where to start studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my MCAT studying/prep in the fall and I was wondering what tools are useful to start off with and for the whole thing? My plan is to try and study on my own using the breakdown of materials covered in each section that is on AMCAS-MCAT site. but as far as what tools are good for this I dont know any suggestions? I dont want to take any courses such as Kaplan until I see if I am doing ok on my own (judging by practice test scores).

Members don't see this ad.

i took the mcat many years ago, so take this with a grain of salt, but i found the most helpful resource was a college curriculum that covered as many areas of importance on the test as possible, followed by practice tests (i took four, i would think eight or more would be ideal). i tried to use the kaplan review book but it was much too large. consider that the primary references for medical students studying for the licensing exams step 1 and step 2 are only a fraction the size of the kaplan mcat book. anyway, although you may not find the above too helpful in answering your question, it is my feeling about that exam.

rc

i too am wondering the same thing... keep an eye on my thread "advice for studying during the semester"... it hasnt had an responses yet, but it is similar to your question....