Which Class Will Be More Helpful for MCAT Prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRedhead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to end up taking both of these classes, however, one of which I will be taking during/right before taking the MCAT. Which one do you think will be more helpful with the material covered on the MCAT?

Genetic Analysis described in the syllabus as an "introduction to genetic analysis including Mendelian principles, population and quantitative genetics, cytogenetics and contributions to molecular biology."

OR

Molecular genetics which is described as "study of mechanisms of heredity emphasizing organization of the genome, mutation and regulation of gene expression.
PT_PIXEL_1.gif
"

I think genetic analysis would be more interesting, but molecular genetics would be more helpful. Thoughts? Help? Please?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to have to end up taking both of these classes, however, one of which I will be taking during/right before taking the MCAT. Which one do you think will be more helpful with the material covered on the MCAT?

Genetic Analysis described in the syllabus as an "introduction to genetic analysis including Mendelian principles, population and quantitative genetics, cytogenetics and contributions to molecular biology."

OR

Molecular genetics which is described as "study of mechanisms of heredity emphasizing organization of the genome, mutation and regulation of gene expression.
PT_PIXEL_1.gif
"

I think genetic analysis would be more interesting, but molecular genetics would be more helpful. Thoughts? Help? Please?

These classes will be much more in depth than what you see on the MCAT. I feel like everything you need to know will be covered sooner rather than later in both schedules, so it doesn't really matter. Then again, maybe this isn't true (how should I know?), but I wouldn't over-think it. What you need to know for the MCAT in terms of these two subjects can be learned/reviewed in a week (tops).

Easily molecular genetics. Molecular genetics should also include more than enough information for the MCAT on Mendelian principles and population stuff.

Yes. I know you made ur mind up but I just want to stress the issue more, especially because I hated general genetics! It will be a serious waste of time since in molecular you review general and step up to more important and advanced topics...which will help greatly on the MCAT. Yeck, you might even run across the exact same topic that you learned in molecular genetics. I took one molecular course and on this past MCAT there were 4 BS passages that I knew by heart just from the course :laugh:. Its a great feeling when you know the questions before they ask them. Thats ~28/52 points easy right there!!!