Which anatomy books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eleusia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Anatomy professor has recommended a number of atlases for our class. Could people please list their preferences and why? Should I get Netter, Grant, or one of the others that have actual photos instead of paintings?

Members don't see this ad.

Netter is the best one you can get. If you can afford it, I would recommend buying rohen in addition to netter (this is the atlas with photos), you will have to spend less time in the lab with this atlas.

I'll second the vote for Netter and Rohen! I'm an MS1 and am in the middle of anatomy right now. We have a copy of Grants at our dissection table and I prefer Netter (which I use at home). The Rohen atlas is GREAT to quiz yourself or study actual dissection photos at home. At my school the professors really like Grant, but the students tend to prefer Netter.
If money is tight, just get Netter. If you can afford it, get the Rohen one as a second reference, although it won't be as useful as your primary atlas.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not positive, but I think this applies... if you join AMSA (American Medical Student Association) before October 31st you get a free Netter atlas w/ membership (it's $65 to join I think...) You're going to pay this anyway for Netter... you might as well join AMSA... Anyway, this is the deal at my school, but I think it's a national promotion.

My vote goes to Netter and Rohen if you can afford it.

Try borrowing atlases from some upperclassmen -- I did this and it saved me a LOT of money. I got my Netter's through AMSA membership, but I borrowed Rohen and Moore (clinical correlates).

Thanks everyone. I know about the AMSA deal, so since I guess I want Netter, i'll be joining at orientation tomorrow. I think I'll pick up Rohen too. I'm a commuter and could use it to help me at home.

Theres a lot of resources on internet.( www.Vesalius.com is my favourite for Anat, also www.medmatrix.com is good 4 links)

Rohen-Yokochi is the best of the atlasses. I would agree with Lilycat, and recommend reading your friend's instead of dishing out the 80+ dollars for it. Plus, people will think you are a sick puppy if they see Rohen lying around your apartment.

and buy a used Netter's, from a second year.
This way, you dont spend your life savings on anatomy books.
panA3002.gif

an example of the type of cool educational stuff on internet.
kidA3006.gif

Although I have worked with Netter before, I really like Clemente's Atlas myself. But I would reccomend selecting the Gross Subject you think you might have the most problems with ( For me this is muscle innervation) and open all of the books simultaneously to that same section and see which makes things clearer for you.....This is what I did and I ended up choosing Clemente... Good Luck though.

I'll also vote for Netter and Rohen. About 30% of my class bought clemente but most were not happy with the choice.

Baby Moore and Netter for reference.
BRS (Chung) for written exams.
Rohen & Yokochi for the practical exams.
Grant's Dissector for labs.

netter is good for relationships, and rohen's is great for studying what the stuff really looks like. On top of that, i would recommend Chung's anatomy review.

take it easy

homonculus

Is "baby-Moore" the "Essential Clinical Anatomy" book? -Mike

I vote for Netter for lab and Chung for written tests. I think Grant's atlas and dissector suck all around. If you disagree, I've got one of each I'd love to sell you. . . . . .

Ok, I have *no* clue what you guys are talking about when you talk about "Baby Moore" - unlike Robbins, there are a LOT of anatomy books out there, and Moore has been rather prolific. I have Clinically Oriented Anatomy, which is rather thick. Is "baby moore" a smaller version of this or some other book???

Thanks,
Star

A Netter for a "painting" atlas. A hardcover is better if you can find one, as a softcover will be in tatters by the time you are done. Consider going together with friends to get a beat up copy also just for the lab, so your own good copy doesn't get chemicals all over it, for when you want to keep it on your shelf and review it later on. Keep this.

McMinn's Colour Atlas of Human Anatomy 4th edition for a "real" atlas of dissections. Full colour photos of _perfect_ dissections of the human, especially good for practising for an oral or if you have a poor specimen and want to see how it should have looked. (People who only learn how to identify on Netters often get burned since arteries/veins/nerves aren't a pretty red/blue/yellow in a dissection, everything is an off-brown so have to practice looking at a good specimen and telling them apart other than by color). Sell this one when you are done, and keep the Netter's.

Moore's for the general anatomy text. The excerpts from Grant's are underlabeled and lack the clarity of Netter. The clinical blue boxes however strengthen Moore considerably. Keep this.

Lumley's Essential Anatomy for quick run-through of the upper-limb and lower limb muscles, attachments, etc, instead of using these in Moore (these are way too long-winded in Moore, for how often they are needed). Sell this when you are done.

Crossman's 'Neuroanatomy: an illustrated color text', since Moore's neuro is very spartan. Crossman is how all textbooks should be: short, good explanation, clear crisp diagrams, clinical correlation boxes. Either keep or sell this, depending on how comfortable with the material when you are done.

A Gray's Anatomy (38th British edition) if you plan on doing surgery later (just keep it on your shelf for reference).

Hope that can help you out, good luck and enjoy anatomy. --Best wishes, roo

I think that Clemente is the best. The diagrams are just as good as Netter's, but it also includes origin, insertion...etc. I also found it for about $10 cheaper than Netter's. Get the photo atlases if you find that you have trouble finding or identifying structures from drawings. There are always plenty of people with Netter's to look off of if you want.