Which carribean medical schools accept students with 2.7 gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apollo18

Reaction score
hello everyone.
please give me a serious answer the pulse or checkbook answer is not serious

i have completed my 4 year bsc at a university in canada, it is a high standing one. All together my GPA is around 2.7. I know it is low and I know everyone is going to say I will get killed in medical school, but I was working all the time over my years, and I know I am fully capable of getting higher GPA when I will get student loans to study in carribean without working.

Serious question: which carribean medical universities will accept me or which do i have a shot at with 2.7 gpa, no mcat, and i have volunteer/ec

if none will even the lower ones, then which score on MCAT can guarantee my acceptance? I wrote my DAT 2 years ago and got 24AA, so i believe I can also do well on the MCAT when I am not working which I wont be

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Caribbean medical school, especially in your case, is a recipe for disaster. About 30% of students that started never finish, and of those that make it to the end of 4th year only 50-60% get a residency spot. I would strongly recommend you try something else, or try to bring your gpa back up so you can get into a US DO school instead, or try a post-bacc program with linkage. Also, the MCAT is a totally different beast compared to DAT, and it's definitely a LOT harder. Don't just think because you did well on DAT, you're gonna waltz through the MCAT without adequate preparation (study for 3 months at least). Otherwise you're gonna be in for a world of surprises.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Caribbean medical school, especially in your case, is a recipe for disaster. About 30% of students that started never finish, and of those that make it to the end of 4th year only 50-60% get a residency spot. I would strongly recommend you try something else, or try to bring your gpa back up so you can get into a US DO school instead, or try a post-bacc program with linkage. Also, the MCAT is a totally different beast compared to DAT, and it's definitely a LOT harder. Don't just think because you did well on DAT, you're gonna waltz through the MCAT without adequate preparation (study for 3 months at least). Otherwise you're gonna be in for a world of surprises.

thank you for the advice, and yes i was actually going to study 4-5 months for the mcat! i know it is harder, but 24aa on the dat is no slouch considering average is 19.

but in all seriousness, any schools that will accept a 2.7??

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for the advice, and yes i was actually going to study 4-5 months for the mcat! i know it is harder, but 24aa on the dat is no slouch considering average is 19.

but in all seriousness, any schools that will accept a 2.7??
All of them, technically. If you score low 490s-500s you'll likely get MERPED/chartered at Ross/SGU respectively though, so you'd have to pass their pre-med course that gives admission to their school. I always agree with people saying to re-mediate yourself at least 1-3yrs before going Caribbean though, especially since Step 1 will be P/F before you take it. Why not try dental school if you did well on their exam?

anyways if you don't care about for any advice and just want a Y/N answer here you go.
490-500's+ MCAT w/ your GPA =SGU/Ross/AUC
Any MCAT score=AUA/SABA
Having a pulse and an MCAT of 0= literally all of the other ones.

All of them, technically. If you score low 490s-500s you'll likely get MERPED/chartered at Ross/SGU respectively though, so you'd have to pass their pre-med course that gives admission to their school. I always agree with people saying to re-mediate yourself at least 1-3yrs before going Caribbean though, especially since Step 1 will be P/F before you take it. Why not try dental school if you did well on their exam?

anyways if you don't care about for any advice and just want a Y/N answer here you go.
490-500's+ MCAT w/ your GPA =SGU/Ross/AUC
Any MCAT score=AUA/SABA
Having a pulse and an MCAT of 0= literally all of the other ones.

thank you sooooo much for the y/n answer,
so you are basically saying with my gpa and a 500+ mcat, i can get sgu/ross/auc
and as long as a i sit the mcat, and just get whatever like a 472+ then i can goto AUA/Saba as long as i sat the mcat?

thanks

and as long as a i sit the mcat, and just get whatever like a 450+ then i can goto AUA/Saba as long as i sat the mcat?

thanks
The lowest you can get on the MCAT is 472

The lowest you can get on the MCAT is 472
kk thx edited!!

but was i right with what i said

"
and as long as a i sit the mcat, and just get whatever like a 472+ then i can goto AUA/Saba as long as i sat the mcat?"

hello everyone.

i have completed my 4 year bsc at a university in canada, it is a high standing one. All together my GPA is around 2.7. I know it is low and I know everyone is going to say I will get killed in medical school, but I was working all the time over my years, and I know I am fully capable of getting higher GPA when I will get student loans to study in carribean without working.

Serious question: which carribean medical universities will accept me or which do i have a shot at with 2.7 gpa, no mcat, and i have volunteer/ec

if none will even the lower ones, then which score on MCAT can guarantee my acceptance? I wrote my DAT 2 years ago and got 24AA, so i believe I can also do well on the MCAT when I am not working which I wont be

thank you
Pulse and a checkbook actually is a serious answer for a lot of schools

Any school that will take you without an mcat is just checking how flippant you are with your money. All of the carrib schools, even the better ones, have a significantly higher risk of you never being a doctor in the US.

This is a bad plan

Reactions: 3 users
and as long as a i sit the mcat, and just get whatever like a 472+ then i can goto AUA/Saba as long as i sat the mcat?

thanks
Man your mindset is so not right for med school in general lol. You should be studying for the highest score full stop. The bigger schools already have attrition in the 30-45% range with the lower tiers being upwards of 75%. You said you'll be able to do well in med school despite undergrad so why not start with the MCAT? Pop a 510+ and doors will start to open for you, especially with some remediation.

Reactions: 1 users
Man your mindset is so not right for med school in general lol. You should be studying for the highest score full stop. The bigger schools already have attrition in the 30-45% range with the lower tiers being upwards of 75%. You said you'll be able to do well in med school despite undergrad so why not start with the MCAT? Pop a 510+ and doors will start to open for you, especially with some remediation.

oh yes, no i completely understand, i am no way hoping for a 472 ahaha i was just wondering because i dont want to spend time writing the mcat if my gpa is low, im aiming for the skies with the mcat and dedicating 4-5 months on it with no work. i just want to make sure that lets say if i get a low score what will happen

oh yes, no i completely understand, i am no way hoping for a 472 ahaha i was just wondering because i dont want to spend time writing the mcat if my gpa is low, im aiming for the skies with the mcat and dedicating 4-5 months on it with no work. i just want to make sure that lets say if i get a low score what will happen
Even if you get 515+, with a 2.7 it will be hard to get an A at any US medical school. But carribean? Piece of cake.

Do a post bacc and fix your GPA. Take your MCAT and get a decent score. Apply to DO.

I went to a big 4, matched FM this season. Like you, I am a Canadian. The odds are severely stacked against you as a non-US-IMG. For the same USMLE scores, expect 50% fewer invites than US-imgs. The situation with visas is highly volatile. Those programs that take IMGs are often unwilling to risk taking non-US-imgs.

Avoid the lure of instant gratification and instead pursue an option that is much better for your future.

Good luck.

Last edited:
hello everyone.

thank you
ok I am going to give you answer instead telling you not to do Caribbean and pursue other things. in all honesty , if you tried for 2-3 years and no luck with DO OR MD then Caribbean in any of top 5 schools is good . AUA, AUC, ROSS, SGU, SABA. with your mcat and GPA , ROSS/AUC most likely put you in this thing called MERP( which is fast based version of first semester of med school there!) SGU most likely wont have a chance because of your MCAT. SABA / AUA you have decent shot . anyways ROSS, AUC, SGU are most fast paced and about only 300/900 make it to the 4th year of medical school but almost all ( 94%) match unlike what ppl suggest on here . For AUA,( the school I attended and got matched from ) , 100/300 made it to 4th year and about again 85-90% matched( fluctuation due to the yearly difference in class) . I wrote review if aua you can go check it out on this section of forum. for Saba, again it is fast paced but not as fast as ROSS, SGU, AUC. if you are person who is quick on your feet and can adapt fast I say do AUC/ ROSS , you have the most option to match out of those schools. if you are slow learner like me need lot of time then i suggest AUA then SABA.

Members don't see this ad :)

i think he was nice with attrition rate .. it is much worse. also the number i mentioned 900 was from 5 years ago when i applied. that attrition is scary not gonna lie . i feel like if you have to do Caribbean , then get hold of Kaplan vids for step 1 and prepare at least a year in advance . if you do that , then med school will be a breeze even at Caribbean med school. Caribbean wont support you like us medical school, and they easily show you a door out. but if you exhausted all options , then don't try dental school or pharmacy school just because you couldn't get into us school. live your dream and it is totally doable!!! and for anatomy , step 1 doesn't have much anatomy anyways !.

Last edited:
ok I am going to give you answer instead telling you not to do Caribbean and pursue other things. in all honesty , if you tried for 2-3 years and no luck with DO OR MD then Caribbean in any of top 5 schools is good . AUA, AUC, ROSS, SGU, SABA. with your mcat and GPA , ROSS/AUC most likely put you in this thing called MERP( which is fast based version of first semester of med school there!) SGU most likely wont have a chance because of your MCAT. SABA / AUA you have decent shot . anyways ROSS, AUC, SGU are most fast paced and about only 300/900 make it to the 4th year of medical school but almost all ( 94%) match unlike what ppl suggest on here . For AUA,( the school I attended and got matched from ) , 100/300 made it to 4th year and about again 85-90% matched( fluctuation due to the yearly difference in class) . I wrote review if aua you can go check it out on this section of forum. for Saba, again it is fast paced but not as fast as ROSS, SGU, AUC. if you are person who is quick on your feet and can adapt fast I say do AUC/ ROSS , you have the most option to match out of those schools. if you are slow learner like me need lot of time then i suggest AUA then SABA.

thank you so much for the help! i actually have not written the MCAT yet, so it seems like i have to write the mcat for those good schools, which mcat score do you think i need to goto these schools?
i think since im canadian i dont need mcat for some schools, and i believe SABA is one of those

any clue in this case?

thx!

thank you so much for the help! i actually have not written the MCAT yet, so it seems like i have to write the mcat for those good schools, which mcat score do you think i need to goto these schools?
i think since im canadian i dont need mcat for some schools, and i believe SABA is one of those

any clue in this case?

thx!
Saba you need mcat but aua is the only one you dont

any clue in this case?

thx!
But take your mcat and give us schools fair shot

basically it seems like with everyones help on this forum i should be able to get acceptance into a good carribean school with a high mcat, paired up with good personal statement and increase my EC's right? hoping for minimum a 510+, but going to shoot for the skies!!

basically it seems like with everyones help on this forum i should be able to get acceptance into a good carribean school with a high mcat, paired up with good personal statement and increase my EC's right? hoping for minimum a 510+, but going to shoot for the skies!!
you should also not accept. The risk is too high.

There is no such thing known as a "good carribean school". They are called second chance medical schools for a reason.

Edit: Also with a 510+ MCAT I would not apply to a carribean school at all. I would focus instead on getting my GPA above 3.0 and apply to US DO schools. There are several DO schools here that would accept Canadians with those stats.

• Love
ALSO, WATCH THE VIDEOS I POSTED ABOVE IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!!!

There is no such thing known as a "good carribean school". They are called second chance medical schools for a reason.

Edit: Also with a 510+ MCAT I would not apply to a carribean school at all. I would focus instead on getting my GPA above 3.0 and apply to US DO schools. There are several DO schools here that would accept Canadians with those stats.

haha i meant like a normal carribean school like top 5, not the 3rd chance ones

• Haha
The final message is to keep the idea of going to a Caribbean school in the very back of your head, alongside with all the thoughts of getting back together with your Ex's (i.e. The idea itself is very tempting, but deep down you know it is a horrible choice to make).

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
I am in your shoes myself trying to decide where to apply. I wish to go to SGU or Ross but have no money and did nottake the MCAT. My roommate from Western ended up in AUA and was almost about to commit suicide and ended up with 200000 loan in USD. They do not teach anything, just money grabbing . Most students fail every other semester (a trick that university uses to keep have them pay tuition) and then they dismiss them. My friend works now at Walmart and is depressed on medications.

• Wow
  • Sad
I am in your shoes myself trying to decide where to apply. I wish to go to SGU or Ross but have no money and did nottake the MCAT. My roommate from Western ended up in AUA and was almost about to commit suicide and ended up with 200000 loan in USD. They do not teach anything, just money grabbing . Most students fail every other semester (a trick that university uses to keep have them pay tuition) and then they dismiss them. My friend works now at Walmart and is depressed on medications.
If I were you, I would use my friend as motivation to try to stay here in the U.S. How can you still wanna go to the Caribbean despite having such a clear first hand example of what it can do to your life?

I'm assuming you work for a Caribbean school competing with AUA and we probably won't be hearing from you again in a couple of weeks?
Anyway hope you enjoy your stay here for a few days :) lots to read and learn on sdn.
Despite how it may looks, unfortunately those stories aren't unheard of coming from the Caribs which is why I always advise people not to go and to seriously look for other options here in the U.S.

Last edited:
Despite how it may looks, unfortunately those stories aren't unheard of coming from from the Caribs which why I always advice people not to go and to seriously look for other options here in the U.S.
Oh i agree. I just find their tactics amusing.

To actually answer this question...

SGU won't accept you.

Realistically, with those numbers and no MCAT you would not get into any Caribbean medical school that I have heard of.

Contrary to what I have read here there are certain standards that must be met before studying medicine. The lower schools will probably accept you with lower stats but that isn't exactly doing you any favors and I would advise against those programs. Most people tend to apply to and go to SGU or Ross which are the best programs.

The bigger question is why do you have a 2.7 GPA?

hello everyone.

thank you
Last year when I was considering AUA my counselor told me she has seen students get admitted with a 2.7gpa. However, I would recommend getting some shadowing experience. The MCAT is not weighed seriously at AUA, so that's not a main concern(still try to do well). I'm almost sure you'll get in if you do those things.

Unpopular opinion: if OP is serious that it was his non-academic work overload that caused him to do poorly, then Caribbean could be a viable option. Of course I echo the remediation advice, but for the right person, Caribbean isn't always a terrible idea. Caribbean is a decent route of last resort for people who know the cause of their academic shortcomings, and are ready and able to overcome them. Basically, OP needs to be sure that in a situation where he is 100% occupied only by med school, he could buckle down and kill it. Unfortunately, this is not something that is easy to predict. It's a huge gamble. Even if you nail Step 1 and do great on clinicals, the odds are always stacked against you. If you don't do those things, then you're potentially down several hundred grand. You also shouldn't even think about Caribbean unless you're going to attend a Big 4.

OP, you gotta be brutally honest with yourself. If you are emotionally mature and have good self-knowledge, and you still conclude that you could kill it in med school if you didn't have non-academic commitments, then a Big 4 Caribbean could be considered. Don't make this decision lightly.

Unpopular opinion: if OP is serious that it was his non-academic work overload that caused him to do poorly, then Caribbean could be a viable option. Of course I echo the remediation advice, but for the right person, Caribbean isn't always a terrible idea. Caribbean is a decent route of last resort for people who know the cause of their academic shortcomings, and are ready and able to overcome them. Basically, OP needs to be sure that in a situation where he is 100% occupied only by med school, he could buckle down and kill it. Unfortunately, this is not something that is easy to predict. It's a huge gamble. You also shouldn't even think about Caribbean unless you're going to attend a Big 4.

OP, you gotta be brutally honest with yourself. If you are emotionally mature and have good self-knowledge, and you still conclude that you could kill it in med school if you didn't have non-academic commitments, then a Big 4 Caribbean could be considered. Don't make this decision lightly.
Everyone thinks they are the exception

• Love