1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Which book is best per subject for MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by gangasruthi, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. gangasruthi

gangasruthi 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi,

I wanted to know to prepare for the MCAT, using all the resources I have, which book (Kaplan,Princeton, Berkely, or EK, etc.) is best for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Organic Chemistry. I wanted to focus on one to two main books for each subject when taking notes, and then reading over the other books to add information to what I have already read. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. clairephillips

clairephillips 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Gangas,
    There are lots of posts on here going years back that argue for different things, but the truth is, the best books are the ones that work for YOU. What kind of learner are you? How long ago did you have your prereqs? Then, maybe I can advise a little better.

4. gangasruthi

Pre-Medical
    Hi,
    I have just finished all the prereqs. I just finished Sophomore year and plan to take the MCAT this year. I am better with visual and hands on learning. I think I study better when I take my own notes. I hope that helps?

5. clairephillips

clairephillips 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Okay, I think your best bets, then are either:
    1) Examkrackers: Benefits: Short, to the point, quick to review if you don't have a lot of time. In-class exams in the back are sometimes ridiculously hard and may not even be on the material covered in the chapter. For a visual learner, it may be really great because the pics are full color and glossy. If things came easily to you, this is a great review, but you absolutely need more practice problems after content review.

2) Berkeley Review: Benefits: Lots of detail, sometimes a ridiculous amount if you get overwhelmed. You have to really work to pick out the important details from the ones you don't need as much. They have great exams that are killer-tough, with lots of practice problems, although you might still want some others. People LOVE them on SDN.

I would steer clear of Kaplan & TPRH unless you need a hand-holding review of a tough subject. That being said, I'm using TPRH because I took most of my courses multiple years ago and hand-holding is EXACTLY what I need. I have been recommending Chad's Videos at coursesaver.com to lots of people as well because they really help me, as a visual/kinesthetic learner. It's like being in class!

6. gangasruthi

Pre-Medical
    Thank you so much! This really helps! What I have noticed is that all 4 books have extra information here and there, which is sometimes problematic, because it's a bit hard to pick out what is really important.

7. zinthafan

zinthafan

Pre-Medical
    I found Kaplan Physics very helpful personally, I used that with EK Physics. I liked TPRH Cracking the MCAT book but didn't use any of the other TPRH books. I got a 13 on the Bio section of my MCAT using only EK- granted, I'm a bio major too, but I didn't think my major was much help for the MCAT considering what little I felt I took out of it. Maybe genetics was helpful.

About the ads