Which AAMC practice tests are the best predictor of my real mcat score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellab17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My MCAT is next week and I am trying to predict how I may do on the real thing based on the aamc practice tests. Which aamc tests did you find to be the closest to your real mcat score on test day? Or do you just use the average of all the aamc practice tests you have taken to predict how you will do?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, your average is probably the best predictor of your performance on the real thing, with the later AAMCs (7-11) being better predictors than the earlier ones (3-5).

10 and 11

Okay thanks, I don't have much time left so I was going to take aamc 7 and 8 just the BS and VR (since those are the sections that I need to improve) and then I was going to take aamc 9 and 11 full-length. I have already taken 4,5, and 10. If I break 7 and 8 up like that is it still a good indicator or do I have to take them full-length for them to count?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thanks, I don't have much time left so I was going to take aamc 7 and 8 just the BS and VR (since those are the sections that I need to improve) and then I was going to take aamc 9 and 11 full-length. I have already taken 4,5, and 10. If I break 7 and 8 up like that is it still a good indicator or do I have to take them full-length for them to count?

Thanks
It's not a matter of what "counts" its about the predictive nature of the test. If you bypass the PS section I would imagine your VR and BS score will be inflated because you aren't experiencing the same mental fatigue as all 3 sections taken under real testing conditions. If you really feel that good about PS then I guess go for it, but if you are this close to your test I would do every FL under as close of testing conditions as you can afford (i.e. same time of day, if you are driving a distance to a testing center then drive around for a similar time beforehand, taking the same breaks, etc).

One final thing: I don't know what you have been scoring on PS, but don't underestimate it. I felt like the real PS was very rough (much harder than the AAMC PS sections), and it seems like they intentionally make it that way so you lose your composure. I got super freaked out for the first half of my PS section, had the thoughts of me bombing and never getting into school and such, but about halfway through I took a 10 second break and regained my focus. Basically, be ready for that because it catches many people off guard.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, well my test is on Thursday. I have done full-lengths for aamc 3,4,5 and 10. Unless, I do the full-length aamc 7 today, 8 on Mon, 9 on Tues (would have to be after 7 pm bc I work until 6 pm, and 11 on Wed morning (which my test is on Thursday morning.)

Last edited:
Okay, well my test is on Thursday. I have done full-lengths for aamc 3,4,5 and 10. Unless, I do the full-length aamc 7 today, 8 on Mon, 9 on Tues (would have to be after 7 pm bc I work until 6 pm, and 11 on Wed morning (which my test is on Thursday morning.)
In that case bypass 7 and make sure that you have sufficient time to take the others (especially 11). Are you allowing for very thorough review of each test when you are done? Because taking the test is how you predict what you'd get on the real MCAT, and reviewing the test is where you learn and get better. What happened that you are cramming all of this in at the last second?

Make sure to leave a day of rest before the MCAT date.

At this point it's more about psychological prep than knowledge. Get a good nights sleep, bring your lunch and water so you're not hungry, and use all the available breaks to get up and walk outside the room and move around and maybe even do some lunges. It gets the blood flowing and keeps you alert.

From what I heard, the average of 9, 10, 11 is the best estimator.
And adding a little twist to the question ... (though I'm sure it has been asked many times before) ... which tests (FLs) other than AAMC are the best predictors of the actual score?

Your AAMC practice test average is the best estimator (given that you took all of them after content review), not any single practice exam score. My total AAMC practice exam average was the best indicator for me than an average of any 2-3 tests.

Last edited:
Take all the AAMC practice tests and look at the range of scores. Your actual MCAT score will most likely fall somewhere randomly in that range.