Quantcast

where to take undergrad courses after graduation to raise gpa

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoe1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to make a decision of where to take upper level undergraduate science courses. I can take 2 of them at a "top" university, but the courses are mid day during the week, and I would have to cut back on work. Or, I can take them at a local 4 year college at night/on weekends. It is not a community college, but it is clearly not ranked as well as the "top" university. Will med schools still take the classes into consideration? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I think that med schools will take them into account regardless of where you take the courses.

Are both equal in cost, and equal in travel distance? Can you work with your supervisor to take your lunch and breaks in a lump when the day courses are held? Can you live with less income? Consider all these factors in making your decision.

Lokhtar

Dreaming about the lions
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take them where you think you'll get a higher grade.

JohnDoe1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take them where you think you'll get a higher grade.
The local university is cheaper. It is also much closer, and the classes are nights and weekends. At the "Top" school, I would be commuting 45 minutes to an hour each way, then have the 1-1.5 hour classes themselves during the week. Working during those days would be very hard...

At the same time, I want to do what will help my application the most.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The local university is cheaper. It is also much closer, and the classes are nights and weekends. At the "Top" school, I would be commuting 45 minutes to an hour each way, then have the 1-1.5 hour classes themselves during the week. Working during those days would be very hard...

At the same time, I want to do what will help my application the most.

go with what's cheapest. apps and interviews will bleed you dry (financially) later on.