Where to start with the MCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Clippers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I want to get your opinion. So I have the TPR, TBR, Kaplan review books. Where did you guys start with studying MCATs? It just seems so overwhelming. I'm a 4th year and not sure when I'll be taking the MCATs. I want to content review so I'll use TPR and TBR. But how did you guys even begin with all this? How did you guys/are you guys approaching the MCATs? reviewing then doing problems? I would love to hear opinions because I"m trying to find a direction right now. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same exact issue. The truth is you don't have to read all of them. The Kaplan bio section is the best out there cause it's so easy to read and it's ALL you need to know for MCAT bio. Then the TPR has the best physical sciences section. You really only need about 2-3 month to study for the test. For physical sciences, I read the TPR and I did all of their review book examples. For bio, I didn't do any practice questions nor any for o chem. I actually strongly advise using examkracker for ochem. For verbal, all you need to do is use the examkracker verbal 101. That thing really really works! There is no need to do a bunch of kaplan or TPR practice tests unless you just want extra practice, but after the content review, make sure that you have at least 3 weeks to do nothing but the actual AAMC tests. Those are going to predict your score the closest. Let me know if you have any other questions :) gluck!