Which Base?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ender

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that in the Medical Corps, all branches of the military work together in hopitals. So if I was a USAF anesthesiologist, could I be sent to any base (army, navy or airforce)? Or would I only go to airforce bases? Thanks.

Ender

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that in the Medical Corps, all branches of the military work together in hopitals. So if I was a USAF anesthesiologist, could I be sent to any base (army, navy or airforce)? Or would I only go to airforce bases? Thanks.

Ender

Only Air Force bases or bases that are Army/Air Force or Navy/Air Force.

There are rare exceptions, but generally that's the rule.

The exceptions tend to be where there are hospitals of two services within close proximity and a given provider may work at both, usually because one of the hospitals is more of a superclinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which bases are Navy/AF and Army/AF?

Which bases are Navy/AF and Army/AF?

Wilford Hall/Brooke Army Medical Center=Army/Air Force

Walter Reed/NNMC Bethesda=Navy/Army

Tripler AMC=Army/Air Force

Those are the only ones I know off the top of my head

Since you're talking AF anesthesiology specifically, I can tell you that the only current location that has providers from other services is Landstuhl. In San Antonio BAMC is all Army and Wilford Hall is all Air Force (the residents are combined). They are supposed to combine to SAMMC by 2011 or 2012 - I'll believe it when I see it. I am not aware of any AF anesthesia providers at Tripler.

What you can do is organize a swap in billets. For example last year an Army guy went to San Diego, and in exchange a Navy guy went to Germany.

If the Army and Navy get their way, then in a few years anyone could be stationed anywhere that there's at least one MTF.

I don't know that it'll ever happen, though. The Air Force seems hellbent on not allowing the joint medical corps. Personally, I hope it doesn't happen. That's just because, as an enlisted AF member planning to become an AF doc, I'd really like to be stationed at an AF base. (Just passed my 6-year mark, and I've spent all of 6 months total on AF bases.)

Cards is fellowship. There's no EM at Bethesda period. Never met a single Gen Surg or ENT AF resident in NNMC. Also, hard to believe the Navy is taking many ENT from AF given the number they have stacked up in GMO land right now. You're talking about Portsmouth I take it?

Yes, and I'm not talking about residents either. The only residents I know there are AF peds from the Keesler debacle.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there a list somewhere of bases you could potentially be stationed at as an Air Force anesthesiologist? I'm guessing not all of them have ORs...

Thanks in advance.

If you are AF do you have access to the KX? You could look there.
I'm actually not AF, but my husband is currently looking into serving for a few years, either starting during residency with the FAP or after with the loan repayment program. I was just curious where we could be potentially stationed if he does decide to do it. (I know it's a really premature question, but I like to have some semblance of what I'm getting into, even if it's just as a spouse. :))

I'm actually not AF, but my husband is currently looking into serving for a few years, either starting during residency with the FAP or after with the loan repayment program. I was just curious where we could be potentially stationed if he does decide to do it. (I know it's a really premature question, but I like to have some semblance of what I'm getting into, even if it's just as a spouse. :))

This list is not 100% accurate, as I am not in the Air Force, but I have several friends who are, and I think it is close.

Andrews AFB, D.C.
Eglin AFB, Fort Walton Beach, FL
Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX
Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH
Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS
Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, NV
Travis AFB, Fairfield, CA
Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage, AK
AF Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
Landstuhl RMC, Germany
Someplace in Japan (Yokota?)

This list is not 100% accurate, as I am not in the Air Force, but I have several friends who are, and I think it is close.

Andrews AFB, D.C.
Eglin AFB, Fort Walton Beach, FL
Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX
Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH
Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS
Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, NV
Travis AFB, Fairfield, CA
Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage, AK
AF Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
Landstuhl RMC, Germany
Someplace in Japan (Yokota?)
Hey, thanks so much, I really appreciate it. If anyone else has any bases to add, that would be great!