Which anatomy textbook is the best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awesomesaucenes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took anatomy during the year and unfortunately my teacher was awful and I didnt learn anything, despite the fact that I got over a 100% in the class. I do find the subject interesting and would like to learn it myself over the summer. Which textbook do you think is the best for learning the basics (mostly the skeletal and muscular system)

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't used many anatomy books but Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy is money. I'm sure most people here would recommend it as well.

I took anatomy during the year and unfortunately my teacher was awful and I didnt learn anything, despite the fact that I got over a 100% in the class. I do find the subject interesting and would like to learn it myself over the summer. Which textbook do you think is the best for learning the basics (mostly the skeletal and muscular system)

My gunner-senses are tingling....

Members don't see this ad :)
That one that censors out the private parts.

I actually don't feel anything for Netter's Atlas at all. I'd much rather go with a Thieme(Gilroy)/Rohen's combo.:thumbup:

As for textbooks, I hate the writing style of Gray's and much prefer Moore's. This is something you should definitely look at before committing too, though.

Find an attractive member of the opposite sex (or same sex if that's your preference) instead of using a textbook or atlas to study for anatomy. Much more fun and you will remember it for the long run.

Just wondering, how do you know 0 about anatomy after getting over 100% in the class? High school class?

Just wondering, how do you know 0 about anatomy after getting over 100% in the class? High school class?

My thoughts exactly. To the OP, relax and enjoy summer. Just make sure you make room in your schedule for an A&P course.

Yup. However, we did get through 4 seasons of bones. And I think 1 or 2 seasons of house. We quite literally watched bones every day in the year, didnt have homework, and took only a couple tests. I was disappointed, but meh, nothing I could really do. Especially cause the teacher had the ability to teach but was just really lazy :(.

Socialite, you dont know me at all. I kind of flip when i dont have anything to do, and just reading up on anatomy for 30 minutes to an hour every night isnt really painful at all. I dont have any plans other than chilling with friends all day anyways, so i shoudl be good.

I know that nothing anyone says will stop you, but don't bother until you start med school...seriously. You would be studying without any real defined points to make it worthwhile. Anatomy is seriously one of the easiest courses in medical school. The time consuming part is in the lab...not with the books.

Members don't see this ad :)
MossPoh, i know ill have to do it again in college but its so interesting and I need to do something to keep my mind ticking. Plus i shadow a doctor and it would be nice to know more so that i can ask her questions and stuff about patients if i need to.

Unfortunately, i dont really want to get grays because its so expensive. I know all college textbooks are, but considering that ill probably have to get another one in college, it might not be worth the investment.

I asked this before, but what do you think of using a coloring book? I mainly just want to get acquainted with the bones and muscles and learn their functions; would this be a good tool to use?

You need to distinguish between an anatomy textbook vs. an anatomy atlas.
For a textbook, we used Moore's but I didn't read too much since all the important text stuff was in our syllabus notes.

For an atlas, I used netter, rohen, looked at thieme a couple times.

I jsut want to learn the material; i dont care whether i learn it though an atlas or a textbook.

I'm not really sure why you'd want to study anatomy over the summer, but if you are dead-set on it, I suggest you not buy a text book but rather go to your public library. They will have at least a copy of Gray's tucked away somewhere but probably others that are more conducive to beginners.

I'd suggest you not study altogether and enjoy your summer (Fiction books are fabulous to fill time with), but that's just me.

Honestly college anatomy is a joke you'll be disappointed in that class as well... I think my high school anatomy was more in depth. Medical school anatomy is a whole other ball game, it kinda sucks until things start to click because there rlly is no reasoning behind it its straight up memorization.

I did check my library, unfortunately their resources are quite limited when it comes to anatomy books. Considering how many history books they have, you would think they would have some proper anatomy books.

if you're that intent on being a weirdo about the musculoskeletal system, the one book I absolutely adored for my grad school (MS-based) anatomy and kinesiology classes (aka, memorize the insertions, origins, actions, nerve supply, and blood supply of almost all skeletal muscles) was Sieg & Adams "Illustrated Essentials of Musculoskeletal Anatomy". It's basically flashcards in book form. Awesome for memorization.

Once you get past the basic "this is what muscles and bones are made of", it's just memorization with no reading required.

I can link you to an online version of my biomechanics book. It was a good intro to physiology, but it's pretty math heavy. Unless you're actually looking to memorize structures and not learn concepts?

EDIT: Actually who cares, if anyone's interested here you go - full book (use table on contents on the left, start at chapter 5 to avoid the physics) that I found pretty useful, available for free (if you use your campus VPN):

http://www.springerlink.com/content/w7l9p8#section=294715&page=1&locus=43

The chapter on motion was my favorite :)

Last edited:
MossPoh, i know ill have to do it again in college but its so interesting and I need to do something to keep my mind ticking. Plus i shadow a doctor and it would be nice to know more so that i can ask her questions and stuff about patients if i need to.

Unfortunately, i dont really want to get grays because its so expensive. I know all college textbooks are, but considering that ill probably have to get another one in college, it might not be worth the investment.

I asked this before, but what do you think of using a coloring book? I mainly just want to get acquainted with the bones and muscles and learn their functions; would this be a good tool to use?

Do you guys realize what he/she's asking??? This isn't somebody in the summer before med school...this is somebody in the summer before COLLEGE.

NO BOOK is the right answer. NO BOOK.

Playing world of warcraft for 10 hours straight per day would be less of a loser thing than what you're proposing doing right now. You must be one lame ass high schooler if you're so bored you're thinking about buying an anatomy book to read during the summer for no reason. Go get a hobby or something...yeah you can BS about how you have nothing to do and you have hobbies and friends and crap anyway...but the fact is that you're posting on SDN about what anatomy textbook you should study for fun during the summer.

Find an attractive member of the opposite sex (or same sex if that's your preference) instead of using a textbook or atlas to study for anatomy. Much more fun and you will remember it for the long run.

Best advice in the thread. You obviously need to do this.

Do you guys realize what he/she's asking??? This isn't somebody in the summer before med school...this is somebody in the summer before COLLEGE.

NO BOOK is the right answer. NO BOOK.

Playing world of warcraft for 10 hours straight per day would be less of a loser thing than what you're proposing doing right now. You must be one lame ass high schooler if you're so bored you're thinking about buying an anatomy book to read during the summer for no reason. Go get a hobby or something...yeah you can BS about how you have nothing to do and you have hobbies and friends and crap anyway...but the fact is that you're posting on SDN about what anatomy textbook you should study for fun during the summer.

Best advice in the thread. You obviously need to do this.

Oh God. I didn't even realize this. Summer before college?! :laugh:

Lucius, I cant open it :(. Well I can only read it UP to chapter 5 (and i dislike physics anyways)

Gosh wow you people wheres the drive? I thought you guys were supposed to be med students?
Heres the thing: This is the first summer ever where I have absolutely no plans. Zero plans. Possibly one job which isnt even an internship, but i feel really strange not having anything to do, academic wise. Plus some of my friends have amazing internships lines up and/or are taking classes to prep them for med school/MCAT prep, and that competitive bell in my head is ringing like crazy.

I dont care which summer it is, learning is kind of a lifelong thing (so I thought). A proper balance of academics and fun makes both of them more enjoyable.

I'm going with the coloring book instead of a legit textbook. I might end up driving down to a farther library to use a textbook as a reference, but im kind of broke.

Last edited:
Lucius, I cant open it :(. Well I can only read it UP to chapter 5 (and i dislike physics anyways)

Gosh wow you people wheres the drive? I thought you guys were supposed to be med students?
Heres the thing: This is the first summer ever where I have absolutely no plans. Zero plans. Possibly one job which isnt even an internship, but i feel really strange not having anything to do, academic wise. Plus some of my friends have amazing internships lines up and/or are taking classes to prep them for med school/MCAT prep, and that competitive bell in my head is ringing like crazy.

I dont care which summer it is, learning is kind of a lifelong thing (so I thought). A proper balance of academics and fun makes both of them more enjoyable.

I'm going with the coloring book instead of a legit textbook. I might end up driving down to a farther library to use a textbook as a reference, but im kind of broke.

Yeah I just realized it was free for us because our school had a subscription. Yours might too you never know.

Learning anatomy the summer before college starts is a useless endeavor that will give you no competitive edge. If you really want to do something academic during your summer off, start reading some novels, New York times articles, learn economics, etc. I say this because it will end up helping you a lot on your verbal when MCAT time comes around - something a lot of premeds have difficulty with. Improving reading comprehension for the MCAT is FAR more productive than any anatomy review.

Yeah I just realized it was free for us because our school had a subscription. Yours might too you never know.

Learning anatomy the summer before college starts is a useless endeavor that will give you no competitive edge. If you really want to do something academic during your summer off, start reading some novels, New York times articles, learn economics, etc. I say this because it will end up helping you a lot on your verbal when MCAT time comes around - something a lot of premeds have difficulty with. Improving reading comprehension for the MCAT is FAR more productive than any anatomy review.

This!

Dont waste your time with anatomy! Catch up on articles of medical relevence. How much do you know about obamacare? Stem-cell research? The Vacine controversy?(sp?) Increase your MCAT verbal prowess and get a lenghty background on the stuff that comes up in interviews. Hell, if your really ambitious and have your college passcodes already, sift through the databases and read some research papers.:idea:

But Yeeeasssshhhhh your not even in college yet. Relax a little. Also I REALLY bothers me that you call people out and say they have no ambition, OP. :mad: That is not the case at all. As you can see from your anatomy class, HS is a joke! The summer is for relaxing so you don't get burnout from college. (Classes, volunteering, research, clubs, curing cancer is all tiring and time consuming) Summer is a time for finding your true hobbies so you don't end up with a fake sounding application where all you do is check off boxes.

Learning anatomy is a good practice. You won't be sorry for any time you give to anatomy. It helps understand yourself better and live a healthier life. You can learn anatomy online because there are a number of reputable sources online. They provide quality knowledge for free. Not exactly free. They run ads on their website and when users click on them they get something from their hard work. Below are a few good sources of human anatomy.
Human Anatomy Online (MANanatomy.com) (the best one)
Bartleby.com
visiblebody.com