Where to start??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jules0328

DOSchoolWannaBe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: I just bought the Kaplan MCAT Comprehensive Review Book today and plan on studying all of August and on...I would start right now but I am taking Chem at this moment, and working full time. All I have time for right now is Chem. But, come August I am going to start studying.

Question, how should I study. Since I have only taken Bio I, Chem I and Physics I, that is all the material that I am comfortable doing as of now. I glanced through the MCAT book and while some stuff looked very familiar, almost fresh still in my memory, a lot of it was stuff that I have not taken yet.

Should I review from the actual MCAT material given (the bio section, chem section, etc)? Or should I study from my own notes that were originally given to me in my classes? Also, as far as physics formulas, do you have to memorize all of the formulas, or are they given on the test? Sorry so ignorant, but, this is my first time doing this. Suggestions, and or recommendations would be appreciated. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

jules0328 said:
:confused: I just bought the Kaplan MCAT Comprehensive Review Book today and plan on studying all of August and on...I would start right now but I am taking Chem at this moment, and working full time. All I have time for right now is Chem. But, come August I am going to start studying.

Question, how should I study. Since I have only taken Bio I, Chem I and Physics I, that is all the material that I am comfortable doing as of now. I glanced through the MCAT book and while some stuff looked very familiar, almost fresh still in my memory, a lot of it was stuff that I have not taken yet.

Should I review from the actual MCAT material given (the bio section, chem section, etc)? Or should I study from my own notes that were originally given to me in my classes? Also, as far as physics formulas, do you have to memorize all of the formulas, or are they given on the test? Sorry so ignorant, but, this is my first time doing this. Suggestions, and or recommendations would be appreciated. :confused: :confused: :confused:

No need for apologies, if we minded we just wouldn't answer. Well I guess some folks would make fun, but most of us would just skip the post :laugh:

My advice is do well in your classes so you have a good foundation, but when you're studying for the MCAT just use MCAT study material. If you run into something you just can't understand, then maybe go back to your notes or textbook, but for the most part class materials go into too much detail.

Use multiple sources to study. ExamKrackers is a really popular one I see discussed on here for home study. They have a website, check them out too. Order the AAMC tests off their website and take all of them. Save several (like 6R and 7) for the end of your study to be sure you're where you need to be.

Hope I helped! :luck:

When are you planning to take the MCAT? Next April? If so, it's a little early to be studying. Whatever you review now is not likely to be still in your head in 2005, especially since you will be taking classes in fall and spring.

I believe beginning to study 4 months before you officialy take the MCAT is optimal. Since you are still taking the pre-req courses, you could read the corresponding MCAT book chapter along side your textbook. I found I have a better chance of understanding difficult material if I read them from different sources. This way, you are preparing for MCAT while also enhancing your course performance.

As for formulas, you must memorize them. Occasionally a passage will give you a formula, but it's rare.

jules0328 said:

Yeh, I'm agreeing with the guy that posted before me. If you are taking the exam next spring/fall just sit back and take it easy. If not, you're nuts. Never take the MCAT until you're ready. If you make a 22 it'll haunt you for ever.

Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
silkworm said:
Since you are still taking the pre-req courses, you could read the corresponding MCAT book chapter along side your textbook. I found I have a better chance of understanding difficult material if I read them from different sources. This way, you are preparing for MCAT while also enhancing your course performance.

I should have probably asked this question here rather than another thread. On your suggestion - what about going through the MCAT type problems as well (in addition to reviewing the material in the MCAT book). For instance working through EK 1001, or other problem sets that are related to the subject area one is studying - or would you consider this a little early as well?

I totally agree with the above posters, and this is coming from someone who wanted to start studying way back when too. It just isn't a good idea....you might think it is, but its not.

One thing that I think IS good to do if you must do some prep is to get some mcat books and as you do something in a class, read that part of say, your Kaplan book. For instance, you're in bio and you just learned transcription so you read the genetics chapter of the Kaplan book. This is good I think because when it comes time to really study from that book it's going to look really familiar to you. It's always easier to study from a book you're familiar with I think.

Everybody is different, but I wouldn't do MCAT questions that early, if only because I want to have a big reservoir of MCAT material to practice on in that last two months or so.

But I think it's fine if you want to use MCAT questions to help in your course studies.

But take what I say with a grain of salt since I no longer remember the difficulty level of the undergraduate physics, chemistry and general bio classes. It's been 5-6 years since I took them. It's possible that MCAT material is easier than the class material. This is certainly the case with Orgo, which I took just last summer.

Y_Marker said:
I should have probably asked this question here rather than another thread. On your suggestion - what about going through the MCAT type problems as well (in addition to reviewing the material in the MCAT book). For instance working through EK 1001, or other problem sets that are related to the subject area one is studying - or would you consider this a little early as well?