1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Where would you rank Texas schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by freakazoid, Jul 21, 2002.

1. freakazoid

freakazoid Guy Friend Extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

I know Baylor and UT Southwestern are top-tier,
    but where would the rest of the schools lie, middle or low?

UT Houston
    UT San Antonio
    UT Galveston
    Texas Tech
    Texas A&M

I do want to make sure I apply to a wide spread of schools, but I was wondering if I was covering my low/middle bases so I could apply for some higher-tier out of state schools . . . or if I should apply to the middle/lower-tier out of state schools as well. My reasoning is that I really would prefer to stay in Texas, and only schools better than those who accept me in Texas will take me out of state . . . Advice, anyone?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rjhtamu

rjhtamu Stargazer Royale
    7+ Year Member

This is just how I would rank the schools right now according to my personal preferences, I think ranking them any other way is just subjective. This may change after interviews though....

Baylor
    UT Houston
    Southwestern
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech
    UTMB
    UT San Antonio

I'm putting Baylor and Houston first because of the Texas Medical Center, Southwestern next because of the Dallas Med Center, A&M cause it's close and I'm familiar with it, then Tech, and UTMB and San Antonio last because at this point I can't see myself going to school there.

4. The Mysterious Stranger

The Mysterious Stranger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

When ever I hear of students talk about the ratings (this isn't very objective) the Breakdown seems to go:

1. Baylor
    2. SW
    3. UT Galveston
    4. UT Houston
    5. UT SA
    6. A & M
    7. Tech

Like the others said it also depends on what you want to do--A&M is probably the best school to attend if you are interested in rural health...

5. freakazoid

freakazoid Guy Friend Extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

Am I covering my bases? Given my situation, do you guys think I should I apply to some middle-tier schools out-of-state? If so, which ones?? Thanks . . . :)

6. rjhtamu

rjhtamu Stargazer Royale
    7+ Year Member

Hmm, practicing rural health in a city.... Isn't that like trying to play football on a baseball field??