beachdude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hi guys

Just wondering - which is a better book for an EM Elective for knowledge, and looking smart...First Aid, or Emergency Secrets?

Someone told me that Emergency Secrets was mean for residents, and contained a lot of unecessary stuff for med student? Not too sure if that's true or not

Thanks

mikecwru

M.D. = Massive Debt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
beachdude said:
Hi guys

Just wondering - which is a better book for an EM Elective for knowledge, and looking smart...First Aid, or Emergency Secrets?

Someone told me that Emergency Secrets was mean for residents, and contained a lot of unecessary stuff for med student? Not too sure if that's true or not

Thanks
It's very possible to get through secrets in a month, but you'll have to be diligent and put effort into it. I would only do that if you had a written test at the end of the rotation. Otherwise, just show you're interest by reading on the patients you see, that should probably be enough. I think the baby Tintinalli is a good reference book for students/residents. The place you rotate will probably have the main texts on hand, too.

mike

EPA7X1

Emergency
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
Status
If you have liked the others in the First Aid series, than that is probably a good one. One of my away rotations used it as the required text, and I found it to have plenty of useful information at the student level.

Personally, I hate the First Aid format, and used Current Emergency Diagnosis and Treatment for both my EM rotations. It won't fit in your pocket (neither will First Aid), but it had just the right amount of information for me, and was easy to read.