Which Classes can count towards your science and math GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marl0nbrand0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am calculating my math and science GPA and I am a bit unsure of which classes could be included. I took an intro to Anthropology class as an elective during winter semester of my freshman year and got an A. If it is a social science, could that be calculated into my GPA?

Also, I took an Intro to Psych course this fall semester and got an A, I was wondering if this could be calculated in as well.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I am calculating my math and science GPA and I am a bit unsure of which classes could be included. I took an intro to Anthropology class as an elective during winter semester of my freshman year and got an A. If it is a social science, could that be calculated into my GPA?

Also, I took an Intro to Psych course this fall semester and got an A, I was wondering if this could be calculated in as well.

MD: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

DO: https://aacomas.aacom.org/survey/views/client/aacomas/collegesinstructions4.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Anthropology will only count if it is physical anthropology, i.e evolutionary/ biological anthropology, such as a class like Evolution of Primates, Skeletal Anthropology etc.
Psychology will only count if it is a Psychometrics course ( Psych stats) or Biological Psychology/ Neuroscience, i.e Stats in Psych, Bio basis of Behavior, Neural Systems, Sensory Biopsych.

An intro to psychology or intro to social anthropology class will not count.

Anthropology will only count if it is physical anthropology, i.e evolutionary/ biological anthropology, such as a class like Evolution of Primates, Skeletal Anthropology etc.
Psychology will only count if it is a Psychometrics course ( Psych stats) or Biological Psychology/ Neuroscience, i.e Stats in Psych, Bio basis of Behavior, Neural Systems, Sensory Biopsych.

An intro to psychology or intro to social anthropology class will not count.

This is something that I have wondered about myself. I have taking physio psyc for example, but I don't believe it would automatically count towards my BCPM. Would I have to petition it with AMCAS?

This is something that I have wondered about myself. I have taking physio psyc for example, but I don't believe it would automatically count towards my BCPM. Would I have to petition it with AMCAS?

Mark it as Biology, if they change it then you appeal.

As others mentioned, AMCAS provides BCPM classification, which you could see in my signature. Psychology and anthropology are social/behavioral science classes, so they do not classify as BCPM.