Where to start? (Mcat)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medDaisuki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question. But I'm currently a sophomore and going to apply formed school next summer so I'm planning to study for Mcat during the summer.
The question is I have no idea where to start. I have taken most pre-reqs except biochemistry. Do you guys have any suggestions? Should I start with buying those prep books? Which book do you guys recommend?
Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start.

Why not start with a diagnostic exam, to see where you stand? Helps to get a feeling of the exam, as well as figure out your weak areas.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the AAMC's "What's on the MCAT Exam?" pages: What's on the MCAT Exam?

Starting with the section you think you'll find easiest, go through each topic line by line and study it using whatever method you've chosen (books, Khan Academy, etc.) This way you'll avoid spending time studying topics that aren't actually on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the AAMC's "What's on the MCAT Exam?" pages: What's on the MCAT Exam?

Starting with the section you think you'll find easiest, go through each topic line by line and study it using whatever method you've chosen (books, Khan Academy, etc.) This way you'll avoid spending time studying topics that aren't actually on the MCAT.
What prep books should I buy??

I didn't use any...the $200+ I spent on the AAMC online practice materials (which I'd say are basically mandatory if you want a good score!) cost quite enough for me already, so otherwise I used free materials to study from
You can read through the stickied "509+ MCAT" thread in this forum to see which books successful students used: 509+ MCAT Study Habits