoken with quite a few schools and have not heard of any that will NOT accept interfolio or similar services, some schools i.e. Colorado will ONLY accept an electronic letter consolidation service like Interfolio.

ya thats what ive heard too, but what bout the schools that dont work with interfolio? how do u get letters to them> do u send to AMCAS and AMCAS sends out letters?

AMCAS will be accepting letters from Interfolio users on behalf of the twenty schools that are participating in the AMCAS LOR pilot program. For a list of those 20 schools, please look here - http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcasletters.htm

When an Interfolio user is ready to send their letters to AMCAS they can either search for "AMCAS" or one of the 20 participating schools in Step 1 of the delivery process. You'll just need to select the position for AMCAS, select your documents, and send your delivery on its way. AMCAS will then be in charge of getting your letters to your targeted schools.

For more specific questions about the AMCAS process, please contact them directly or reference this page: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcaslettersfaq.htm

If you have questions about the Interfolio side of things, please send us an e-mail at [email protected]. You can also reach us via phone at 202-223-3358 or toll-free at 877-77-FOLIO.

Good luck to all applicants!

Jack Gaynor
Interfolio, Inc.

so if i dont use interfolio i basically hve to have each person send the LOR to every school i apply to right?

My college has an LoR submission service that they require us to use. The problem here is they only will send a max of 3 letters. I decided to work for 1 year after I graduated so I have 4 letter writers willing to write me strong letters. They each can say something different and good about me ( 2 letters from profs from my college, 1 from shadowing a doctor, and 1 from work).
Would I be able to ask one of the letter writers to upload via the AMCAS service or would that get confusing? How did other people go about this?