Whether or not to stick it out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent00111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an OMS I. I love my school and the town but I truly have reservations about my career choice. I feel I was forced into the profession by those around me, and I don't know how I'll handle the stress of the first and second years right now. On top of that I have a lot of personal stress that isn't about to go away any time soon, and I think it is really hindering my ability to start off well. I'm only a week in and I feel it already. I know I can do it, I just don't know if now is the right time. You guys can't make this decision for me but does anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Get out right now.

I've seen too many students who committed "suicide by exam failure" and were dismissed, rather than having the balls to tell their family that they didn't want to be a doctor.

I've seen too many posts like these and my blood is up now. So F your parents. You tell them it's your career, not theirs.

Reactions: 5 users
You only need to answers a single question: Do YOU want to be a doctor or was that only the desire of your family? Yes or no go speak to your school's ( or a private) counselors and therapists to help you learn how to deal with your stress and be successful.

All I can say is that I didn't really want with all my heart to be a doctor, I wouldn't have been able to find the motivation to get through MS1.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't read your mind, but if you're having existential dread after a single week, that might be a sign to get out before you're hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. People will tell you MS1 is the hardest year, but that's not really true. Every year is equally hard, just in a different way.

I'm an OMS I. I love my school and the town but I truly have reservations about my career choice. I feel I was forced into the profession by those around me, and I don't know how I'll handle the stress of the first and second years right now. On top of that I have a lot of personal stress that isn't about to go away any time soon, and I think it is really hindering my ability to start off well. I'm only a week in and I feel it already. I know I can do it, I just don't know if now is the right time. You guys can't make this decision for me but does anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.

So -- you only get so many evolutions around the sun on this spinning blue ball --- you have to do what YOU want with your life -- no regrets --- I can tell you from experience, entering/not entering a career because of "family restrictions" is NOT living --

People have this fantasy of what it's like to be a doctor and it's not all burritos and strippers, my friend -- it's a LOT of hard work and dealing with people at their worst with huge amounts of debt and a lifestyle that consumes you, easily. DO NOT do this because of pressure from anyone else, period. I've have seen way, way too many parents when my children were little who tried to get a second chance on life through their children -- and I'm talking about grown men getting worked up on the sideline during a 7-9 y/o soccer game. You would think it was a World Cup game -- really? One thing I have always told my children -- don't do this because I'm doing it, do it because it's what YOU want -- and I also tell them this --- pick a career that plays to your strengths, one you enjoy and one where you are not ever at the mercy of some corporate bean counter who decides that you're on the next layoff list (phrase I use is "don't ever be in a position where some corporate bean counter determines whether or not your family can eat."). Barring that, go for it -- don't get stupid and get a degree in 18th Century early American art history where you'll most likely learn the phrase, "Would you like fries with that?". If you have a chance to seize more control over your own future, grab it with both hands ---

It would be better to withdraw now, keep a failure off your record. That way, if you change your mind later on, you have a chance to get back in -- otherwise, if you flunk out, you've pretty much shut that door and maybe others (like law school) ---

Up to you but do this one for yourself -- be the adult.

Reactions: 1 users

I think you are forcing yourself to like this pathway due to stress from the family. Put your mind in the scenario of "if I had complete control of my life (ex. had the money, not reliant on parents) what would I want to do?" If it is something besides medicine, get out now!

Too much years and money is imbedded in this pathway for you to "tough it out." Get out, the sooner the better. I'd say the same if this were a Ph.D.

Get out right now.

I've seen too many students who committed "suicide by exam failure" and were dismissed, rather than having the balls to tell their family that they didn't want to be a doctor.

I've seen too many posts like these and my blood is up now. So F your parents. You tell them it's your career, not theirs.
Yes, I would rather not fail out and have to be kicked out. If I'm going to leave, I'll do it on my own terms. Thank you for your advice.

You only need to answers a single question: Do YOU want to be a doctor or was that only the desire of your family? Yes or no go speak to your school's ( or a private) counselors and therapists to help you learn how to deal with your stress and be successful.

All I can say is that I didn't really want with all my heart to be a doctor, I wouldn't have been able to find the motivation to get through MS1.
Exactly, you need the motivation and I feel that I should have it if this is what I truly want to do. But I can't muster up the enthusiasm that the majority of my class seems to have. I've heard it gets better in clinicals and that's why I was willing to give it a chance, but if I can't get through this, I feel like that means I don't actually WANT to. I have a meeting with the counselor this week. Just wanted to get some input from those who are/have been in my shoes. :) Thank you.

I can't read your mind, but if you're having existential dread after a single week, that might be a sign to get out before you're hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. People will tell you MS1 is the hardest year, but that's not really true. Every year is equally hard, just in a different way.
Existential dread is honestly the right phrase for it. Something just doesn't feel right. What I've been confused on is, am I just scared, or is this something I really don't want? Thank you for your advice!

So -- you only get so many evolutions around the sun on this spinning blue ball --- you have to do what YOU want with your life -- no regrets --- I can tell you from experience, entering/not entering a career because of "family restrictions" is NOT living --

People have this fantasy of what it's like to be a doctor and it's not all burritos and strippers, my friend -- it's a LOT of hard work and dealing with people at their worst with huge amounts of debt and a lifestyle that consumes you, easily. DO NOT do this because of pressure from anyone else, period. I've have seen way, way too many parents when my children were little who tried to get a second chance on life through their children -- and I'm talking about grown men getting worked up on the sideline during a 7-9 y/o soccer game. You would think it was a World Cup game -- really? One thing I have always told my children -- don't do this because I'm doing it, do it because it's what YOU want -- and I also tell them this --- pick a career that plays to your strengths, one you enjoy and one where you are not ever at the mercy of some corporate bean counter who decides that you're on the next layoff list (phrase I use is "don't ever be in a position where some corporate bean counter determines whether or not your family can eat."). Barring that, go for it -- don't get stupid and get a degree in 18th Century early American art history where you'll most likely learn the phrase, "Would you like fries with that?". If you have a chance to seize more control over your own future, grab it with both hands ---

It would be better to withdraw now, keep a failure off your record. That way, if you change your mind later on, you have a chance to get back in -- otherwise, if you flunk out, you've pretty much shut that door and maybe others (like law school) ---

Up to you but do this one for yourself -- be the adult.
I love the way you stated some of your ideas haha. True, I'm not going to be stupid, I've just been interested in a different professional degree. Thank you. And thanks for the practical advice too--I do want to have a chance to get back in, if I leave now.

I think you are forcing yourself to like this pathway due to stress from the family. Put your mind in the scenario of "if I had complete control of my life (ex. had the money, not reliant on parents) what would I want to do?" If it is something besides medicine, get out now!

Too much years and money is imbedded in this pathway for you to "tough it out." Get out, the sooner the better. I'd say the same if this were a Ph.D.
And I really might be doing that. Fact is, I've never gotten to figure it out for myself. And honestly, if I think about it, I may be pursuing a different degree now barring outside factors, and I feel like that's enough to tell me that my heart's not in this.

And I really might be doing that. Fact is, I've never gotten to figure it out for myself. And honestly, if I think about it, I may be pursuing a different degree now barring outside factors, and I feel like that's enough to tell me that my heart's not in this.
You're the one who has to live your life, work your job, every day. Not your family. They'll get over it soon enough....and a lot quicker than if you used their money for a year or 2 of med school first ;)

Right on -- but being married to a blonde nymphomaniac who's father owns a chain of liquor stores is not a career choice, right?...right?!

Reactions: 3 users
I love the way you stated some of your ideas haha. True, I'm not going to be stupid, I've just been interested in a different professional degree. Thank you. And thanks for the practical advice too--I do want to have a chance to get back in, if I leave now.

If you think a different degree would be a better choice, and you actually know the degree and what the career associated with it entails, I would agree with everyone else here and get out now. It's early enough that it won't look terrible if you leave, and you haven't lost a ton of money yet.

Med school and medicine in general is a looooong road. Like 8 yrs long. That's more than 10% of most people's lives, and that's just the getting training part. If you don't want it, its really hard to get through it. Talk to your family, but do what you have to for yourself. Hopefully they'll eventually understand.

If you think a different degree would be a better choice, and you actually know the degree and what the career associated with it entails, I would agree with everyone else here and get out now. It's early enough that it won't look terrible if you leave, and you haven't lost a ton of money yet.

Med school and medicine in general is a looooong road. Like 8 yrs long. That's more than 10% of most people's lives, and that's just the getting training part. If you don't want it, its really hard to get through it. Talk to your family, but do what you have to for yourself. Hopefully they'll eventually understand.
Thanks. It's so difficult to get to this point, having worked SO hard for something, and realize you're only doing it because it's all you've ever known. *sigh* I appreciate the advice.

Well its your decision.

Fwiw I felt the first 6 weeks of MS1 were the hardest, bar none.
Difference with your case is that you don't want to be there and wouldn't have chosen this for yourself.
Absolutely no shame in deciding to stand up and walk away. Tuition racks up fast, you're in the best position right now for a clean break.
Having had a previous career and life experiences before pushing myself down this road, I know what it feels like to want what I now have. In huge life decisions the gut is rarely wrong

Fwiw I felt the first 6 weeks of MS1 were the hardest, bar none.
Difference with your case is that you don't want to be there and wouldn't have chosen this for yourself.
Absolutely no shame in deciding to stand up and walk away. Tuition racks up fast, you're in the best position right now for a clean break.
Having had a previous career and life experiences before pushing myself down this road, I know what it feels like to want what I now have. In huge life decisions the gut is rarely wrong
Thank you for this. You are right, if I end up pursuing this later, I really want to want it. I really appreciate the kind words.