Which airport do you think is the worst?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which airport is the worst?

• LAX

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • LaGuardia

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • JFK

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • O'Hare

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • Newark

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • Other - please post

Votes: 17 14.3%

• Total voters
Dayton is pretty bad. Logan (boston) is great.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but ATL is by far the worst airport in the world!!!!

Totally disagree here. Given that ATL is the busiest airport in the world by passenger traffic, they do a pretty terrific job. Is it busy, and sometimes a pain? Sure. But O'hare is the next busiest US airport, and services 23 MILLIION less people per year and is already a huge clusterf#@k.

Walking through the ATL airport on any given day, (international arrival customs not withstanding,) you can barely tell its the busiest airport in the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally disagree here. Given that ATL is the busiest airport in the world by passenger traffic, they do a pretty terrific job. Is it busy, and sometimes a pain? Sure. But O'hare is the next busiest US airport, and services 23 MILLIION less people per year and is already a huge clusterf#@k.

Walking through the ATL airport on any given day, (international arrival customs not withstanding,) you can barely tell its the busiest airport in the world.

:thumbup: Great clarification.

O'Hare is absolutely terrible. I spent so much time wandering around aimlessly looking for a bar.

My vote is definitely for LAX. There's nothing worse than having to leave security to get to your connecting flight and have to go through security again. Especially with short layovers.

I mean, I get it, the place was built in a time before TSA and terrrrrrists, but still, you'd think that in the decade since 9/11, they would've found a way to remedy this by now.

Newark is the only airport named in the survey that I've experienced, but it's always an unpleasant experience, and it's definitely the worst out of those airports I've been to. It has a super crappy layout where you have to leave the secured area if you walk to another terminal (if you have a connecting flight), necessitating another pass through TSA. Either that, or you have to climb down to the tarmac to ride a bus to different terminals (it does not go as smoothly as one would assume) to stay in the secured area. Inconvenient, either way. Now for some props: The Manchester, NH airport is very nice. It is aesthetically pleasing, uncrowded, and provides free wi-fi. Also, no X-ray backscatter BS, just a metal detector. I don't even think I had to take off my shoes. The TSA security was so painless, and they were quite friendly.

Newark and Dulles mainly because they screwed up my connecting flights and lost my luggage with my dress shoes and tie, so I didn't have them for an interview.

LAX and Houston Hobby are both pretty bad. So is Chicago Midway, although Ohare isn't much better. Every other airport I went through during interview season was pretty good, but nothing crazy.

I would like to nominate DFW as the best though. IMO very well equipped in every terminal and easy access to all terminals via the Skylink.

I think most of us just love to gripe about the airport we use most frequently (because it's the one closest to us, and there usually aren't too many options. =P

Nonetheless, my answer:

Other. All US airports suck compared to airports in many other countries, especially Asian ones!

All of my hate is reserved for Philly. Ft. Lauderdale was infested with roaches when I was there, but they were only on the first floor near the exits. I'm going there next week, so let's see if the situation has improved.

Agreed. I've flown through there the most out of any place and have never had a bad experience. And those trains >>>>>>>>>>

Any airport that I have to spend the night on the floor in front of my terminal. This has happened to me twice this cycle actually.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

Really? I've never had a problem with it. It's brand new, tons of restaurants and bars, no people, and always has a really fast-moving security line. I don't think it's ever taken me more than 10 minutes to get through security, and I was there probably close to 20 times last year (I had to travel a decent amount for my job).

I guess they've changed things up since I've last been there. Sacs security used to be the stuff of nightmares. So many missed or near missed flights

Members don't see this ad :)
I just hate the ones don't have free wifi. :nono:

Depends on the aspect of the airport for me. Philadelphia is actually a really nice airport, especially if you have a long time to spend there...Also they mandate that the vendors sell things in the airport for the same prices as outside the airport...that's pretty awesome. BUT they are a hub for United/US Airways and I HATE United. Worst. Service. Ever. EVER.

LAX is screwed over food-wise because the big money people in the city who are involved in developing it are also in cahoots with crappy food like McDonalds...so unlike Philadelphia, no sit-down sushi or Legal Seafoods. :(

O'Hare gets a bad rap between the snow and the rain in the summer. But the American terminal has a cool light fixture thing.

Detroit is actually a pretty nice airport in terms of food and stuff available!

I have also had a rough time flying out of Dulles International in DC. ugh

Worse, for sure, than NYC, BOS, ATL, SFO, or what I remember of O'Hare. Used to live there, flew it ALL the time...terrible airport.

My girlfriend clams the Philadelphia airport is the worst

Really?????????

slap.gif

Last edited:
Does this have anything to do with premed or medical schools?

In b4 the lock.

O'hare is ridiculously busy--and only has ONE (count em, ONE) "restaurant" (place that isn't a deli counter) in terminal E...which is a journey from anyone's connecting flights.

Interview trail, I guess. :shrug:

That was my immediate assumption.

So far my least favorite have been DFW, Oakland, and Changi. JFK wasn't so pleasant when I went there either.

My favorites: PDX, SeaTac, Heathrow, Lisbon.

O'Hare gets a bad rap between the snow and the rain in the summer. But the American terminal has a cool light fixture thing.

Detroit is actually a pretty nice airport in terms of food and stuff available!

I do like the cool light fixture. Perfect for when you have a red-eye and are totaly zoned out :)

I would have never guessed that Miami was so bad. I guess we should have added that one. I think it is funny that LAX & O'Hare are tied.

I think my favorite airport is LAS in Vegas. Small & predictable. :love:

I do like the cool light fixture. Perfect for when you have a red-eye and are totaly zoned out :)

I would have never guessed that Miami was so bad. I guess we should have added that one. I think it is funny that LAX & O'Hare are tied.

If you like Vegas, you'd LOVE Reno: even smaller and more efficient.

Gotta love the slot machines you can hit up on the way out

Noted.

So many lights & colors! Plus, some ppl flying there may have it as their final destination and tend to be in a happy mood.
It's better to be flying out when someone is coming back home with a bunch of winnings. I got pretty buzzed with a guy that kept buying me drinks after winning $10k at the tables. Awesome, awesome times.

It's better to be flying out when someone is coming back home with a bunch of winnings. I got pretty buzzed with a guy that kept buying me drinks after winning $10k at the tables. Awesome, awesome times.

Haha, nice! That's the way to do it

LAX! I hate you forever!

Sincerely,
cg2812

O-Hare. Food court is only in one terminal. Also, it's always super busy and people somehow forget how to walk without running into other individuals.

As for the best? MSP, but I'm biased.

+1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile