Where to start on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lurker1087462

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm 2nd year undergrad majoring chemistry/biochemistry.. Right now, I'm wrapping up my first semester of 2nd year in college, and I took a mock MCAT today..(sponsored by Kaplan)

I got V=7, PS=7 and BS=10. I haven't studied for MCAT before (I didn't even know what I was tested on or what's on MCAT), but even considering that the score was lower than I expected. (Considering average MCAT score for those accepted to med school is around 30)

I have so far taken 1 semester of O. Chem, 1 semester of general biology, 2 semesters of physics, 1 semester of inorganic chemistry (I took AP chem in high school) and 2 semesters of English..

I would really want to get 36+ on MCAT because the school I really want to go has average MCAT score of 36, but I don't know where to start... Am I getting worried about this way too early or too late? What did you guys started when you guys are preparing for MCAT?

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Members don't see this ad.

wow you did pretty good for someone who hasn't studied for the MCAT yet...a lot of people i know get that after studying..lol

I think it is a little too early for you to start worrying about it now...I haven't taken my MCAT yet either, but most people tell me that if 2-3 month prep for the exam is good

Hey guys,

I'm 2nd year undergrad majoring chemistry/biochemistry.. Right now, I'm wrapping up my first semester of 2nd year in college, and I took a mock MCAT today..(sponsored by Kaplan)

I got V=7, PS=7 and BS=10. I haven't studied for MCAT before (I didn't even know what I was tested on or what's on MCAT), but even considering that the score was lower than I expected. (Considering average MCAT score for those accepted to med school is around 30)

I have so far taken 1 semester of O. Chem, 1 semester of general biology, 2 semesters of physics, 1 semester of inorganic chemistry (I took AP chem in high school) and 2 semesters of English..

I would really want to get 36+ on MCAT because the school I really want to go has average MCAT score of 36, but I don't know where to start... Am I getting worried about this way too early or too late? What did you guys started when you guys are preparing for MCAT?

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Your diag score is very good. I think you are in good shape right now. Buy the examkracker books and/or take a prep class and get cracking on studying. But make sure you finish all your prereqs first.
I suggest you search around the threads made by Vihsadas and BloodySurgeon. They have some good guides for beginners.

This early on, Id say study lightly, but focus your time on finding a research position or volunteering. If you plan on taking it your junior year, you have a good year to study. Spend maybe 6 months to go through all of Exam Krackers once, and the last 6 months doing hardcore review, kaplan, tests, practice, the whole shabang.

Great score on the diag, by the way! Those Kaplan diagnostics are usually scaled harder so it makes you do their course. I am sort of interested in seeing what you would get on AAMC 3 or something. Dont waste the exam now though :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Just because the average of those accepted to medical school is around 30, does not mean that you should expect to score that on your first attempt. In fact, VERY few people get a 30 on their first attempt. Most people get anywhere from a 16 to a 26. So you're doing okay. The MCAT is not an exam you should be able to sit down and ace so get that attitude out of your head immediately. You have to study for it, and study hard.

There really is no need to worry, take a Kaplan course or something this summer and they'll show you how to study. Your sciences are really going to be fine, if you want to start reviewing now already, just do a Kaplan comprehensive review book. The hardest part to bring up is verbal, for that I would suggest examkrackers. Good luck and nice practice scores!

im studying now using examkrackers

my kaplan diagnostic was
v4 bs9 ps8 and ppl told me that was good apparently. but so far ive only studied examkrackers verbal and have been getting 10-11 on the examkrackers diagnostics for verbal so i really think examkrackers helps.