Where to take pre-reqs if you already have a bachelor's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bear729

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have a bachelor's degree and am having trouble getting into prereqs. As a non-student at most schools, I can't get priority registration, therefore, all the classes I need get full before I can register. And a lot of the community colleges don't have the classes I need.

Has anyone else who has already graduated had this problem? If so, where did you take your pre-reqs and how did you get into the classes you needed?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

wow that sucks, i had the same problem for summer classes but finally found one

when are you taking them, in the summer? fall?

if in the summer then look EVERYWHERE, literally. I checked about 20+ schools

why don't you speak to your old school advisor, i'm sure they can help you out

I'm in Washington state where everything is on the quarter system - kinda makes it hard to look at too many other schools b/c the dates and times are off since most schools are on the semester schedule.

I'm still looking....I think I've looked at about 15 schools so far! I want to take something in the Spring quarter but it's not looking good.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can try enrolling in an extension program from your alma mater or other university close to you. The majority of courses offered by extension programs are vocationally oriented but I do believe some programs allow you to take regular courses (pharm prereqs) offered by the university.

If you do decide to take the prereqs via extension you may also be placed at lower priority compared to other undergraduate students. Some of my colleagues have been successful in getting their courses this way. It's jut a matter of persistence.

Thanks!

I'm trying to do the extension course thing at the Univ of Washington, but I think that there are just too many science oriented people up here b/c everything is full! ahhhhhh!

I've even thought about applying to do a 2nd bachelor's degree (just to be able to register somewhere) but a lot of schools have stopped allowing that.

I already have a bachelor's degree and am having trouble getting into prereqs. As a non-student at most schools, I can't get priority registration, therefore, all the classes I need get full before I can register. And a lot of the community colleges don't have the classes I need.

Has anyone else who has already graduated had this problem? If so, where did you take your pre-reqs and how did you get into the classes you needed?

Thanks!!

yeah... i pretty much had the same problem. it was very frustrating. i ended up having to give myself more time before i can finish all the pre-reqs. try your best to enroll in/put yourself on the waitlist for a community college. university extension/open university usually costs 4 or 5 times more than cc. at first all the classes i wanted were full, and i had to show up to different lectures just to see if the professor can squeeze me in. sometimes you'd encounter profs that are willing to take more students than the supposed "maximum." i also took classes at night and during winter/summer short sessions as they are less popular (esp science courses). good luck and best wishes w/ your application process!

it totally sucks. this week, i'm supposed to show up at all 15 of the biology labs in the hopes that someone doesn't show up and they get dropped.... of course, i'm competing w/ 15 other people for these spots... oh well, what can you do.

i'm trying to avoid it, but i too may have to put off pharm school for another year to get all the prereqs in.

I had an anatomy class that way. There were 10 of us on the the wait list. We had a lottery 6 slots went to lottery, which I lost. I showed up for the first two weeks before I finally got in due to attrition.

Hope things work out for you.

I took my pre-reqs at CC and Berkeley extension. For summer school, there was open enrollment without priority for anyone. For the other classes, I just kept showing up until the class emptied out enough for me to take it. In the second semester of biology, I surprised even the intsructor when it turned out, after three weeks, enough people had dropped that I could take the class.

I'm doing the rest of my pre-reqs at a local university. I prepared early (the spring before) by looking up the schedules and finding out who the professors were. Then I emailed them, or if the professor was TBA I emailed the department, and told them my situation and if they could let me into the class. One professor was okay with that and submitted override codes for my registration. The other class, I just stood in line because it was an intro freshman class, so I wouldn't be registering too far behind them. Then the following quarters, I made friends who registered as seniors, and they saved me seats :D. They just dropped the class the day before I registered and I got the spot. But emailing the department or professor (and making friends, heh) is my advice.

...Then the following quarters, I made friends who registered as seniors, and they saved me seats :D. They just dropped the class the day before I registered and I got the spot. But emailing the department or professor (and making friends, heh) is my advice.

That's just cool. I'd have never thought about having people save seats for me.

The same thing happened to me. Try petitioning your registration date to see if you can get one that has a higher priority/earlier registration time. I did that and the counselor let me because I only had to take 2 or 3 classes at the CC and I basically would never be able to accumulate enough units to give me priority registration. If that doesn't work, just keep going to class because a lot of people usually end up dropping science classes after a couple weeks. Hang in there and good luck!

wish you luck there. i know it's hard to get into science courses at a cc and it costs a lot at the university. i had to go thru extension and we have the lowest priority. i asked and was instructed that i should try approaching the professors teaching the course of interest a semester/qrter ahead.

I went back to the school I received my BS and re-admitted as an undergraduate chem major. It was easier because the application was only 1 page and you usually get prioroty into the program. I had so many credits from my first degree and so I had first priority on all my classes. Maybe you can do something like that.

I had the same problem when I went back to school. I had to watch the waitlist every morning and even attend the class a few times before I finally got a seat. After that, I just applied to the school as a part time student working on a second bachelors degree, even though I never plan to get a second one. I was able to transfer in almost 100 credits from the first time I went to school, so now I get priority registration. Sounds like it might be tough to start this quarter, but you can always apply for the summer or fall, if you don't get in.

Thanks!

I'm trying to do the extension course thing at the Univ of Washington, but I think that there are just too many science oriented people up here b/c everything is full! ahhhhhh!

I've even thought about applying to do a 2nd bachelor's degree (just to be able to register somewhere) but a lot of schools have stopped allowing that.

Wow. You're scaring me here, but I guess it's a good thing, since everyone's coming up with some great advice. I'm also trying to get my prereqs in (preferably at the UW) following a BA, and I had no idea it would be hard to get into the classes! My alma mater's science courses practically never filled up, even though they'd get real crowded.

Which courses do you need? I've got to take General Bio (I can't believe they don't accept AP, ugh), Microbio and Statistics. Maybe I'll see you in those first few weeks, hoping someone will drop...

I would email the professor for the course, or the department head. I had that same problem my first year at ETSU. By the time they got around to letting me register all the classes I needed where full.

Professors know that a lot of students will drop after the first test, especially in science courses. So, they will usually allow more. Just tell them you need their class as a pre-req for pharmacy school.