Where would you go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elbow323

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I don't want to be beaten over the head aobut asking this...I looking for serious thoughts. Where would you go among UVA, NYU, Emory or Northwestern? Right now I'm leaning toward Northwestern because I love Chicago and I like their curriculum. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I have a similar choice. UChicago, Emory, Case, Cinci, and a good non-ranked state school. Cinci is out of state for me but I like the area and the school seems very good. I can't speak on the behalf of NW but Emory seemed to have excellent clinical opportunities so that might be something to consider. If you are dead set on opthamology Emory would probably be hard to pass up. Only thing with Emory is that I am a little sad about the grades thing though. I love Chicago but it is extremely cold. Just out of curiosity is UVa in state for you? If so it might be hard to turn down. That is pretty name brand for such low bucks. Don't know anything about NYU. One advantage to the big city schools like NW and NYU is that on your 4th year you can rotate through away rotations at a large number of other programs and still live at home. Good luck with your choice. Right now I am leaning towards UChicago, if I can afford it, but I still have know idea where I will go.

The most sensible way to decide is to choose the school where you think you will thrive best. Presumably, you will be competing for the most preferred residencies; how well you perform in medical school will be greatly affected by your competition, your comfort with the school and its location, with the style of the education--in short, a happy camper always has an edge, other things being approximately equal. If you choose a medical school because of "prestige", you are choosing to compete with those also bewitched by "prestige." Revisit--yourself, on site--before making a decision. Asking others on a web site--they are not YOU--is tricky; you don't know them nor do you know how much they resemble you in all the important ways necessary to make the best decision for YOURSELF. Otherwise, you must be attracted to an old game known as Russian Roulette. Take a revolver, put a bullet in one cylinder, spin the cylinder, then put the muzzle to your temple or in your mouth (your option), hold your breath and pull the trigger. If you are still alive, you win. If you are dead, you lose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by gower
Otherwise, you must be attracted to an old game known as Russian Roulette. Take a revolver, put a bullet in one cylinder, spin the cylinder, then put the muzzle to your temple or in your mouth (your option), hold your breath and pull the trigger. If you are still alive, you win. If you are dead, you lose.

hum, well, with all due defference to gower I don't think this decision is quite *that* serious!! choosing between med schools you like is a win/win/win situation, putting a gun in your mouth and pulling the trigger is a big lose/no change situation!

I would choose NW or NYU but then I'm a big-big city boy. I think academically, NW has the edge, unless you want to end up practicing in NY. However, it's also specialty dependent of course - which is probably too early to think about yet. Emory has some sweet scholarships though - so I would go there out of all of them if a scholarship were included in the deal. Maybe you should take a look over the FA offers before finalizing a decision...

Originally posted by gower
The most sensible way to decide is to choose the school where you think you will thrive best. Presumably, you will be competing for the most preferred residencies; how well you perform in medical school will be greatly affected by your competition, your comfort with the school and its location, with the style of the education--in short, a happy camper always has an edge, other things being approximately equal. If you choose a medical school because of "prestige", you are choosing to compete with those also bewitched by "prestige." Revisit--yourself, on site--before making a decision. Asking others on a web site--they are not YOU--is tricky; you don't know them nor do you know how much they resemble you in all the important ways necessary to make the best decision for YOURSELF. Otherwise, you must be attracted to an old game known as Russian Roulette. Take a revolver, put a bullet in one cylinder, spin the cylinder, then put the muzzle to your temple or in your mouth (your option), hold your breath and pull the trigger. If you are still alive, you win. If you are dead, you lose.

Word Gower....You need to post this on that stupid stanford or hopkins thread.

I'm not sure if that was an insult, Gower, but I wasn't implying that I'm incapable of making that decision. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insights on those schools in comparison to one another.

Originally posted by elbow323
I'm not sure if that was an insult, Gower, but I wasn't implying that I'm incapable of making that decision. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insights on those schools in comparison to one another.

I doubt Gower was trying to insult you. I think he is right though. I don't think you should be relying on SDN to give you insight. I think you will gain better insight from what you witness for yourself at the actual school. Second look day is the best way to get insight.

One man's trash is another's gold. What is awesome or cheesy about a school based on one person may not agree with what is awesome or cheesy to you about the same school. I think thats all gower was trying to get across. Just look at interview feedback, some people have positive impressions about a school while other may have negative opinions about the same school. The only way to settle it is to form your own opinion about the school when you interview there. You have been fortunate enough to have gotten multiple accepts. Do your own research about the school and try to visit.

Asking for people's thoughts on a group of schools is like asking people to tell you their thoughts on a group family sedans. some people will like one sedan over another for their personal reasons. There is no one perfect family sedan regardless of what these people or motor trend says. The perfect family sedan is the one that best suits the needs of the owner. The only way to determine that is to go to the dealership, test drive the car, and speak to the dealers about financing plans. When you purchase a car do you rely on what people on some message board tell you? I doubt it...if you are like most people you will go see what the car has to offer by going to the dealership yourself. I believe medical school is the same way.

You are lucky to have plenty of choices. Good luck with the decision.

Look, this is silly. No one is "relying" on a message board to make a decision. I've been to all of these schools, and I have my opinions of them. All I was asking was, perhaps other people had been to these schools and noticed or experienced things (good or bad) that perhaps I overlooked and that I would like to hear more about. I'm not relying on SDN to make my decision.

Look, this is silly. No one is "relying" on a message board to make a decision. I've been to all of these schools, and I have my opinions of them. All I was asking was, perhaps other people had been to these schools and noticed or experienced things (good or bad) that perhaps I overlooked and that I would like to hear more about. I'm not relying on SDN to make my decision.

I realize that. But those individuals' experiences(good or bad) aren't gonna mean that you will have the same experiences. If you overlooked it, then it probably wasn't important to you to begin with, right?

I would look at where you think you'll be happiest. Honestly, none of those schools are Harvard, but none of them are Osteopathic or Caribbean. They actually are all top schools that are in the same league. So I don't think one will give you an advantage over the other just by their name alone.

I would compare their curriculums and then decide. Good luck! ;)

Ok, I don't want to be beaten over the head aobut asking this...I looking for serious thoughts. Where would you go among UVA, NYU, Emory or Northwestern? Right now I'm leaning toward Northwestern because I love Chicago and I like their curriculum. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks.

I'd prolly go to NYU. It's in New York (which in my opinion is the best city out of all the ones mentioned), and it's got a big name.