Where to Stay in LA (Step 2 CS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fromthesnow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who lives in LA, or who did their Step 2CS exam there...

Where should I stay. I know the hotels listed on the website (below).

But are they all in walking distance? Are they nice and quiet enough to study?

THANKS!!

*Hacienda Hotel ($)
525 North Sepulveda Boulevard (0.4 miles from the center)(mention CSEC - LA) (310) 615-0015
www.haciendahotel.com
*Doubletree Hotel Los Angeles International Airport ($$)

1985 East Grand Avenue (0.5 miles from the center)(mention CSEC rate) (310) 322-0999
www.doubletree.com
Courtyard by Marriott - El Segundo/LAX ($$)

2000 East Mariposa Avenue (0.7 miles from the center) (310) 322- 0700
www.marriott.com
Travelodge LAX South ($)
1804 East Sycamore Avenue (0.9 miles from the center) (310) 615-1073
www.travelodge.com
Hilton Garden Inn El Segundo ($$)
2100 East Mariposa Avenue (0.9 miles from the center) (310) 726-0100
www.hilton.com
Ramada Plaza Hotel LAX - El Segundo ($)

5250 West El Segundo Boulevard (1.3 miles from the center) (310) 536-9800
www.ramada.com

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC has a special corporate rate with Sheraton Gateway in LA. I think the Corporate code is either 308395 or 309385.

$135, very close to center, very nice rooms.

To anyone who lives in LA, or who did their Step 2CS exam there...

Where should I stay. I know the hotels listed on the website (below).

But are they all in walking distance? Are they nice and quiet enough to study?

THANKS!!

*Hacienda Hotel ($)
525 North Sepulveda Boulevard (0.4 miles from the center)(mention CSEC - LA) (310) 615-0015
www.haciendahotel.com
*Doubletree Hotel Los Angeles International Airport ($$)

1985 East Grand Avenue (0.5 miles from the center)(mention CSEC rate) (310) 322-0999
www.doubletree.com
Courtyard by Marriott - El Segundo/LAX ($$)

2000 East Mariposa Avenue (0.7 miles from the center) (310) 322- 0700
www.marriott.com
Travelodge LAX South ($)
1804 East Sycamore Avenue (0.9 miles from the center) (310) 615-1073
www.travelodge.com
Hilton Garden Inn El Segundo ($$)
2100 East Mariposa Avenue (0.9 miles from the center) (310) 726-0100
www.hilton.com
Ramada Plaza Hotel LAX - El Segundo ($)

5250 West El Segundo Boulevard (1.3 miles from the center) (310) 536-9800
www.ramada.com

stay near the airport

Actually I'm right staying in the Hacienda, using the wireless internet they provide. My test is on tomorrow and I walk to the testing building this morning. It was 10-minute casual walk. The fee is round $100 a day with discount for examinees. I think it's a nice choice. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey--

I just wanted to tell everyone that I ended up staying at the Hilton Garden Inn LAX for my step 2CS and they were great!

They have a shuttle that picks you up from the airport-- but will also drive you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel!!-- so they will take you to the test site and pick you up afterwards. They will also drive you the local shopping plaza that includes a Borders (in case you need to study the day before the test) and to the beach (in case you need to relax the day after).

They are also right next to a subway/train stop in case you want to see a bit more of LA and don't have a car while in LA.

http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=LAXAGGI

EVERYONE I know stays at the Hacienda. It is literally a 5-minute FREE shuttle ride to the hotel. The hotel has special rates for test-takers. It is walking distance to the test site. There is a grocery store and Starbucks right across the street, along with some strip mall restaurants. The hotel will hold your bag for you when you check out in the morning. It's pretty ideal...

EVERYONE I know stays at the Hacienda. It is literally a 5-minute FREE shuttle ride to the hotel. The hotel has special rates for test-takers. It is walking distance to the test site. There is a grocery store and Starbucks right across the street, along with some strip mall restaurants. The hotel will hold your bag for you when you check out in the morning. It's pretty ideal...

How do we get the special rate? Thanks!

Hey--

I just wanted to tell everyone that I ended up staying at the Hilton Garden Inn LAX for my step 2CS and they were great!

They have a shuttle that picks you up from the airport-- but will also drive you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel!!-- so they will take you to the test site and pick you up afterwards. They will also drive you the local shopping plaza that includes a Borders (in case you need to study the day before the test) and to the beach (in case you need to relax the day after).

They are also right next to a subway/train stop in case you want to see a bit more of LA and don't have a car while in LA.

http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=LAXAGGI
I liked the Hilton Garden Inn for Atlanta. They have an available cab to take you to the testing ctr, and it is a short drive there.

http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=ATLPHGI

I'm staying at Hyatt Place. Got special rate (not as cheap as hacienda) but wanted a nicer place to relax the day before and day of the CS. It includes breakfast...a block or two from the test site, and shuttle per-arranged. Will try to remember to repost after I get back.

After reading a lot of reviews and getting multiple options this is what I did.
I placed a Bid on a 3 1/2 star hotel on priceline for a 1 night stay in the El Segundo/ Manhattan beach area
Got a night at Marriot Manhattan Beach for 85 USD taxes included. (A pretty nice hotel) and it was a 5 min drive from the hotel to the CS location.
Rented a car for 19 dlls/Day (taxes included).
At the hotel I pre-ordered an ^In Room breakfast^ for 20 USD. And just like I ordered it, it was on my door at 6:45am. It was totally worth!!
I was out from the hotel by 7:25 am and arrived at the parking place of the towers by 7:31 am.
Over all this is what it amounted to
85 Dlls for the fancy hotel (you can find similar deals at any ^name your own price^ online travel agent such as priceline, or hotwire) All you have to do is to select the area where you want the hotel to be, and you will be okey with any of their choices.
$20 for a rather fancy in room breakfast the day of the exam
20$ for a car rental, which gave me the flexibility to drive to the place the night before, and scout the area a little bit to look for a place for dinner the night before (There are plenty of places in the area), and I also had a place to live my stuff while I was taking the exam.
So at the end it was $135 USD for hotel, fancy breakfast and the flexibility of a rental Car.
TOTALLY worth it.
Having to depend on a shuttle to take you here or there honestly sucks. Im more of an independant type of guy, and I honestly think this was the best thing to do.
Just as an FYI, the hotel could have been even cheaper had I chosen a hotel with less stars, but hey! I wanted to rest in a nice comfortable place, so it was worth it. and for what I see, I paid way less than what must of you guys are paying by making reservations straight in the hotels (even with their so called Discounts for CS takers). So get creative! you will have fun and save a couple of bucks.
And no, I am not a travel agent or so, lol., but traveling is one of my hobbies, and the experience that I got while traveling around surely helped me make this experience a little bit less stressfull :).