Which business skills would be most useful in dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

I have 2 possible choices for taking classes (economics vs business admin) and want to choose whichever will provide me with the best skillset if I ever open up a practice in dentistry.

1) Economics
-micro, macro, law in economics, upper level econ classes

2) Business Admin
-intro to management, marketing, supply chain

Both options require financial accounting.
What would be the better minor/area to pursue and provide a good business skillset for dentistry? Or I can just dabble in both and take the most useful classes of the two.. which would be the best individual classes on the list above?

Members don't see this ad.

I have 2 possible choices for taking classes (economics vs business admin) and want to choose whichever will provide me with the best skillset if I ever open up a practice in dentistry.

1) Economics
-micro, macro, law in economics, upper level econ classes

2) Business Admin
-intro to management, marketing, supply chain

Both options require financial accounting.
What would be the better minor/area to pursue and provide a good business skillset for dentistry? Or I can just dabble in both and take the most useful classes of the two.. which would be the best individual classes on the list above?
neither read books on consumerism/ capitalism

Neither, you will likely forget everything by the time you go into practice and you'll learn more related to dentistry as an associate than any of these classes can provide.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Business administration. I have personally worked for three dentists whose OM embezzeled from them. In my experience most dentists are clueless when it comes to office finances.

Business administration. I have personally worked for three dentists whose OM embezzeled from them. In my experience most dentists are clueless when it comes to office finances.

The Business Administration he it talking about wouldn't transfer to actually administering his own business though. Generally that is a major for people that want to go into sales, not run their own companies.

Personally, if you are looking at courses to help you run your business, I would take some general accounting classes that deal with day to day business accounting and financial statements, a few HR classes that deal with the payroll/tax side of HR and maybe some courses on investments/insurance. I agree with sjv though, by the time you need any of this, you will have forgotten all of it. You can pick up the same info from a community college class or two after you get out of dental school or pick up a couple books when needed. I would take extra anatomy classes and any other classes that might give you a let up in dental school before you worry about management classes for your practice.