1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

where would you go? (for a friend)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Sir William Osler, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Sir William Osler

Sir William Osler Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

my friend has had some great news, and i'm really curiuos where you guys would go:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Epi

Epi Fuzzy Tiger
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That looks like a tough choice. Congrats to that person!

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

What does your friend want to go into?

And is money an issue for her?

5. Sir William Osler

Sir William Osler Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm not sure what s/he wants to go into, but i would something competitive and something academic. I would also assume that money isn't a big issue, but i cannot say if it is not an issue at all. s/he seems to be really interested in reputation, so this is a tough choice.

i am envious of his/her position too :) .

6. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

SWO ENVIOUS???

haha..Bull$HIT!

I think the only ones envious are the ones looking at your list of choices :)

7. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

I'd go to the ends of the earth for a friend! ...
    or maybe just the end of the block

sorry, it was too easy :D

8. Incendiary

Incendiary Fantabulous Member
    10+ Year Member

Why do all these polls say you can't view the results without voting when it's very clear that you can? :confused:

9. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's really hard to give up a full ride...

With that in mind I was speaking with a 75 year old investment banker in the gym yesterday morning. I asked him a similar question about a higher ranked school vs. a scholarship at a lower ranked school.

He basically said that although 150k seems like a lot of money right now, a higher ranked school could get you things that a lower ranked school cannot. A better residency ....connections ....benefit of the doubt for certain things etc.

And no matter how much you pay after graduating from the lower ranked school you can never buy the things that you would have gotten at the higher ranked school.

Also he said something along the lines of: If I told you that in 6 years all of your dreams and goals as a man(or woman) would come true. You'd be financially set, you'd have your dream job, you'd be helping humanity, a nice home, and you'd be happy....but it would cost you 30k per year...would you do it?

There's another option your friend should consider. Tell the school of their dreams that they have a full ride at another school. Most likely the school of his dreams will pass some cash their way in order to try to entice them to attend...

10. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Incendiary:
    <strong>Why do all these polls say you can't view the results without voting when it's very clear that you can? :confused: </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">it's a scam to get you to vote
    eww.. brings back memories of scAMCAS.