Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Which area would you rather live in during medical school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SuperSlacker, May 8, 2007.

?

Which city would you rather live in during med school?

1. Syracuse, NY (SUNY Upstate)

12 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. Buffalo, NY (SUNY Buffalo)

8 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Winston-Salem, NC (Wake Forest)

52 vote(s)
    46.8%
  4. None of the above, pray you get off waitlists...

39 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. SuperSlacker

SuperSlacker Master Procrastinator
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Location matters a lot to me because I'll be spending 7 years of my life there (MD/PhD)...

Syracuse/Buffalo/Winston-Salem?

I'm from socal, so none of these places felt like a perfect fit. I like Wake's research, but not the town...

Asking for any opinions/information regarding diverseity/quality of life, etc. in these cities. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, I've never been to Winston-Salem, but just remember that pretty much everyone there is a smoker. I'm also pretty sure it's a nice twin city setup (hey, the RJR building is a clone of the Chrysler building or something I think), but I dunno if I'd really wanna be one of the few non-smokers around.

I picked Buffalo just because I remember Syracuse basically being ultra run-down and ghetto, although that really applies to many cities in Western NY.

Anyways, also remember if you're not a NY State resident, that you can get NY State residency after just 1 year so I feel like that might be something to consider.

That said, you shouldn't pick Buffalo, because I am on the waitlist. So...yeah, Winston-Salem is a nice town, and better weather for your So-Cal self than the other 2 choices (both of which are freezing). Except in So-Cal it's also fairly smoke free, so just get ready for muchos smoking, lol.

If you have asthma the decision is a lot easier btw.

lol, W-S is one of the few places where a proposed statewide North Carolina smoking ban managed to get Democrats to side with Republicans to vote it down: http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351052490&path=!news!yesterday&s=1037645509099
    Not entirely surprising since MANY people from the Winston-Salem area are millionaires or multi-millionaires due to the tobacco companies, and there's a LOT of loyalty to that (kinda sweet actually, but also bad from a health perspective lol).

4. UnderdogMD

UnderdogMD Blow the Whistle!!!
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Not even a choice. About the only way to get NC residency is to marry someone from NC. Choose one of the NY schools. Graduating with less debt is always a good thing. Its not like your making a decision about where to live the rest of your life.

Also personal opinion-A guy from Socal seems better fit for NY than a city in the south. The south can seem like a culture shock unless you grew up here. Also, its not like I have anything invested in either of these schools, so I tried to offer an unbiased opinion.

5. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!
    2+ Year Member

you'll be warmer in nc.

6. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Maybe a better fit for NYC but we're talking about Syracuse and Buffalo here. Trust me, even people who live there are looking to move, unless they are 50 yrs old and over, like silence, like snow, or dead.

What are your waitlist options?

7. little pebble

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Wake is private, so residency doesn't matter. Also, as long as you didn't move to North Carolina specifically for college you can get residency. My sister's finding it quite easy to establish, but she and her husband moved up there for his job, and she's not in school right now.

8. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I'm from NY (Long Island, to be exact), and the few times I've been upstate I've hated it. It's hard to imagine myself adjusting to the way of life up there; it's very different. I wouldn't imagine it'd mesh well with someone from Cali. I've been to NC a few times, and it was pretty nice. So I guess I'd reccomend Wake Forest.

As far as everyone mentioning tuition, residency, etc, I think OP mentioned they were in an MSTP program. Doesn't that mean they get a stiped and their tuition is essentially free? Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know much about MSTP.

9. UnderdogMD

UnderdogMD Blow the Whistle!!!
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Sorry, it was early morning and misread :D . 7 years vs. 4 years is a big difference. Also, like above poster mentioned with MSTP tuition might not matter. If tuition is not an issue I would choose NC.

What I meant by getting NC residency is hard is that you have to be there for at least 1 year for some other purpose besides education. This is not easy to do.

10. VaulterGirl

VaulterGirl I ♥ Coquí
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am originally from so. cal and I now live in Winston-Salem...it sucks!!! PM me if you have any questions.

11. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well I'm originally from norcal and I live in Virginia (a little farther north but still technically part of the "south"), and it's really no big deal. I guess norcal has less of a distinctive culture than socal, but I think this whole "culture shock" thing tends to be greatly exagerrated. Life is all about making adaptations.

In any case, I don't know if you're a hockey fan, OP, but the Buffalo Sabres are kicking all sorts of ass in the playoffs (I pick them to win the cup this year). That shouldn't be your deciding factor, but you know, it's something.

12. VCMM414

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    None of the three programs the OP mentioned have MSTP programs.

13. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!
    2+ Year Member

the issue i see is, does a californian want to live in a small city with normal seasons or a small city with pretty long winters? hmmm . . .

14. little pebble

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Actually...

From WFSOM:

MD-PhD Program Benefits & Support
    In most cases, students accepted to the program receive full tuition scholarships plus competitive stipends for the duration of both MD and PhD portions of the program. Additionally, an IBM thinkpad laptop computer is provided at matriculation and a palm-pilot PDA given before entry into the 3rd year of medical school. Health insurance is subsidized during graduate school and summer research rotations.

From Syracuse:

Students in the program [MD / PhD] receive a full tuition waiver and an annual stipend of $21,014

From Buffalo:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The student's funding during MSTP is provided as a fellowship by the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences during the M.D. component and as a stipend by the individual departments during the Ph.D. component. The proposed fellowship for 2007-2008 is $20,000 and the Current Graduate student stipend range is $21,000 - 23,000.

.PS: Go here (http://www.aamc.org/research/dbr/mdphd/programs.htm) It's got links to all of the programs and it's my new favorite place!! Although these programs aren't NIH MSTP, they still have money...

So either way, the OP doesn't have to worry about money. On Wake, which I can actually talk about because I've been there, it'll be warmer than New York, with less snow. In NC, you'll have beaches at one end of the state and mountains at the other. I think it takes 2 hours to get to the mountains, if you drive like I drive! Since you'll be getting a PhD on top of your medical degree, I would think research would be key. Also, do you have a significant other? You might want to think about the possibility of them getting a job in either place.

I can't believe I'm supporting NC. That state's never done anything good for me, ever!! But, since the SO lives in the Piedmont Triad area (W-S, Greensboro, & High Point), I see a lot of it.

Can anyone talk about either of the NY schools or the area definitively? After my epidemiology final (yay, MPH!) I'l update with more info on W-S.

15. cnoevil

cnoevil good with kids
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hahah...your tunnel vision makes me laugh. i lived there for 4 years and i never got the indication that there were more smokers or bajillonaires per capita than any other dump out there. you forgot to mention that the wachovia building looks like a giant phallus.....

16. Irishpoet85

Pre-Medical
    I can't speak about W-S (although I am sure it is MUCH warmer there than either Buff or Syracuse), but I can talk about both NY cities.

I currently live in Buffalo, and I used to live in Syracuse. On the whole, real estate is just about equally as cheap in either location (because most of upstate NY is a little economically depressed). However, I think Buffalo is superior for the following reasons:

1. It is the 2nd largest city in NY (after NYC obviously), so there is certainly cultural diversity, as well as a great art district, theater district, museums, and parks

2. Two pro sports teams: The bills (who are not doing great :( ) and the Sabres (who RULE!!!! :) )

3. A large downtown area with many bars, pubs, shops, and restaurants

4. Close proximity to Toronto, which is an awesome city

5. Buffalo Airport, where you can get tickets to fly to places like boston and nyc for less than 130 round-trip

6. Believe it or not, it is less snowy in Buffalo than in Syracuse, so unless you are looking for a ton of snow, Buffalo is better (but of course W-S would be best :) )

Don't get me wrong, Syracuse has a lot of pluses, too...I just happen to LOVE LOVE LOVE buffalo!

17. etsuprinthead

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    never been to NY, but winston-salem's a pretty conservative, old-money town, from what i can tell. maybe that's good / not important to you, but i cancelled my wake interview cause i couldn't imagine living there. but i'm headed to berkeley, so that tells you where i fall on the left/right spectrum. if you're "right," then i suppose w-s would work out just fine.