Where will you be attending in the fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT4Life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I thought it would be fun to start a thread to see where us fall 2012 applicants will end up. :D I will be beginning the OTD program at Washington University. I have also included a list of schools I applied to and their decision in case you're curious. I did apply to a lot because it was my first year applying and I wanted to end up somewhere, lol. I look forward to reading your replies!

Interviews: Belmont, Chatham (declined), & University of Utah (declined)

Acceptances: Bay Path, Towson, University of Pittsburgh, University of Washington, Columbia, Washington University in St. Louis

Waitlisted: Sage & University of Wisconsin - Madison

Rejections: Indiana University (IUPUI)

Still waiting on: Belmont, UNH, & Concordia

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I thought it would be fun to start a thread to see where us fall 2012 applicants will end up. :D I will be beginning the OTD program at Washington University. I have also included a list of schools I applied to and their decision in case you're curious. I did apply to a lot because it was my first year applying and I wanted to end up somewhere, lol. I look forward to reading your replies!

Interviews: Belmont, Chatham (declined), & University of Utah (declined)

Acceptances: Bay Path, Towson, University of Pittsburgh, University of Washington, Columbia, Washington University in St. Louis

Waitlisted: Sage & University of Wisconsin - Madison

Rejections: Indiana University (IUPUI)

Still waiting on: Belmont, UNH, & Concordia
How much did you end up paying for applications/transcripts if you don't mind me asking? I am calculating my app costs because I want to apply to 10-12 schools (although originally was planning on 20) but not sure if it is too much money in the end. And what are your stats please? (You got accepted to a couple of schools I want to go to so would like to see what they look for).

Thanks

How much did you end up paying for applications/transcripts if you don't mind me asking? I am calculating my app costs because I want to apply to 10-12 schools (although originally was planning on 20) but not sure if it is too much money in the end. And what are your stats please? (You got accepted to a couple of schools I want to go to so would like to see what they look for).

Thanks

Hey Karine!
Having read a few of your post I'm having flashbacks of myself a year ago: stressing out, suffering from anxiety, and building a game plan lol. I applied into 15 prgs and was accepted into 3 of the 4 schools I interviewed with. It cost me about $5000 to apply... and would be glad to pay double that price as oppose to give up a year of my life and wait out a year if never accepted into any school.

Costs:
5 prerequisite courses + book and lab fees - $1900 (community college)
15 OTCAS apps - $765
Requesting and sending transcripts to OTCAS - $60
12 Sub application (all schools have different prices but on avg $50 a piece) - $600
3 face-to-face interviews (flights, hotels, car rentals) - $1650

*Other additional costs not factored
-Building a OT website
-Patent a goniometer design
-Once accepting Creighton University's invitation having to pay a deposit + resending transcripts + attaining/updating 5 of 11 immunization shots

Good luck w/ everything!!! :)
If you have any questions shoot me a message to my acct

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Karine,

Here is a cost breakdown of my schools but please keep in mind I just made it this morning and may be off. I'm sorry but I wasn't keeping track of money but it should give you a rough breakdown though:

$495 for OTCAS apps to 9 schools
(I applied to Thomas Jefferson as well but never finished my application)

$206 Supplemental apps for OTCAS schools

$115 GRE scores

$300 6 Schools non-OTCAS (this number is pure estimation and I think 2 schools were free)

$96 transcripts (both my university and AP scores from high schools had to sent)

$32 Stamps and mailing out packages since I live in a different state now than my university and LORs

~$1244 total

My husband and I also flew to TN, stayed for a week to do the tourist thing, & went to an interview but I won't factor that in here. ;P Just know to calculate in costs for interviews.

I also am sending you a PM. :)

Hope that helps!

Hi Karine,

Here is a cost breakdown of my schools but please keep in mind I just made it this morning and may be off. I'm sorry but I wasn't keeping track of money but it should give you a rough breakdown though:

$495 for OTCAS apps to 9 schools
(I applied to Thomas Jefferson as well but never finished my application)

$206 Supplemental apps for OTCAS schools

$115 GRE scores

$300 6 Schools non-OTCAS (this number is pure estimation and I think 2 schools were free)

$96 transcripts (both my university and AP scores from high schools had to sent)

$32 Stamps and mailing out packages since I live in a different state now than my university and LORs

~$1244 total

My husband and I also flew to TN, stayed for a week to do the tourist thing, & went to an interview but I won't factor that in here. ;P Just know to calculate in costs for interviews.

I also am sending you a PM. :)

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info. That is kind of what I calculated. I am counting about $100 per app counting my transcripts. What I didn't think about though is the additional fee not counted in OTCAS. I mean at this point I will spend the money for sure but am trying to plan and not have a total shock when I have to pay.

As for interviews/travel I am applying near NY (where I live) and if I have to go to CA for interviews I have a friend there so at least I can save hotel money.

When you had interviews- did you have any in the same week?

I did have interviews in the same week. I had Belmont's in the last week of January and then both Utah and Chatham's were on 02/09 and 02/10, respectively.

I spent around 1500 dollars applying to schools as well. It's my first year applying, and thankfully got accepted to about 1/2 the schools I applied to (8). I will be attending the University of Pittsburgh.

Thank you for replying!! :D Congratulations and have a great time! It's only like 2 months away.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and Congrats for getting in!!! I can see all he excitement for those starting this fall and it's making easier trying to figuring out apps and such! :)

Hello
I am curious to know how did you guys apply via OTCAS? How do you send the letter of recommendations? with signatures or what? and the official transcripts? in short . how does OTCAS work?

For those of you going to PITT have you figured out the housing situation? I was accepted to PITT and Western Michigan University, I am still trying to measure all the costs to make a final decision. I love both programs so much!

Congrats Gymnastau! I'm so glad you got in! My best advice is a pros and cons list, at least to get everything written down so you can really focus on what's important.

cvy123, I found OTCAS really easy. It opened for the 2012 cycle around July (?) and it's more or less a very simple online form. The essay was the last thing I completed, because it required so much editing and thinking to get it *just right*.

For LORs, you put the email addresses of your recommendation-givers and the system sends them a form which they post back to OTCAS. You get notifications when they submit. It's pretty easy.

When you order your transcripts you send your request with a OTCAS sheet that has a bar code on it. When they receive it they upload it to your OTCAS application. You can also see when those are received...

The most annoying part is typing in all of your classes and their grades. I had to order a transcript for myself as I couldn't remember all I took during undergrad.

I found it pretty intuitive and I did have to call them a few times but they were helpful there.

To answer the original post, I'm going to Colorado State University in Ft. Collins CO and I couldn't be happier about that fact!!!

Cvy123 - mco316 made a good post. OTCAS is a lot easier than it seems once it opens and you can look at it. It's pretty much just filling in a bunch of online forms, like when you make an online purchase. I believe you can also make an account this year just to see what it asks and what you need. It won't save any information for your 2013 application but it might be a good way to start gathering the info you will need (i.e., transcripts, personal statement). Hope that helps!

Gymnastau - Congratulations!!! I can't speak for the housing situation because I only looked for houses a few miles from downtown but I did want to wish you luck and let us know which you decide!

Mco316 - Congratulations!!! I honeymooned in CO and loved it. It's so beautiful there, although coming from sea level was hard to adjust in Aspen! Good luck there! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted to long island University! still waiting on a few more schools !

accepted to long island University! still waiting on a few more schools !
Congratulations!! Do you think that's where you will be going or are you wanting to get into a different school?

Accepted: American International College
Waitlisted: NYU
Waiting on: MWU IL & AZ.

NYCOT - Congratulations!! Do you plan on going to AIC or waiting on Midwestern or the NYU waitlist?

I'm headed to Puget Sound! UPS was always my first choice, mainly because of location and size of the school. I'm also completely smitten with their brand new facilities and their on-site clinic!

Now that this process is mostly said and done (I'm still waiting to hear from USC but I'm pretty sure my mind is made up) I feel silly for wasting my time obsessing and applying to so many schools! Granted, hindsight is 20/20 and there was NO way I could have known that I would get accepted into my favorite school, I just can't help but think of all the money I spent on application fees and transcripts!! I've attended 5 different schools so I had to send 5 transcripts to 8 schools plus 1 to OTCAS!!

I've avoided adding up the total cost because I just don't want to know...

OTPanda - UPS is a great school! Congratulations!! I'm so glad you got into your first choice! Do you live in WA already? I can totally understand about the cost but in the end, I'm so thankful I applied to so many because if I didn't get into my first choice, then at least I know I had awesome options. :) Good luck!

Congrats to everyone who got into school this year :) this is my second year applying and I will be attending Washington university in st Louis!! I can't wait!

Congrats to everyone who got into school this year :) this is my second year applying and I will be attending Washington university in st Louis!! I can't wait!
Oh yay! You're going to school with me! :D Will you be doing the OTD program? If not, I think both MOT and OTD take the same classes with each other anyway. Do you live in MO?

For those of you going to PITT have you figured out the housing situation? I was accepted to PITT and Western Michigan University, I am still trying to measure all the costs to make a final decision. I love both programs so much!
Yayyyyy soooo happy for you gymnastau! Your hard work and dedication paid off! Now comes the cost analysis and listening to your heart (above all)...

FlipFlops - I see you're going to NYU. Congratulations!! :D

FlipFlops - I see you're going to NYU. Congratulations!! :D
Yes I am, OT4Life! Thank you so much! I'm still in huge shock that I got in. Couldn't be more thrilled =) Congrats to you as well on the OTD program at Washington University! I briefly considered Temple because they let you start your post-professional OTD during your Master's but ultimately decided I need to take one step at a time. Hats off to you for your discipline and truly knowing what you want out of your education! It's seriously such an accomplishment to go into an entry-level OTD program!

Thanks FlipFlops! That's what I love about OT, there's such a range of programs so there's something for everyone and everyone can love their program. :) I'm so excited and I felt the same, shock but so unbelievably thankful! :D Good luck!

Congratulations frootloops!!! St. Augustine is an awesome little city and has a lot of history behind it. I've also heard great things about the OT program there. :) Have fun and good luck!

Oh yay! You're going to school with me! :D Will you be doing the OTD program? If not, I think both MOT and OTD take the same classes with each other anyway. Do you live in MO?

Hi! I'm in the MOT program..congrats on your acceptance! I'm actually from California so I'm expecting a big culture shock (at least a weather shock :) ) how about you? Are you from MO?

Hi! I'm in the MOT program..congrats on your acceptance! I'm actually from California so I'm expecting a big culture shock (at least a weather shock :) ) how about you? Are you from MO?

My brother went to SLU and he was super Californian. Six months later he was talking about the Cardinals, flurry, and Schnucks. If my brother can do it - you for sure can too. I would suggest going to an REI Gear Sale to get some good heavy jackets or snow boots for a cheaper price. Basically anything that has been returned ends up at these gear sales at about 60-80% off. These sales only happen 1x/month (the last Saturday). Heavy jackets, layering, shoe dryers, and a nice comforter. You should be set :thumbup:.

Thanks mco316. I'm out in Colorado right now actually helping one of my sister's with a move (down in Monument). Congrats on CSU, I've heard great things about the program and environment up in Ft. Collins!
Congrats Gymnastau! I'm so glad you got in! My best advice is a pros and cons list, at least to get everything written down so you can really focus on what's important.

cvy123, I found OTCAS really easy. It opened for the 2012 cycle around July (?) and it's more or less a very simple online form. The essay was the last thing I completed, because it required so much editing and thinking to get it *just right*.

For LORs, you put the email addresses of your recommendation-givers and the system sends them a form which they post back to OTCAS. You get notifications when they submit. It's pretty easy.

When you order your transcripts you send your request with a OTCAS sheet that has a bar code on it. When they receive it they upload it to your OTCAS application. You can also see when those are received...

The most annoying part is typing in all of your classes and their grades. I had to order a transcript for myself as I couldn't remember all I took during undergrad.

I found it pretty intuitive and I did have to call them a few times but they were helpful there.

To answer the original post, I'm going to Colorado State University in Ft. Collins CO and I couldn't be happier about that fact!!!
Thanks

i think i will be attending there in the fall its a condtional acceptance i just have to take one bio class this summer =) im waiting on one more school

Thank you very much, so they want you to type your classes and grades in community college and university? And to start early for 2013 admission, when is the good time start working on otcas

And to start early for 2013 admission, when is the good time start working on otcas

The day the cycle opens :) You can take your time completing it that way and submit it as soon as you're done.

I will be attending Utica College's weekend program

Shenandoah University in VA (hybrid program)

Glad to see so many in onsite/online programs!
I will also be attending one! Philadelphia University in the fall.
I am still in disbelief I actually got in!!! :)

My brother went to SLU and he was super Californian. Six months later he was talking about the Cardinals, flurry, and Schnucks. If my brother can do it - you for sure can too. I would suggest going to an REI Gear Sale to get some good heavy jackets or snow boots for a cheaper price. Basically anything that has been returned ends up at these gear sales at about 60-80% off. These sales only happen 1x/month (the last Saturday). Heavy jackets, layering, shoe dryers, and a nice comforter. You should be set :thumbup:.

Thanks so much frootloops!! That's super helpful I'll be checking REI out this weekend :)

Congrats everyone!!!

I'll be attending Texas Tech University. Their program starts this summer

Accepted to Barry (North Miami) weekend program and already paid my deposit.
Bay Path College, MA

Waitlisted @ Touro Nevada which is my first choice!!! keeping my fingers crossed
Waitlisted @ Towson and St.Catherine University, MN

Interviewed @ Rockhurst University in KC on April 10th

Rejections: Texas Tech, UTHSC San Antonio , University of Minnesota Twin Cities, A.T.Still Arizona, Duquesne University
Waiting to hear from bunch of other schools

I applied to 17 schools ( first time applying)

Last edited:
Acceptances: NYU, Pitt, BU, Tufts
Waitlist: UIC
Rejections: UNC Chapel Hill, MUSC

I will be attending Tufts.

I'll be attending AIC for fall 2012 also! :) Where will you be staying?

I will be attending St. Catherine University, MN this fall! congrats to everyone that was accepted and best of luck to all those still waiting! I'm rooting for all of you! :D

Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm interested in applying there as well for the next Fall 2012, Thank you!

If anyone was planning on attending University of Wisconsin-Madison, or at least got accepted/ waitlisted, would you mind sharing your stats? It's my top choice for when I apply this fall!!

If anyone was planning on attending University of Wisconsin-Madison, or at least got accepted/ waitlisted, would you mind sharing your stats? It's my top choice for when I apply this fall!!
I was waitlisted to UW-Madison and I had a 3.6 cum gpa and 4.0 pre-req gpa. Apply early to them! Like, seriously, the day their application opens (I think this year it was November 1st) you should submit your application. I had my stuff done in December and it still wasn't soon enough. Hope that helps!