Which Airline? Vote...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

All other things being equal, who would you fly with?

• Alaska

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • American

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Delta

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • Jetblue

Votes: 42 50.0%

• Total voters
wow, there's individual mini-touch screens with movies and TV shows on Delta. Amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

Delta ****ed me over by delaying my flight yesterday for an hour, forcing me to rebook to a flight 7 hours later because the one hour delay caused me to miss all of my subsequent connections...

Delta sucks. I've never had problems with Alaska, very good airline. JetBlue was nice when I flew with them, but that was only once so it could be a biased experience.

Delta ****ed me over by delaying my flight yesterday for an hour, forcing me to rebook to a flight 7 hours later because the one hour delay caused me to miss all of my subsequent connections...

Delta sucks. I've never had problems with Alaska, very good airline. JetBlue was nice when I flew with them, but that was only once so it could be a biased experience.

You didn't happen to go to Columbus, did you :laugh:

I use Airtran, but I guess they don't have many flights to and from the west coast. They have in-flight wi-fi access, which technically isn't free, but it is if you sign up the "first time." I just sign up each time with a different email address(you don't have to "activate" it either, so I think you can just type in random email addresses, haven't tried it though).

Members don't see this ad :)
Midwest airlines has some of the best chocolate chip cookies ever. They apparently bake them in the air, and they're still warm when you get them. When you break the cookie in half, you can see melted strings of chocolate clinging between both halves.

No airline is perfect and really, I think there's less difference between them than people like to think. There are lists out there of which are slightly better than others for things like on-time arrivals, less cancellations, less loss of baggage, etc.

I voted for JetBlue in the poll. They have about 2-4 more inches of leg room than most other domestic airlines, leather seats and an individual TV at each seat (Virgin America and Frontier also have this). I mostly fly United, but that is because they have the most flights to where I need to go.

Also, you can check out seat maps on this website and see which seats are preferable: www.seatguru.com

Last edited:
As someone who flies about 250k miles a year, I offer this advice.

The differences between the airline companies are pretty minimal. The in flight amenities are all pretty equal. The leg room is the same. Customer service is no different. Sure, each airline loyalty program has its perks. However, don't forget that you are flying to get somewhere. These perks aren't very useful when your stuck at JFK ORD IAH DEN with a missed connecting flight. I would choose your airline based on a couple of factors.

1. Connections. Direct is always better even if it might be a bit more expensive. Try to fly non-stop direct. Think about it, if you fly directly, the airline has only once chance to screw up your flight, not two (or more). Additionally, they are less likely to lose your bag if it only has one hop to make. Also, if you must connect, look for better airports. NYC airports suck at rush hour, O'Hare gets bad tstorms/snow storms (but is actually pretty good in fall and spring to connect), Dulles is usually ok, Denver is ok, and I've never had a delay out of LAX.

2. Time. As convienient as possible to what you need. However, earlier flights have fewer problems overall. Also, if something happens with your first flight, they have more options with which to help you out.

3. Price. Don't pay more for additional perks above safe, reliable transportation. But, if JetBlue is $10 more and all else being equal and you want that direct TV, go for it.

I agree w/ this.

Doesn't delta have a rule where they cant let you off the plane until all checked baggage is moved to the terminal first? that sometimes gets really annoying if you have connections

This is out of those 4 options, but I have to say, I just flew to China via Korea, and damn these Asian airlines are pimp (Asiana). Every seat has a tv screen and even the coach class. Every single flight attendant is female and under 28. On top of that, they are all pretty. Too bad for equal rights, but good for the male passengers. The food was damn good too.

I heard Virgin airlines is amazing.

Virgin is the SHIZNIT, especially if you have a long flight. Their entertainment system is SICK, and you can't beat the dark purple lighting.

never fly delta, they changed my flights multiple times causing me to spend a night in phoenix arizona airport and to top it off put my bag on a plane that arriveed way later than me who was already late.

I ****ing hate American. They delayed my flight for 2 hours and I got home past midnight. They suck.

Virgin is pretty great and I usually get decent prices through Orbitz!
18.gif

Seriously. I just flew them going out to my first interview, and I gotta say, I'm impressed. From the leather seats and purple mood lighting, to the in-flight wi-fi & TV. Everything was done very, very well. Even managed to snag an in-flight meal (which you actually order from your entertainment system, also kinda cool).

Just a great, great airline. Definitely going out of my way to fly with them on my next trip.

...just as soon as I burn through the 50k AA miles I just realized I had access to. Really trying to figure out at what point $hitty effectively offsets 'free'.

Last edited:
Of the ones listed I like Delta... I fly them a lot (they have a Hub in Atlanta)... I haven't flown Jetblue though so I don't know on them.

Just for the record South African Airlines is the best if you ever need to go to Africa :)

Of the ones listed I like Delta... I fly them a lot (they have a Hub in Atlanta)... I haven't flown Jetblue though so I don't know on them.

Just for the record South African Airlines is the best if you ever need to go to Africa :)

HELL yeah! I took them to Jo'burg and it was by far the best experience I've ever had on an airline. They really treat ya right.

Last edited:
You didn't happen to go to Columbus, did you :laugh:

I use Airtran, but I guess they don't have many flights to and from the west coast. They have in-flight wi-fi access, which technically isn't free, but it is if you sign up the "first time." I just sign up each time with a different email address(you don't have to "activate" it either, so I think you can just type in random email addresses, haven't tried it though).

Nope, was flying into Seattle when the flight got canceled. 9:00 AM in the morning so it was the first flight of the day for the plane, and the skies were crystal clear blue. No idea what caused the delay!

That idea with AirTran is sheer genius, by the way. The next time I fly with them I will definitely steal me some free wifi!

never US air! Stuck in Laguardia for 4 hours until 1 am. For light rain!

Delta is my favorite airline from the poll, I've never had a problem with them. Cheap and no problems = happy customer.

My favorite airline for interviews is AirTran. I've flown to two interviews with them already, and I haven't had any problems. Plus, my round trip flights usually come out to $150 or so (usually with 1 layover each way).

HELL yeah! I took them to Jo'burg and it was by far the best experience I've ever had on an airline. They really treat ya right.

I also flew them to Jo'Burg and then connected to Maputo, Mozambique my only complaint was we had a refuel stop on Sal Island and we weren't able to stand up because some kind of inspectors were on the plane- so with the refuel I was on the plane 22 1/2 hours straight. But the crew was amazing- they kept snacks available and we could ask for them just about any time! Theyhad a good selections of movies too- though I ended up watching the same episode of Friends 8 times (round trip) because I couldn't stay focused to watch a whole movie!

Yea, gonna go with JetBlue or Virgin, although Virgin tends to be a little on the expensive side. I had to fly out to southern California on back-to-back weekends, once with American and once with JetBlue.

American: Window next to me was broken, so light was constantly coming in. There was only about 31" of leg room. No food was offered at all for a 6.5 hour flight except an outrageously overpriced sandwich. There was no plug under my seat for my laptop. There was no TV. The in-flight movie was Ice Age 2.

JetBlue: Window closed and it was nice and dark. It wouldn't have mattered, because they gave me a free eye mask. I had three solid feet of leg room. I pigged out on free snacks for the first hour of the flight. I couldn't plug in my laptop, but as other have said, there was DirecTV the whole way, and if I wanted to, I had a choice of six movies.

So yea, JetBlue is the bomb. I have to fly out to Charlotesville in a few weeks and they don't have a terminal there, which is super disappointing. I'll have to fly Delta or United. Eep.

Oh, and if you're checking bags during interviews, you're totally doing it wrong. Get a bifold or trifold garment bag and a laptop bag and carry all that on. With airlines charging out the ass for bags, it's the only way to go.