Where would i present a poster?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've worked in my lab for over three years now and I have three to four projects that I will at some point in my life (unless I die before PI gets around to it >.< ) be a second author on. I've been waiting a long time and will continue to push for them to get through before I apply to med schools in June, but it's clearly time to take precautionary measures in case it doesn't work out.

I am going to make posters and I want to present them (solely to get more on my CV regarding the specific research projects i've worked on). The issue: I've seen a poster day taking place oh, here and there, every once in a blue moon on campus at UMDNJ where I SMP, but have no idea when the poster days are/who runs them/how to get involved. I will ask around, but in general, do people have advice for finding places to present posters? Are there events outside of my institutions I should look for? Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Have your PI/grad students/other undergrads not been helpful with this? I presented at a relatively new, small (~200), undergrad-only conference, which our PI recommended. It's sort of their job to know about these things.

Agreed, ask your mentor.

However, there should be newsletters for your department that should detail upcoming poster presentations/conferences at your school. You could also join the national society for your field (i.e. the Biophysical Society) which spams your e-mail about upcoming conferences and abstract deadlines.

Members don't see this ad :)
Part of the reason I asked SDN and not my mentor first is that he/she is a Dean and always incredibly busy - when he/she is even in the US. Furthermore, though I said 'lab', I actually do clinical research in a clinic - I am the only non-physician/nurse/tech/secretary in the place, and the only undergrad the place has ever taken in (this of course eliminates the possibility of asking other student researchers for their advice - there are no other student researchers). I suppose I'll get started with asking the research nurses if they know anything and end up setting up another meeting with my boss if need be. Thanks for the advice :)

Is there a graduate school associated with the clinic where you do your research? The easiest way to present your first poster is to present to a local group of graduate students and professors. Most graduate programs hold research forums at least once a year, and students can choose to either present posters or give talks on their research. If you have such a program, get in touch with a graduate school coordinator and ask when they hold the forum.

If that isn't an option, ask others in your group if there are conferences where they have presented research in the past. If your lab agrees, you may be able to send in an abstract and head to the conference.

NOTE: You still need to ask your PI for permission before you do any of these things. If you are second author, that means that this project is largely someone else's (not to mention that it is the legal property of your boss). Don't do anything without approval.

Most medical specialties have local/regional/national meetings where research is presented. You'd want to find the specialty most associated with what you are doing and see if there is a meeting anywhere near you. You'll have to submit an abstract and see if it is accepted. Write the abstract first. Don't bother making a poster until it/they are accepted as each meeting will have slightly different poster requirements.

Are you in Camden? (I know there is a UMDNJ campus there, don't know if it is the only one)

There are a lot of options in philly. Penn, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson all put on research days sponsored by the various AOA societies and Sigma Xi societies and all of them accept posters submitted by students from outside institutions.