Where would you rank Texas schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freakazoid

Guy Friend Extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Baylor and UT Southwestern are top-tier,
but where would the rest of the schools lie, middle or low?

UT Houston
UT San Antonio
UT Galveston
Texas Tech
Texas A&M

I do want to make sure I apply to a wide spread of schools, but I was wondering if I was covering my low/middle bases so I could apply for some higher-tier out of state schools . . . or if I should apply to the middle/lower-tier out of state schools as well. My reasoning is that I really would prefer to stay in Texas, and only schools better than those who accept me in Texas will take me out of state . . . Advice, anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

This is just how I would rank the schools right now according to my personal preferences, I think ranking them any other way is just subjective. This may change after interviews though....

Baylor
UT Houston
Southwestern
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
UTMB
UT San Antonio

I'm putting Baylor and Houston first because of the Texas Medical Center, Southwestern next because of the Dallas Med Center, A&M cause it's close and I'm familiar with it, then Tech, and UTMB and San Antonio last because at this point I can't see myself going to school there.

When ever I hear of students talk about the ratings (this isn't very objective) the Breakdown seems to go:

1. Baylor
2. SW
3. UT Galveston
4. UT Houston
5. UT SA
6. A & M
7. Tech

Like the others said it also depends on what you want to do--A&M is probably the best school to attend if you are interested in rural health...

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I covering my bases? Given my situation, do you guys think I should I apply to some middle-tier schools out-of-state? If so, which ones?? Thanks . . . :)

Hmm, practicing rural health in a city.... Isn't that like trying to play football on a baseball field??