Which are low/mid-tier schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDough1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian applicant and have a 3.5 undergraduate gpa (my last 2 years were each 4.0 though) and an mcat of 27O (10 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS). I plan to rewrite the mcat this summer though. As well, I have a masters degree in pharmacology from a highly ranked school in the UK.... I have a lot of research experience but my clinical experience is somewhat limited, although I did volunteer for a government-run ambulance service in Israel for a summer and saw/did a lot of intense medically-related things.

I'm wondering which US schools I have a shot at with these stats? I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

As you stand, osteopathic (DO) schools would be your only reasonable option. You won't get into a US MD school with a verbal of 7, and it might be difficult with DO schools as well. Both have an expectation of a reasonable amount of clinical experience and physician shadowing. Let us know when you get the results of your new MCAT, as that might change the possibilities for you.

Don't listen to the nagative SDN god's, with their 3.9/41 stats... Pick up a copy of the MSAR (www.aamc.org), and pick out schools based on what you read.

Oh no! He made a 7 in VR when English is most likely his 2nd language.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you stand, osteopathic (DO) schools would be your only reasonable option. You won't get into a US MD school with a verbal of 7, and it might be difficult with DO schools as well. Both have an expectation of a reasonable amount of clinical experience and physician shadowing. Let us know when you get the results of your new MCAT, as that might change the possibilities for you.

???

Don't listen to this guy. There are plenty of people at US med schools with a Verbal of 7, plus you plan on re-taking it anyways. I think with your degree and experience you have a fantastic chance at most US MD medical programs.

In answer to your question. In my opinion there arn't really any Mid or Low tier med schools in the US. You have your top notch academic research institution such as harvard and johns hopkins. Then the rest are all about the same when it comes down to it.

Best of luck to you

I think the verbal of 7 makes a US MD admission problematic, especially as an international applicant. Hopefully your next MCAT score will fix the problem.

Oh no! He made a 7 in VR when English is most likely his 2nd language.

The dude is Canadian and got an advanced degree in the UK (both english speaking nations) -- nobody is going to give him much of a benefit of the doubt of not speaking english.

OP needs to retake the MCAT and ask again later. There are no "tiers" in med school per se -- tiers are a creation by companies like Barrons for undergrad schools. There are rankings, done by companies such as US News, which debatably track levels of "prestige" of med schools, and are tied into amount of research money generated by that program, but are not particularly tied to quality of education or even longterm career success.

I'd say there is no value asking "where should I apply" until you get a better MCAT. Currently as a non-US applicant with a low MCAT and an average GPA, you are a longshot at all US allo schools. After you improve your MCAT, you might be able to get a better assessment.

The dude is Canadian and got an advanced degree in the UK (both english speaking nations) -- nobody is going to give him much of a benefit of the doubt of not speaking english.

OP needs to retake the MCAT and ask again later. There are no "tiers" in med school per se -- tiers are a creation by companies like Barrons for undergrad schools. There are rankings, done by companies such as US News, which debatably track levels of "prestige" of med schools, and are tied into amount of research money generated by that program, but are not particularly tied to quality of education or even longterm career success.

I'd say there is no value asking "where should I apply" until you get a better MCAT. Currently as a non-US applicant with a low MCAT and an average GPA, you are a longshot at all US allo schools. After you improve your MCAT, you might be able to get a better assessment.

In addition, US schools that regularly accept Canadians will know that this applicant has ZERO chance in his home country with that MCAT; a low VR and a tepid "O" on the writing sample are the kiss of death for Canadian med schools.

In addition, US schools that regularly accept Canadians will know that this applicant has ZERO chance in his home country with that MCAT; a low VR and a tepid "O" on the writing sample are the kiss of death for Canadian med schools.
what's wrong with the "O"?

http://www.studentdoc.com/medfind.html gives estimates of chances based on your stats (objective data). With what you told us, you wouldn't be considered competitive at many schools, but there are a few if you put your stats in there... Do you know why you did so poorly on the verbal section? I agree with the others here that as a Canadian applicant (and really any applicant with a below average VR AND writing sample), you are going to be viewed as a pretty weak applicant just about everywhere.

Also, your clinical experience seems interesting, although it doesn't appear you have a lot of it if you've only done one summer. I'd definitely get some more clinical experience, esp. in a subfield you'd be interested in pursuing as a physician so that you have a strong theme to your app.

In the United States, nothing.

In Canada, it falls below the minimum of most, if not all of their medical schools.

Correct. In Canada, an "O" gets you screened at every Canadian med school, from what I have heard.

They are looking for "R" or better IIRC...