Which books for surgical procedure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ianstone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

You don't learn procedure with books, you learn by doing and being taught by someone who has done it before. Get in touch with ethicon and see if they will send you their free (to US med students) suture tying kit, and read through the short pamphlet that comes with that kit. There are probably good youtube videos on suturing knots and scrubbing technique. I think NEJM or JAMA online has videos on various bedside procedures as well. Beyond that, you learn on the job.

true you learn by doing but it's also a whole lot less boring watching as med students when you know what the next step is. also, if you doze off you can answer the pimp questions related to anatomy based on what step should be next.

I used 2 books for this. (1) Gowned and gloved surgery and (2) surgical anatomy and technique by skandalakis

Gowned and gloved is more med school level. great for the gen surg part. surgical anatomy and technique covers Ob/gyn subjects too but is at a resident level.

also i think that lawrence has a few pages in the back dedicated to the steps of the general surgery procedures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Access Surgery has resources that are at a pretty basic level that is good for students. There are videos, diagramatic representations, and explanations of procedures.

I agree with the poster above who said that knowing the next step is good for pimping. Reading and knowing what's going on will also give you the knowledge to ask good questions and show more interest during cases.

+1 on Lawrence as well for general surgery. Loved it.

You don't learn procedure with books, you learn by doing and being taught by someone who has done it before. Get in touch with ethicon and see if they will send you their free (to US med students) suture tying kit, and read through the short pamphlet that comes with that kit. There are probably good youtube videos on suturing knots and scrubbing technique. I think NEJM or JAMA online has videos on various bedside procedures as well. Beyond that, you learn on the job.
So the OP shouldn't buy any books for surgery (because that is what he/she asked about, after all)?

So the OP shouldn't buy any books for surgery (because that is what he/she asked about, after all)?

Um no, that is NOT what the OP asked about. The OP asked about books for "surgical procedure". Surgery is a specialty and there are lots of books for that. Procedures are what you do in a surgical specialty, and you don't learn them by reading books. An important and not subtle distinction. You have to read all of the words.

never mind. :D all the above replies are very helpful. thank you.