Tiger18

10+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2007
Status
Hi everyone,

So I graduated recently with a 2.2 in biology. I'm planning on taking post bac classes till I can raise my gpa to around a 3.0, take the mcats, and apply to a smp.

My question right now is what classes should I take at my state school? Should I just take some biology classes as well as chemistry and physics again?

I'm a little bit unsure of what classes can help raise my gpa.

Thanks
-T

gl0baltrader

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone,

So I graduated recently with a 2.2 in biology. I'm planning on taking post bac classes till I can raise my gpa to around a 3.0, take the mcats, and apply to a smp.

My question right now is what classes should I take at my state school? Should I just take some biology classes as well as chemistry and physics again?

I'm a little bit unsure of what classes can help raise my gpa.

Thanks
-T
T,
Any class in bio, chen, phys, and math would account towards your bcpm, as long as it's an under grad. I would recommend taking bio classes, such as anatomy, physio, and immunology.

Good luck
D

Aug 9, 2009
Seattle, WA
Status
Pre-Medical
I would imagine that, as a biology major, you don't have many life science classes (anatomy, genetics, etc) left that you haven't taken but definitely look at those first. Woe be to whoever needs to take differential equations and p-chem to raise their GPA :(

wasvsdal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status
With a 2.2 GPA, do you need to be told which classes you need to take.

Retake classes that you got a C or below.

marissa123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2008
Status
With a 2.2 GPA, do you need to be told which classes you need to take.

Retake classes that you got a C or below.

I actually contacted the UC Davis admissions director, since I was also a science major in undergrad, but didn't do as well as I had hoped for...anyways she told me to only retake the classes that you failed, and to 20-30 semester hours of upper division science courses.

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You can calculate what this will do to your GPA. I don't think even with retaking the ones you failed and then 30-semester hrs you will be able to break 3.0. But put it in excel and figure it out.

gl0baltrader

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I actually contacted the UC Davis admissions director, since I was also a science major in undergrad, but didn't do as well as I had hoped for...anyways she told me to only retake the classes that you failed, and to 20-30 semester hours of upper division science courses.
20 to 30 semester hours translates to 30 - 45 quarter hours.