Which city is best for med students?

Without Wax

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
    I would say:

the best: new york, san francisco
    great med schools, great places to meet new young people, good food, exciting, a lot of clinical and research opportunities, SF nice weather

I can not think of other good cities

bidster

15+ Year Member
    May 29, 2003
      Without Wax said:
      I would say:

the best: new york, san francisco
      great med schools, great places to meet new young people, good food, exciting, a lot of clinical and research opportunities, SF nice weather

I can not think of other good cities

Almost any city/town could be defended on the basis of people's priorities with respect to weather, family, friends, significant others, transportation (needing a car vs. not), comfort levels in big cities, lifestyle/living conditions, safety, rent, expenses, finances etc.

I can't deny that the west coast has its own draw with the weather and the cities, but I didn't apply anywhere in the west simply because all of my family/relatives/friends are based on the east coast and traveling that far didn't seem worth it to me. I'm sure there are west coasters who feel the same about my *personal* favorites--Philadelphia, Atlanta, and New York (different types of cities but I like all of them).

About the Ads

dr.z

15+ Year Member
      Jul 3, 2004
      Detroit, MI
      1. Fellow [Any Field]
        bidster said:
        Almost any city/town could be defended on the basis of people's priorities with respect to weather, family, friends, significant others, transportation (needing a car vs. not), comfort levels in big cities, lifestyle/living conditions, safety, rent, expenses, finances etc.

I agree. I think it really depends on what type of environment you are interested in practicing.

RaistlinMajere said:
        I'd vote Boston, but I'm wicked biased.
        I'd have to go with boston on this one too, just cuz its THE biomed research mecca of the US. but this comes from someone xtremely interested in doing MD research. so i guess if ur more into the practice, it wouldnt be that great

BraneDoc

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Sep 12, 2004
        MA
          Add another one for Boston. In addition to the aforementioned reasons, don't forget that it has a huge college/grad student population, making it a relatively young city. Oh, and it's the home to the WORLD CHAMPION Boston Red Sox (just have to keep reminding myself of that).

PhotoMD

15+ Year Member
          Dec 1, 2004
          NYC
          1. Medical Student
            melimi said:
            I'd have to go with boston on this one too, just cuz its THE biomed research mecca of the US. but this comes from someone xtremely interested in doing MD research. so i guess if ur more into the practice, it wouldnt be that great

Only an easterner would say Boston is the mecca of biomedical research :D There are many places in the US that are at the cutting edge of research, and in cancer and genomic research, I doubt you'll find a place more deserving of the title than Seattle. Lee Hartwell got the nobel prize for research in cell cycle study, and he's at the University of Washington now. So are Arno Motulsky (pharmacogenetics), Maynard Olson (human genome project co-director), and Leroy Hood (systems biology). And that's just genomics. The medical school gets more money than any other in the US excepting Harvard, but that doesn't include research institutes that are partnered, like Seattle Cancer Care Alliance and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. I don't even know why I just spent so long researching this post for accuracy. Anyway, in conclusion, Seattle rules.

About the Ads

Without Wax

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jan 29, 2005
              melimi said:

I disagree with Boston. true, Boston has excellent medical research opportunities, good food, and great sports teams.

But I felt Boston to be a very traditional and rigid city. If you are not from Boston, people do not readily accept you. And there are a lot of snobs.

sockandmittens

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jul 7, 2004
                i am biased- and no it's not because of it's medschool but portland oregon is clean, safe, recycles, is cheap, and simply beautiful. i like seattle as well. i'm more likely to end up in medschool in nyc but i vote portland any day of the week. an hour or so to either the beach of all year round skiing? beat that

heeter

SDN Donor
                7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Sep 30, 2002
                  sockandmittens said:
                  i am biased- and no it's not because of it's medschool but portland oregon is clean, safe, recycles, is cheap, and simply beautiful. i like seattle as well. i'm more likely to end up in medschool in nyc but i vote portland any day of the week. an hour or so to either the beach of all year round skiing? beat that

I'd add that Portland is a really great place. I went there on a vaction (in the Fall) and loved it so much I applied there this past cycle. I had an almost zero chance of getting in (I'm from Texas) but had to give it a try. They make some great cocktails in that place!

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
                  Removed
                  10+ Year Member
                  Jan 4, 2005
                    Durham for the following reasons

1) Nothing to do but study. Should help your grades and board scores
                    2) Dangerous city - someone is invariably getting stabbed. You'll learn more about trauma medicine
                    3) All your classmates, like you, will have nothing to do, and this means you'll all bond and it'll all be great
                    4) Durham is very cheap to live in. Car insurance is free, and so is real estate
                    5) The weather. Cold enough to own a great jacket. Warm enough not to miss CA. Humid weather in the summer makes you look wet and dewy, which highlights your muscle definition (plus your tee shirt sticks to your bulging pecs).
                    6) Free weekends actually mean something. You can travel to NY or Boston or some other fun place and actually have fun
                    7) Duke is actually a great school
                    8) You'll probably get married sooner. Durham is not a hot place for singles and so if you find someone, you're probably not going to be checking to see if you'll get better 'cause that's all you're gonna get
                    9) You get to drive your own car. This means you do not have to rub shoulders with the masses. In the flu seasons, this is a definite plus
                    10) No pigeons mean no pigeon feaces falling on that great wool coat of yours.
                    11) Restaurants are many and the good ones are easy to get into.
                    12) Not many retail stores means you don't spend too much.
                    13) Durham county is surprisingly blue despite the redness of NC itself

About the Ads

davidus

7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Oct 3, 2003
                    Cali
                      sockandmittens said:

Whew, I thought I was the only one who had recycling as a criteria for choosing a med school locale.

CharlieVN

7+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Mar 17, 2004
                        GuyLaroche said:

1) Nothing to do but study. Should help your grades and board scores
                        2) Dangerous city - someone is invariably getting stabbed. You'll learn more about trauma medicine
                        3) All your classmates, like you, will have nothing to do, and this means you'll all bond and it'll all be great
                        4) Durham is very cheap to live in. Car insurance is free, and so is real estate
                        5) The weather. Cold enough to own a great jacket. Warm enough not to miss CA. Humid weather in the summer makes you look wet and dewy, which highlights your muscle definition (plus your tee shirt sticks to your bulging pecs).
                        6) Free weekends actually mean something. You can travel to NY or Boston or some other fun place and actually have fun
                        7) Duke is actually a great school
                        8) You'll probably get married sooner. Durham is not a hot place for singles and so if you find someone, you're probably not going to be checking to see if you'll get better 'cause that's all you're gonna get
                        9) You get to drive your own car. This means you do not have to rub shoulders with the masses. In the flu seasons, this is a definite plus
                        10) No pigeons mean no pigeon feaces falling on that great wool coat of yours.
                        11) Restaurants are many and the good ones are easy to get into.
                        12) Not many retail stores means you don't spend too much.
                        13) Durham county is surprisingly blue despite the redness of NC itself

HAHAA, LMFAO --> wow I'm a California guy born and raised and looks like I can't wait to go to north carolina...

chitown82

10+ Year Member
                        Aug 11, 2004
                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                          Chicago is the medical capital of the country. It has the world's largest medical district, 6 medical schools (if you count the suburban ones), the headquarters for the greatest number of professional medical societies, as diverse a patient population as possible, and some of the best teaching and research hospitals in the country.

nairay

Not burnt bread
                          10+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Mar 23, 2003
                          Los Angeles/Davis, CA
                            While I would love to be back in a big city, I don't want my wallet to hurt much. So, schools with a decent/low cost of living in a mid-sized city are what I'm looking for. Of all the ones I applied to, Pittsburgh appears to be one (a friend lives in Shadyside (hee hee) in a ridiculously large apartment for $700/mo, Davis another (please don't flame about how there's nothing to do - Lake Tahoe and SF aren't too far away!))

About the Ads

xela

10+ Year Member
                            Jul 13, 2004
                              I'm pretty fond of Minneapolis, personally. Originally from the southwest, but I've been here for 10 years now and love it. Winter, schminter -- it's just something you deal with.

shawty ya'head

10+ Year Member
                              7+ Year Member
                              Aug 29, 2004
                                ok ok...enough bickering....

GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD FOR MED STUDENTS OR ANYONE:
                                PHILADELPHIA BABY!!

reasons:

1. 4 med-schools in the city, 1 very close to the city (high incidence of hospitals, research facilities, med students and parties)
                                2. TONS of places to go out
                                3. NOT as expensive as boston or ny
                                4. other major cities VERY close by
                                5. EAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGLLLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                6. Cheesteaks, pretzels, cupcakes and any other food we're known for that will make you really fat and unattractive
                                7. CITY OF BROTHERLY LOVE BABY

BigRedPingpong

7+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Oct 18, 2003
                                NY
                                  melimi said:

I have always heard that baltimore was the biomed mecca of the US-- So close to the NIH and...what's the name of that school that everyone likes...Oh yeah University of Maryland, was it?...no, no...Johns Hopkins...that's the one with the heavyweight researchers.

BraneDoc

10+ Year Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  Sep 12, 2004
                                  MA
                                    BigRedPingpong said:
                                    I have always heard that baltimore was the biomed mecca of the US-- So close to the NIH and...what's the name of that school that everyone likes...Oh yeah University of Maryland, was it?...no, no...Johns Hopkins...that's the one with the heavyweight researchers.

Hopkins is famous for its research in general, and it has a huge BME program. Boston (as well as its suburbs, even all the way out to Worcester), however, has huge amounts of private biomedical research. There are many massive biomedical research parks all around the Boston metropolitan area and many more beginning to surround the Worcester area. Because of all this private money and research, the Boston area has become one of the meccas, if not the mecca, of biomedical research in the country.

CarleneM

patent pending
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    7+ Year Member
                                    Jul 1, 2004
                                    Watertown, MA
                                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                                      i'm putting in another vote for boston. sure, new york and san francisco are great but not so much on a student budget. boston is expensive but not nearly as expensive as nyc. plus, you have some of the best hospitals in the country and the longwood medical area. many people you meet will also be students of some sort and there is wonderful shopping, restaurants and of course, the red sox. also, someone said boston was very traditional and rigid. there are a few puritanical rules out there but for the most part it is a very liberal, diverse and accepting community. if you are counting cambridge as part of boston then that is even more true.

indo

Feed me a stray cat
                                      7+ Year Member
                                      15+ Year Member
                                      Sep 28, 2002
                                      www.mcw.edu
                                      1. Resident [Any Field]
                                        If you want the best medical training you will want to combine a good research institution with a huge, diverse, poor population in order to maximize clinical exposure.

I'll second the Portland nomination even though it isn't that diverse or poor. It is a nice place to live. Tons of homeless people, tons of meth, tons of runaway children...its pretty awesome.

Rzarecta

Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
                                        10+ Year Member
                                        Oct 6, 2004
                                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                                          indo said:
                                          If you want the best medical training you will want to combine a good research institution with a huge, diverse, poor population in order to maximize clinical exposure.

I'll second the Portland nomination even though it isn't that diverse or poor. It is a nice place to live. Tons of homeless people, tons of meth, tons of runaway children...its pretty awesome.

The last line made half of my pepsi come out of my nose...classic.

lightnk102

Wild Type
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          5+ Year Member
                                          Oct 29, 2004
                                            CarleneM said:
                                            i'm putting in another vote for boston. sure, new york and san francisco are great but not so much on a student budget. boston is expensive but not nearly as expensive as nyc. plus, you have some of the best hospitals in the country and the longwood medical area. many people you meet will also be students of some sort and there is wonderful shopping, restaurants and of course, the red sox. also, someone said boston was very traditional and rigid. there are a few puritanical rules out there but for the most part it is a very liberal, diverse and accepting community. if you are counting cambridge as part of boston then that is even more true.

I am a huge New York City fan. Moving to Boston last year was one of the most difficult adjustments I've ever had to make. However... I have to grudgingly agree with Carlene.

As far as quality of life is concerned, Boston takes the cake for med students. It's not half as distracting (or as expensive) as NY is, housing is affordable, you're still in a city with culture, and best of all - there's a very close-knit student community. I know that BU, Tufts, and Harvard Med often have joint social mixers sponsored by the schools (if NY schools do something similar, I'm not aware of it). If it turns out that you hate everyone in your med class, you can hobnob with the Harvard Business School MBA students, or the Kennedy School's Public Policy people, MIT's engineering students (if tech is your thing), or Berklee's kids (if you're into music). And Boston's a small enough city that each of these places is easily within reach. The only downside in my opinion is the large undergraduate population, but for the boys who want to meet undergrad girls... Boston's a large pool to wade in.

The South End exists for those of the gay persuasion, Back Bay for the more upscale, and Central Square in Cambridge is my personal favorite. The only downside I can see is that Boston is the least diverse out of the eastern seaboard cities.

VienneseWaltz

10+ Year Member
                                            15+ Year Member
                                            Jan 26, 2003
                                            Baltimore
                                            1. Attending Physician
                                              GuyLaroche said:

Huh? Durham is pretty cheap, but car insurance isn't free. (Nor is real estate, of course.)

Speaking of cheap cities, Baltimore has a remarkably low cost of living for a city its size. Several people in my class have bought houses, and the appreciation is such that we're likely going to be able to pay off our loans when we sell at graduation. (That is, if we don't buy our next houses outright so as to avoid capital gains and use what we would have spent on mortgages to pay off our loans in a few years.)

soprano

10+ Year Member
                                              5+ Year Member
                                              Dec 1, 2004
                                                CarleneM said:

I'm going to have to disagree... While Boston is a fun city, for sure, it is extremely small, and can get to feel claustrophobic after a while. Also, the transportation is really not that great. When it snows the T has SERIOUS problems (example, my 35 minute commute to work turning into 1.5 hours, a full 7 days after the recent blizzard... and that's not including the 25 minutes waiting for a train in the subzero temperatures... this is new england, you'd think the city would be used to the snow...). And the subway shuts down at midnight, which puts a damper on evening activities. Yes, there is a great academic community, and the hospitals are top notch, but I think the NYU/Columbia/Cornell/Sinai community and the NY hospitals are just as good, as well as the California schools/hospitals, and the Chicago schools, etc etc... basing a city on those things just don't complete the picture.

Another problem i have is the EXTREME segregation. When you can predict what line on the subway a person is going to get on, based on their skin color, you know you have a problem. NYC is a billion times more integrated than this city, and that is really important to me.

Also, the "expense" issue isn't really a problem when med schools have subsidized housing (ahem... NYC... ahem...). The Boston schools don't. I feel like Boston would be MORE expensive on a student's budget due to that fact alone. Food/entertainment etc are pretty much comparable.

Boston is fun, I've definitely enjoyed living out here, but there's a reason I'm turning down acceptances to Boston schools to go to NYC... now for residency, that's a whole other story all together... ;)

(But I will forever be a Red Sox fan... GO RED SOX!! YANKEES SUCK!!!)

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
                                                10+ Year Member
                                                5+ Year Member
                                                Dec 25, 2004
                                                  Columbus, Ohio is a good place to be a student. For $650 I live in a luxury apartment in a very safe, upscale suburb that has its own clubhouse and gymn. That's less than what I was paying to live in a dorm at Cornell, and far less than what I'd be paying to live in a roach infested place in NYC, which is a town that I'm familiar with. All the recreational stuff here is affordable, and there aren't hassles with parking/petty crime/etc. that I've had to put up with other places I've lived in. :thumbup:

MasterShakeDO

The Drizzle
                                                  10+ Year Member
                                                  7+ Year Member
                                                  Jan 26, 2005
                                                  Southern Cal
                                                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                                                    shawty ya'head said:
                                                    ok ok...enough bickering....

GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD FOR MED STUDENTS OR ANYONE:
                                                    PHILADELPHIA BABY!!

reasons:

1. 4 med-schools in the city, 1 very close to the city (high incidence of hospitals, research facilities, med students and parties)
                                                    2. TONS of places to go out
                                                    3. NOT as expensive as boston or ny
                                                    4. other major cities VERY close by
                                                    5. EAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGLLLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                    6. Cheesteaks, pretzels, cupcakes and any other food we're known for that will make you really fat and unattractive
                                                    7. CITY OF BROTHERLY LOVE BABY

Yeah baby! Go Eagles!
                                                    Philly is also where SMS started for those med students who are interested in medical missions before you actually become a doctor. And I heard the range of things you see doing clinicals @ places like Temple are unreal.

USCTex

Minding My Own
                                                    10+ Year Member
                                                    5+ Year Member
                                                    Nov 18, 2004
                                                    1. Medical Student
                                                      If you're looking at it from the perspective as a med student I gotta say Boston or New York like everyone else...

And who on here was saying the bay area and san fran has nice weather?? :laugh:

Plus L.A. is dirty and spread out... :(

And, BTW the south has the hottest girls (way more than so cal) so in that respect...Nashville, Winston-Salem, Durham, N.O. etc.

About the Ads
                                                      This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                      7. This thread is locked.