where to start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oshinsr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT two times. My scores were:

MCAT 2007: P8, V6, B7 = 21 S
MCAT 2008: P7, V7, B9 = 23 P

I took the Princeton course both times. I'm going to take the exam once more this year on Aug 6th. This time I have decided to study on my own. I have all the Princeton books, some Kaplan material, and VR Examcarker book. But I really need help to figure out where to start. Can anyone help me out with this? I don't know how to approach this.

Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

The first step you have to take is analyzing what went wrong for both of your past MCATs. You really need to go in-depth here to figure it out. Analyze your past tests, your study strategies, everything.

Here's the post-test analysis stuff I post everywhere:

If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.

Some things to keep in mind when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

The next step, what materials have you gone through already? It looks like you will need to get more practice material. Retaking old practice material doesn't help you at all and artificially raises your score (because you've seen the material before).

Try exam krackers. I loved those books.

Also, you may want to try doing some more questions. You need to be constantly updated on your progress and questions do that for you.

The first step you have to take is analyzing what went wrong for both of your past MCATs. You really need to go in-depth here to figure it out. Analyze your past tests, your study strategies, everything.

:thumbup: Agree completely; I like the way this guy thinks. You've got to acknowledge that you're not going to fall ass-backward into a good score. You took the MCAT once, made some mistakes, then didn't get the score you wanted. The next year, same mistakes, same score. If you want the score to get better, you've really got to go over your errors with a fine toothed comb and study effectively.