Which appeals more . . . subjective, I know

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nuel

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, not that I do not know what I want to do. I know very well. I have been accepted to a few summer programs. Two stand at the top of my choice list. One of them involves theoretical, biophysical and quantum approaches to study biomolecular energy and motion in proteins and organo-catalysis in relation to nano-technology. The other one involves neural development and plasticity, neuron vs blood vessel interactions, angiogenesis and neuro-transmitters. I am leaning towards the latter because it fits, to some extent, my research interests and it is entirely lab-based. The other one is little lab but with heavy calculations and simulations. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

nuel - even though my interests also lie in the latter, i would take the more quantitative summer work. espeically now, it is becoming extremely important to have those skills, and those who have them are at a distinct advantage. wherever i was interviewed, my computational/quantitative background, coupled with wetlab interests served me well and were commented on.

if you have no interest - or you find the quantitative stuff painful - by all means do what interests you more and is more fun. there is nothing worse [ok, so there are] than hating a summer research job.

i plan to go into almost purely wet-lab stuff, in the same fields that you mentioned, but i think i will find the computational background invaluable. it is much more difficult to get the hang of the highly quantitative - and will give you some great insights/tools if you choose to use it in your work.

but like you said ... subjective ...

I second Habari.
If you can stand it, the first option will give you a unique experience.
I did some computational work - and learned that I enjoy root canals more. So while I would choose the neuro wet work, if you think comp stuff is interesting, go for it.

Aaarrrrghhh.....just the sound of it:

theoretical, biophysical and quantum approaches to study biomolecular energy and motion in proteins and organo-catalysis in relation to nano-technology

:D

Either way, you can't go wrong. Congratulations on your choices!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was strongly considering working in the biophysical arena since I intend to pursue a biophysics PhD, but the problem is that I still have organic chemistry to take, which I will take next year, and which I also think is highly essential to working in the biophysical arena (I have looked at my prospective mentor's work); although a girl who never took a calculus class was there last year, but I prefer to go somewhere prepared. I have only physics, Gen Chem I/II, Inorganic Chem, Bio classes and a prettty strong mathematical foundation under my belt. I could easily run through Organic chemistry before the summer, but . . . I want to stay with the wet lab first. Although I had one last semester doing DNA stuff, I am not satisfied yet.
Next summer I will go computational/quantitative, and will be thoroughly prepared. My plans could change after I consult with my profs tomorrow. Having declined other offers, I still have till Friday to make my decisions concerning my "two wives" . :laugh:

i'd actually take the opposite stance from habari and surge - i'd say go with the neuro wet work. while its very good to have a strong quant background, i think it'll give you a better rap with MD/PhD programs because you can tie in your research to some sort of clinical applications. so when people say "Why MD/PhD not the MD or not the PhD?" (and they will ad naseum) you can relate your reasons to the type of research you have experience with and your future research interests.

yeah ... darkchild has a good point. i did computational during the year and wet-lab in the summer so i could connect them. i guess i'm thinking long-term on taht one. neul your plan now seems good, especially since you'll get to do taht stuff next year if you are still interested. it really doesn't matter, this decision will hardly make or break you - just enojy it and get something out if it.

My institution is not that of a big place where all the research facilities exist. So doing quantitative work during the semester is rather moonshine, only wet lab! One of my profs got an NIH grant and he needs some students to work with him starting from next Fall. I only pray he takes me in. He once said "These foreigners are so proud because they think they know too much!!" Well, I am still praying 'cause I am a foreigner. But I am doing well in his class and ke knows my abilities very well, not that I am cocky or so . . . far from it.
Though I am pretty "quantitative", most likely wet lab will win the game this summer. Biophysical might be for the summer of next year.
Thanks guys, you gave great responses :clap:

Originally posted by Nuel
"These foreigners are so proud because they think they know too much!!"

Ummm... but, we do!!! :D

OK, seriously now, and it's clear we're beating a dead horse here....
I think you made a good decision. What DarkChild said is definitely true, although I think both Habari and I were implying that it might be useful (by the virtue of making for a more unique exposure) to have some computational work IN ADDITION to wet lab work. There's no doubt that wet lab work is probably the way to go for most MD/PhD programs for reasons DarkChild mentioned. Having said that, however, I've met at least 3 accepted applicants this year whose extent of wetlab experience was Bio 1 lab, and they were going exclusively into computational work.

Do what you are interested in, and you will do well.

So, where are you spending your summer?

if you know the wet lab stuff is definetly your research interest, then by ALL means I would definetly choose it. I am saying that if you are positive that is your research interest, experience in that area will be a huge pluss in ter ms of getting a head start for when you start MD/PhD.
But, if you're curious about computational research, then go for it! a summer research is a good place to explore.

Off side, for those of you have done computatational research... in what ways do y ou consider it different from lab research. Do you think it's less of repetive experiment? what are the negatives of it(besides you have to sit in front of a computer all day)? The intense math is almost a plus for me (i'm good at it).