which alcohol is the most soluble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pistolpete007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which is most soluble
1-butanal
2-pentanol
3methyl-2-2butanol
3-methyl-2butanol
1-heptanol

also which is more soluble

CH3Br
CH3OH
tertiary bromine
tertiary alcohol

Members don't see this ad.

which is most soluble
1-butanal
2-pentanol
3methyl-2-2butanol
3-methyl-2butanol
1-heptanol

also which is more soluble

CH3Br
CH3OH
tertiary bromine
tertiary alcohol

Most soluble in water or in what? It depends on the solvent , if the solvent is polar , alcohol with short chain is the most soluble . If it is non-polor solvent , non-polar substances will the most soluble .

If we are talking about solubility in water, it would be 2-pentanol and for #2 CH3OH. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer would be A, since it contains hydrogen bonding and is shorter. The longer the chain, the less soluble it is as the chain part is non-soluble in water.

The answer would be A, since it contains hydrogen bonding and is shorter. The longer the chain, the less soluble it is as the chain part is non-soluble in water.

It cann not be A,because A does not have any Hydrogen bonding.
2-pentanol
CH3OH

opps.. my bad I thought it was butanol...hehehe

The answer is pentanol. Sorry if I confused anyone :laugh:.

pentanol. Short chain with an alcohol for H bonding. Hydrocarbon chains are hydrophobic (membranes..) so the longer it is the less soluble your molecule will be.

If it was, wouldn't that be the most soluble? two alcohols = more H bonding = greater solubility

that's def correct about the H bonding, the more OH's the more soluble. but what about the second one? It's CH3OH, correct? because it has fewer C's? but does branching have anything to do with solubility if there are similar number of Carbon atoms? I feel like i have read that somewhere i have to look for that.

Would the compound be 3-methyl-2,2-butanediol?

I agree, when I read this question I picked the 3-methyl-2,2-butanol, which I assumed if it is not a typo = it's a diol = so you can form more H-bonds than any of the primary and secondary alcohols.

I agree, when I read this question I picked the 3-methyl-2,2-butanol, which I assumed if it is not a typo = it's a diol = so you can form more H-bonds than any of the primary and secondary alcohols.

Wouldn't there be intra-molecular bonding then between those two OH groups since they are on the same carbon? If that is the case, it would decrease the solubility? NO?

Wouldn't there be intra-molecular bonding then between those two OH groups since they are on the same carbon? If that is the case, it would decrease the solubility? NO?

I do not think that there would be very much intra-molecular bonding assuming you are talking about H-bonding. The O groups are 109.5 degrees away from each other, and in order for one H to interact intramolecularly with another O it would be approximately 4 or better yet 5 bond lengths away.

I do not think that there would be very much intra-molecular bonding assuming you are talking about H-bonding. The O groups are 109.5 degrees away from each other, and in order for one H to interact intramolecularly with another O it would be approximately 4 or better yet 5 bond lengths away.

I think there is some intramolecular hydrogen bonding going on, but I could be wrong. The two OH groups are on the SAME carbon, so there has to be some intramolecular hydrogen bonding going there.

so whats the right answer ultimately??? pentanol or 3-methyl -2,2-butanol?

so whats the right answer ultimately??? pentanol or 3-methyl -2,2-butanol?

I think 3-methy-2,2-butandiol would be more polar, therefore more soluble becaus this molecule has 2 OH groups. Molecules have different degree of polarity as determined by the functional group present. For example, carboxylic acid is more polar (more soluble) than alcohol due to 2 oxygen atoms present in the acid. :)