Where would you go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would you go?

• Vanderbilt

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • Emory

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Wash U in St. Louis

Votes: 35 15.3%
  • UC San Diego

Votes: 73 31.9%
  • Penn

Votes: 122 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

robinhalldunn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone replying, would you mind submitting a reply with your reasons for picking whichever school you chose?

Thanks for your perspectives.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far! Keep 'em coming. However, I'm still wondering why people are voting for each of the choices. That would be really helpful. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a tough decision between San Diego and Penn. I might be biased but, I would select San Diego since it's close to home (I'm in Los Angeles) and atmosphere. Good luck mate!

did you get money anywhere? i'd say that should be the deciding factor

can't really go wrong anywhere

i only applied to vanderbilt and penn out of those, and both became my top 2 choices after visiting. fortunately, penn made my decision easy by waitlisting me lol

Oh look, it's this thread again http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804056

The exact same thread as last time, but it appears you've gotten into Penn as well. I suppose the ~20 replies did little to help narrow your selection from last time. I doubt my insight would help narrow an even larger list.

With the creation of multiple "which school should I go to" threads, I can't help but think you're fishing for posts about how people wish they could get into even one of these schools.

Try using SDN a little more constructively. Personally, I searched through previous year's threads and used MDApps to find people who were accepted to the same schools as myself and sent a PM. I asked them how/why they made their decision of one school over another. Ask them what they like/dislike about the school now. Ask them what they wish they paid more attention to during the application process. If you do a little work I'm sure you can find people who will give good answers to these questions.

On top of that...nobody here has any idea what you're looking for in a med school or what type of path you plan to pursue in medicine.

Go to second look weekends and meet the people that are considering that school too. How do you get along with them?

This message could probably be posted in any of the threads posted with the title "X vs. Y vs. Z" but your creation of yet a second thread simply listing all the schools you were accepted to comes off as rather "toolish". With that in mind, I would take many of the responses you receive with a grain of salt. If I was planning on attending one of the schools listed...I, personally, would try to steer you away from that school. I'd like to keep the amount of tools at my future school to a minimum.

Oh look, it's this thread again http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804056

The exact same thread as last time, but it appears you've gotten into Penn as well. I suppose the ~20 replies did little to help narrow your selection from last time. I doubt my insight would help narrow an even larger list.

With the creation of multiple "which school should I go to" threads, I can't help but think you're fishing for posts about how people wish they could get into even one of these schools.

Try using SDN a little more constructively. Personally, I searched through previous year's threads and used MDApps to find people who were accepted to the same schools as myself and sent a PM. I asked them how/why they made their decision of one school over another. Ask them what they like/dislike about the school now. Ask them what they wish they paid more attention to during the application process. If you do a little work I'm sure you can find people who will give good answers to these questions.

On top of that...nobody here has any idea what you're looking for in a med school or what type of path you plan to pursue in medicine.

Go to second look weekends and meet the people that are considering that school too. How do you get along with them?

This message could probably be posted in any of the threads posted with the title "X vs. Y vs. Z" but your creation of yet a second thread simply listing all the schools you were accepted to comes off as rather "toolish". With that in mind, I would take many of the responses you receive with a grain of salt. If I was planning on attending one of the schools listed...I, personally, would try to steer you away from that school. I'd like to keep the amount of tools at my future school to a minimum.

^^^Like :thumbup:

First of all, there's no need to make such negative, critical comments. If you don't see any use in this thread, then don't visit it.

Where do you want to be after medical school? A lot of people don't factor this in, but you often build relationships, attachments to an area, significant others, etc. while you're in medical school. It's the reason so many students tend to match either to their own program or to local programs in the same city as their medical school. They want to stay there because they've made friends, built a life, bought an apartment, etc. and don't want to leave.

Given your choices, I might eliminate Emory and WashU based on personal preferences. Emory is a great school, but I think in a league different than the others. WashU is in St. Louis, not the best city in the world. They give GREAT financial aid though, which is something to consider. I've heard personal stories from fellow classmates who interviewed there that they tend to pick students solely on MCAT scores and GPA....and generally results in a class that is more competitive with each other than other top schools. Something that also would have been a turn-off for me.

To me, it'd be a Vandy vs. UCSD vs. Penn. I worked at Penn for two years and can honestly say the medical school students there are as happy as they seem. It's clearly the highest rank school of the bunch. There are also some things that are off-putting about it, but for the most part, I think you'd be very happy in Philadelphia.

I'm vacationing in UCSD right now as I type this...and I'm loving it. It's a quiet city (though with enough to do, museums, parks, bars, clubs), and the beach and weather are beautiful. Everything also seems way cheaper than NorCal...which I'm living up. I don't know much about the med school though. Just that it's highly regarded.

Vandy is supposedly amazing and Nashville seems like a decent city compared to alternatives (St. Louis). If you're from Colorado and want to end up back West...Vandy or UCSD might be good proximity schools to still be a bit closer family. WashU as well, but I've already given my personal opinions about St. Louis.

I know a lot of people on this boards emphasis rank, but fit is really more important. I go to a Top 10 medical school, but honestly on reflection could have seen myself just as happy at a non-top school. The match lists and post-grad paths of top med school graduates has more to do with the students than it does with the education.

Where do you want to be after medical school? A lot of people don't factor this in, but you often build relationships, attachments to an area, significant others, etc. while you're in medical school. It's the reason so many students tend to match either to their own program or to local programs in the same city as their medical school. They want to stay there because they've made friends, built a life, bought an apartment, etc. and don't want to leave.

Given your choices, I might eliminate Emory and WashU based on personal preferences. Emory is a great school, but I think in a league different than the others. WashU is in St. Louis, not the best city in the world. They give GREAT financial aid though, which is something to consider. I've heard personal stories from fellow classmates who interviewed there that they tend to pick students solely on MCAT scores and GPA....and generally results in a class that is more competitive with each other than other top schools. Something that also would have been a turn-off for me.

To me, it'd be a Vandy vs. UCSD vs. Penn. I worked at Penn for two years and can honestly say the medical school students there are as happy as they seem. It's clearly the highest rank school of the bunch. There are also some things that are off-putting about it, but for the most part, I think you'd be very happy in Philadelphia.

I'm vacationing in UCSD right now as I type this...and I'm loving it. It's a quiet city (though with enough to do, museums, parks, bars, clubs), and the beach and weather are beautiful. Everything also seems way cheaper than NorCal...which I'm living up. I don't know much about the med school though. Just that it's highly regarded.

Vandy is supposedly amazing and Nashville seems like a decent city compared to alternatives (St. Louis). If you're from Colorado and want to end up back West...Vandy or UCSD might be good proximity schools to still be a bit closer family. WashU as well, but I've already given my personal opinions about St. Louis.

I know a lot of people on this boards emphasis rank, but fit is really more important. I go to a Top 10 medical school, but honestly on reflection could have seen myself just as happy at a non-top school. The match lists and post-grad paths of top med school graduates has more to do with the students than it does with the education.

Thanks for the helpful ideas!

Now, now, let's be nice all the way around.

I will say that the problem with these threads is that it requires people to have direct knowledge about the schools being compared. With two schools, I'm sure you can find dozens of folks who've made that decision (and I love the MDApps-then-PM suggestion made by OSU2015). With five schools, however, the chances are very small that any one person can help you think through all your options. I only know two of the schools in your poll and was going to vote for a third solely based on weather there until I realized that would be a disservice to you, so I didn't vote. Even MDEast, who was very thoughtful in his post, had to judge one school based on the city and weather.

I guess what I'm saying is this: you should be able to make a thread about whatever you want, but be somewhat reasonable about it. If you list five schools in a poll, you're really just asking for SDN to tell you "Which is the best school?" I'm actually quite surprised that the poll results aren't more in-line with USNWR. I guess the allure of San Diego will do that for folks... but anyway, take the results with a grain of salt.

Best of luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now, now, let's be nice all the way around.

I will say that the problem with these threads is that it requires people to have direct knowledge about the schools being compared. With two schools, I'm sure you can find dozens of folks who've made that decision (and I love the MDApps-then-PM suggestion made by OSU2015). With five schools, however, the chances are very small that any one person can help you think through all your options. I only know two of the schools in your poll and was going to vote for a third solely based on weather there until I realized that would be a disservice to you, so I didn't vote. Even MDEast, who was very thoughtful in his post, had to judge one school based on the city and weather.

I guess what I'm saying is this: you should be able to make a thread about whatever you want, but be somewhat reasonable about it. If you list five schools in a poll, you're really just asking for SDN to tell you "Which is the best school?" I'm actually quite surprised that the poll results aren't more in-line with USNWR. I guess the allure of San Diego will do that for folks.

Best of luck with your decision.

Good point. I realize that no one is going to post something that makes me suddenly realize where I'm meant to be (or anything like that). Sorry to anyone whom this thread frustrated or offended, but thanks to everyone who have made positive contributions.

I voted UCSD. I don't know anything about the school except that SD is beautiful and that the school is WAY less expensive than the others. Again, the fact that I only interviewed at one of these schools, and didn't even apply to or research the others goes to show you really can't glean too much from these polls.

Which school(s) are you leaning toward?

Which school(s) are you leaning toward?

Right now, I'm leaning toward either Penn or Wash U. Hard to decide, though. I'm going to as many of the 2nd look weekends as I can. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a better feel for each of the schools and figure out where I'll be the happiest.

I told you this in the last thread, but we need more information from you! I don't care if you're gloating about your acceptances, but in order for us to be able to help you, we need more information from you...what are you looking for, are you a fan of the cold, what do you plan to do afterwards, what specialties are you most interested in (although I'm sure this is bound to change...), etc. What criteria did you use to narrow yourself down to Penn and WashU? You provide nothing and ask for everything! I can certainly see where people get the sense that you're gloating comes from. Look at this guy's thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807584. He provides his thoughts, views, and opinions on schools that he's considering. It gives the rest of us something to go off of when trying to help you.

Given your choices, I might eliminate Emory and WashU based on personal preferences. Emory is a great school, but I think in a league different than the others.

mdeast, are you not contradicting yourself by saying this?

I told you this in the last thread, but we need more information from you!

Alright. I can do that.

I'm looking for a place where the students are genuinely happy and there is a definite emphasis on school/life balance. My ideal school would afford me enough unstructured time to study and to have a life. I also want to make sure that the atmosphere among the students is one of collaboration, rather than competition. That said, the more P/F, the better. In terms of curriculum, I was really impressed with the schools I visited that incorporated a strong problem-based learning component. I'm not sure what type of medicine I want to pursue after school, so I want a place that would provide strong training in primary care and clinical research.

In terms of climate, I'm pretty adaptable. Having lived in Denver all my life, I'm fine with the cold. I'd really like a place where I can ride my bike year-round - both for transportation and recreation. It would be nice to live in a city with a good job market (because my girlfriend is planning to move out with me) and a vibrant cultural scene.

I bet I'm missing a bunch of criteria, but these are the ones that I can identify so far.

Thanks for the help.

It would be nice to live in a city with a good job market (because my girlfriend is planning to move out with me) and a vibrant cultural scene.

I by no means am an expert on any of these cities, but I would guess that St. Louis and Nashville probably have worse job markets than Philly, Atlanta, and SD based on population size alone. All of the cities you're looking at have cultural scenes, but they're very different for each city (more information on what kind of culture you're looking for would be more helpful here...food, dance, music, people, etc.).

You're in a very fortunate position where the variable of ranking is irrelevant because all of the schools are pretty well ranked (EDIT: and pretty evenly ranked too...). As you make your decision, I only hope that you're looking at everything other than rank.

Alright. I can do that.

I'm looking for a place where the students are genuinely happy and there is a definite emphasis on school/life balance. My ideal school would afford me enough unstructured time to study and to have a life. I also want to make sure that the atmosphere among the students is one of collaboration, rather than competition. That said, the more P/F, the better. In terms of curriculum, I was really impressed with the schools I visited that incorporated a strong problem-based learning component. I'm not sure what type of medicine I want to pursue after school, so I want a place that would provide strong training in primary care and clinical research.

In terms of climate, I'm pretty adaptable. Having lived in Denver all my life, I'm fine with the cold. I'd really like a place where I can ride my bike year-round - both for transportation and recreation. It would be nice to live in a city with a good job market (because my girlfriend is planning to move out with me) and a vibrant cultural scene.

I bet I'm missing a bunch of criteria, but these are the ones that I can identify so far.

Thanks for the help.

Based on this info. Go with Penn. It's not competitive, Philly has a decent job market, it's urban and very bike friendly and it has a good balance of social life and school. Cost of living is lower than other NE cities but you'll still get the Northeast experience.

Based on this info. Go with Penn. It's not competitive, Philly has a decent job market, it's urban and very bike friendly and it has a good balance of social life and school. Cost of living is lower than other NE cities but you'll still get the Northeast experience.

Good points!

Alright. I can do that.

Thanks for the help.

I'll weigh in on the WashU side. School/life balance is awesome here. The week of finals is probably the only time I don't go out with friends at least a few times a week. Super collaborative environment. We have access to past years' tests. Classmates send out notes they took to the whole class. We're only P/F for a year, but compared to Penn, it's a semester longer of P/F. We don't have a super great PBL curriculum, but it's there enough to get a taste of it. Not a great primary care school, but research here is top-notch and funding for research is super easy to get.

StL isn't the most bike friendly place, but it's getting there. Plenty of my classmates bike to and from school, and there's the park next to the school with lots of bike trails. I really have no idea on the job market, but I'd suspect that would depend on what your girlfriend does.

Good luck with the decision. Both Penn and WashU are awesome schools, for sure. You can't go wrong with either.

What do you except from someone who uses a picture of themselves as their avatar?

What do you except from someone who uses a picture of themselves as their avatar?

Have a seat please \\___
Or better still, order a drink because you sound really thirsty.. hating doesn't look good on anyone, sir/ma'am.. not even you..

I dont get why people get mad at these sort of threads, obviously you aren't on a slave ship or in a concentration camp where you are forced to reply to threads you find annoying.. he has a dilemma, he asks a question.. granted he didn't elaborate in the beginning (he later did upon request from a person who actually cared to help)

if you dont wanna help out, that's fine, i doubt you would prove to be even slightly useful anyways...

and please please please.. if someone gets into all the ivy league schools that exist ( i'd like to meet them and congratulate them, lol), it is because they worked hard for it ( or at least to some degree). they don't need to go hide under a cliff because YOU and YOUR FRIENDS are insecure.. if you think they're bragging, go and start your own forum for 'humble' people.. it is a thing to be proud about if you got into med school...

definition of avatar: a movable three-dimensional image used to represent somebody in cyberspace

what is so wrong with having a personal photo then? Not my taste, but its not like he's the first to ever do it...

ok, i should go, otherwise like you, I'll soon be needing a drink.. or a seat...

Have a seat please \\___
Or better still, order a drink because you sound really thirsty.. hating doesn't look good on anyone, sir/ma'am.. not even you..

I dont get why people get mad at these sort of threads, obviously you aren't on a slave ship or in a concentration camp where you are forced to reply to threads you find annoying.. he has a dilemma, he asks a question.. granted he didn't elaborate in the beginning (he later did upon request from a person who actually cared to help)

if you dont wanna help out, that's fine, i doubt you would prove to be even slightly useful anyways...

and please please please.. if someone gets into all the ivy league schools that exist ( i'd like to meet them and congratulate them, lol), it is because they worked hard for it ( or at least to some degree). they don't need to go hide under a cliff because YOU and YOUR FRIENDS are insecure.. if you think they're bragging, go and start your own forum for 'humble' people.. it is a thing to be proud about if you got into med school...

definition of avatar: a movable three-dimensional image used to represent somebody in cyberspace

what is so wrong with having a personal photo then? Not my taste, but its not like he's the first to ever do it...

ok, i should go, otherwise like you, I'll soon be needing a drink.. or a seat...

I think that many people have a hard time seeing these threads pop up, not because they are totally self-serving and act as a vehicle for many people to gloat, but because they're just silly. No one here knows anything about the OP personally, so how can anybody give any sort of useful advice on what school he should attend? Why would anyone WANT advice from complete strangers regarding what school to pick? The fact is, the choice is going to be made based on some seriously personal and subjective reasons (all the way down to "vibes" - yes, "vibes" - that the person gets from each school). There is no objective way to compare them, especially in light of what the OP personally wants in a school, which nobody but he knows anyway.

I would be stunned if anybody except for the OP just happened to have interviewed at or even know a significant amount about all of the schools listed. They know that Penn is slightly more highly ranked than the rest by USNews...so they vote for it. They know that UCSD has arguably the "best" location of the options...so they vote for it. A few people may have interviewed at one or two of these schools which, of course, put on a nice song-and-dance to seduce applicants...so they vote for that one. You see, the results of a poll like this do not have any meaning, and should certainly not have much, if any, impact on the OP's decision.

Wow, I this guy is super awesome! I am so completely jealous of him. I am going to be at UCSD this fall and I hope you choose any one of your awe-inspiring schools other than UCSD. I say this because a gloating individual can really kill an academic environment.

I think that many people have a hard time seeing these threads pop up, not because they are totally self-serving and act as a vehicle for many people to gloat, but because they're just silly. No one here knows anything about the OP personally, so how can anybody give any sort of useful advice on what school he should attend? Why would anyone WANT advice from complete strangers regarding what school to pick? The fact is, the choice is going to be made based on some seriously personal and subjective reasons (all the way down to "vibes" - yes, "vibes" - that the person gets from each school). There is no objective way to compare them, especially in light of what the OP personally wants in a school, which nobody but he knows anyway.

I would be stunned if anybody except for the OP just happened to have interviewed at or even know a significant amount about all of the schools listed. They know that Penn is slightly more highly ranked than the rest by USNews...so they vote for it. They know that UCSD has arguably the "best" location of the options...so they vote for it. A few people may have interviewed at one or two of these schools which, of course, put on a nice song-and-dance to seduce applicants...so they vote for that one. You see, the results of a poll like this do not have any meaning, and should certainly not have much, if any, impact on the OP's decision.

Thanks, it makes sense when you put it this way... I was just thinking people on SDN need to be nice or go home.. no need to show us how unhelpful they are...

and LOL at me being his girlfriend... that would be one doctor too many in my private life :laugh:

^ The OP's girlfriend?

Okay...I can't lie, I LOL'ed pretty hard! :D

Have a seat please \\___

I dont get why people get mad at these sort of threads, obviously you aren't on a slave ship or in a concentration camp where you are forced to reply to threads you find annoying...
Hyperbole much? (Though I do find it humorous that you come into this thread "defending" the OP moments after you post a similar thread)

I'm not sure if your post was directed at Mizoodles or if I was included in your little rant. Honestly, either way, I think you really missed the whole point of previous posts.

Good point. I realize that no one is going to post something that makes me suddenly realize where I'm meant to be (or anything like that).

The OP recognizes the ridiculousness of the thread. My entire post was simply trying to give the OP ways to constructively narrow down his choices.

he has a dilemma, he asks a question.. granted he didn't elaborate in the beginning (he later did upon request from a person who actually cared to help)

Which, apparently, you agree with! I was simply trying to point out to the OP that listing all the schools one was accepted to does little to help people give meaningful feedback. On top of that, listing 5 schools without eliminating ANY just complicates things.

Now, I may have had a negative slant (especially when I stated his thread was "toolish") but I would hardly call that "hating" on the OP. I did not go on some diatribe about how the OP came across as entitled and conceited. Why? Because a majority of SDN users act the same way and I would have to spend a majority of my day "hating" on others. I understand that most SDNers are kids with a misplaced sense of pride. Even those with an internalized sense of pride enjoy a good round of "¿Quién es más macho?" every now and again, especially under the anonymity of the interweb.

So, if my post came across as "haterful" or inappropriate I would like to extend an apology to Mr. Robin Hall Dunn.

tl;dr - "A vs. B School" threads are pointless...everyone, including the person making them, knows they have absolutely no bearing on which school they will attend. If you MUST make one, eliminate as many schools as possible and try to ask poignant questions or at least give people some additional info on which to base an opinion...but people are still going to call a spade a spade.

Okay...I can't lie, I LOL'ed pretty hard! :D

If you MUST make one, eliminate as many schools as possible and try to ask poignant questions or at least give people some additional info on which to base an opinion...but people are still going to call a spade a spade.

Wow. You're a douche. Please, back off and don't make anymore posts to this thread.

Last edited:
To anyone replying, would you mind submitting a reply with your reasons for picking whichever school you chose?

Thanks for your perspectives.

I picked Emory because it has the prettiest name.

Wow. You're a douche. Back off and don't make anymore posts to this thread.

As stated earlier, how can anyone on this forum help you decide? We do not know what is in your head, your financial considerations, area of specialty, are you single, married, gay, bi? If we could climb in your head, then we can answer this thread.

As far as bragging about the schools you got into, I am not sure if the OP is bragging or not, perhaps just stating facts that he got into these top schools. However, if you are bragging and gloating, not a good idea, think about the others on SDN who are waitlisted or worse, have no interviews or acceptances yet.

However, best of luck. Tell us where you end up, probably for many reasons, some on the people on this thread may not want to go to the school you choose.

Okay, I gotta say... I'm usually not the type to pick an internet fight, so I usually wouldn't post an angry post like this. But frankly, I'm pretty sure I've seen OP make multiple posts asking this exact same question. Now, I can understand trying to decide between two schools you love dearly. Or maybe three. Or maybe just throwing open the floodgates and getting opinions from the community on all your acceptances ... once.

But seriously, dude? MULTIPLE threads asking "which one of these FIVE awesome schools should I go to?" Not necessary. Go revisit. Go poke around the internet. Go troll last year's forums, find students from each, and email them DIRECTLY to see how they like it. In other words: stop gloating, start doing your own legwork, and move right along.

In the spirit of not getting into a potential flamewar -- I'm not going to reply to any replies.

Okay, I gotta say... I'm usually not the type to pick an internet fight, so I usually wouldn't post an angry post like this. But frankly, I'm pretty sure I've seen OP make multiple posts asking this exact same question. Now, I can understand trying to decide between two schools you love dearly. Or maybe three. Or maybe just throwing open the floodgates and getting opinions from the community on all your acceptances ... once.

But seriously, dude? MULTIPLE threads asking "which one of these FIVE awesome schools should I go to?" Not necessary. Go revisit. Go poke around the internet. Go troll last year's forums, find students from each, and email them DIRECTLY to see how they like it. In other words: stop gloating, start doing your own legwork, and move right along.

In the spirit of not getting into a potential flamewar -- I'm not going to reply to any replies.

After seeing that, I have to agree with you.. its a little excessive

wait, where's the reapply option?

seriously, lame thread.

then you provided some context... very little, but better than nothing.

even after that, it's still a poor thread. 99.99% chance you'll choose penn, regardless of what people told you here.

it's a fantastic school, congrats!

wow guys this is an internet forum. who cares! i don't understand why anyone ever gets worked up over any particular topic.

i understand a "seriously" or some small comment but paragraphs of rant against the topic is a little bit excessive. please tell me this is not your life. and if it is, go do something else!

Status
Not open for further replies.