Which college is best for Pre-med/Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Path2Medicine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a transfer from PA. I have been admitted to Rutgers, Kean, Penn State, West Chester, Pittsburgh, and Arcadia. I need some advice deciding which school would be best to ideal considering its educational relevance for biology major and medical school future. If you can comment on the pre-med office, the administration, the course professors, and the learning environment.

What matters to me is the quality of education, chances of success...

Thanks! Please either PM me or respond!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Although I do not know the schools in general, I've always had a better time learning in classes that had 40 people or less in them. It's easier to ask questions and access the professors if the schools are smaller. (This is personal experience, though)

Also, have you tried checking studentsreview.com for these schools? I did that for my university and the reviews explained exactly what the worst part of the school was like.

It doesn't really matter where you go to undergrad if your ultimate goal is to be accepted into medical school. But if you really care about your school's ranking in biology, I am sure all of the schools in that list have respectable bio departments...

Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers! :D A little biased over here but I guess I'd be tied between Rutgers and Penn State. Party school ftw.

OP is the "opening poster"... so YOU!

I grew up in Eastern PA and based on the schools' reputations, I would be choosing between Penn State and Pitt. Pitt is a more fun city with real professionals, and penn state is just a huge mass of college students. Both have great education.

Why would you go to Rutgers if you're a PA resident? Penn State would be a better choice.

The school with the easiest grading curve.

My thoughts on Pitt: Had a good time there, but be prepared for quite large intro classes. Take the honors versions/sections of the classes for a nicer, albeit harder, feel (with a much better chance of getting to know the profs/get LORs).
There's a lot of really awesome profs (take Bandik for OChem!), a lot of really terrible ones, and a loooot of research opportunities, both basic and clinical, should you want to go that route. And a ton of hospitals 5 feet away from you for shadowing/volunteering.
If you're interested in non-science things, Pitt has a ton of really cool "other" departments with fun & interesting (GPA boosting) classes. and being in Pittsburgh is awesome - you get the crazy parties and the other more "cultural" stuff all in one go (museums, symphony, theaters, etc).
If you have any questions, I spent 6 years (Bachelors + Masters) here, so I can prob answer them, feel free to PM :)

I am a transfer residing in PA. I have been admitted to Rutgers, Kean, Penn State, West Chester, Pittsburgh, and Arcadia. I need some advice deciding which school would be best to ideal considering its educational relevance for biology major and medical school future. I finished my pre-med reqs and plan to take other science courses. Please comment on course professors, the grading system, the pre-med office, any injustice within administration...? Any courses you recommend or worth?

Please share the pros and the cons.

Didnt you post this already?
The grading system you can find out on their websites.
Ratemyprofessor for the professors

Your undergrad institution will not increase your chance of success, none of them is going to magically give you a 4.0 and a 45 if you attend. It is all you.

Interested in research? Go to the one with the most NIH funding (indicative of more research oppty). Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

I have a friend at West Chester doing the bio program and she apparently loves it. It is a private, small-ish campus so if that is something you are looking for that knocks a few off the list.

Personally, I think its a bit much to pay a small fortune for undergrad especially if you are already planning on getting an advanced degree. Others I know at private schools are paying 50k+ a year and are just starting to realize that they might have trouble getting loans rolled forward to account for grad school. I don't know how that all works, but just something to be aware of in case it could affect you.

I can comment on Rutgers - New Brunswick. The school is great because there are really so many things to do here. Aside from partying, clubs and recreation are broad; if you have an interest in something chances are a club already exists for it. One thing I can really trash Rutgers for is its administration/ ADVISING! Unless you are proactive, navigating your college career here can be like walking a tight-rope. It's not like falling off the rope lands you into a ball pit like at Chuck E. Cheese, rather more like a pit with hungry lions in the mood for human because they had Chinese last night and pizza for lunch! Well that's totally an exaggeration, but really whenever you get advising make sure you are very clear with what you are saying and equally clear with the dean's advice. Then, double check it with another dean. Not kidding there, taking one person's word as truth can get you burned. I know you said you only care about the education, but you should consider the package deal you get with each school.

With that said, the education is generally great. I don't think I've had a professor I disliked (some I was neutral on, but most are awesome). If you read the ratemyprofessor reviews on a lot of science teachers you can expect people to rip them for being boring, difficult, uninterested, not helpful, etc. Take this with a grain of salt as you really need to consider what you are looking at. Science classes are inherently difficult to most people (and boring to some who aren't really interested in it to begin). This is magnified by the fact that science grading curves are generally much more harsh than other subjects. Depending on the class, I have seen the A range drop as low as about 70-100%. That might sound awesome at first, but trust me that 70% is not easy to come by. Regardless, the A distribution as a proportion of students in the class is generally the same among all the science class excluding chemistry. That mean's whatever the curve comes out to be, it works.

I have never had trouble seeking a professor out if I needed help although certainly some professor's office hours are more helpful than others.

If you are interested in pursuing research, Rutgers is one of the best places to be in my opinion. There is SO much going on, and if you approach things the right way chances are you will find an open lab. The close proximity to Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and a few other NJ science institutes also offer excellent research opportunities. It may be easier getting a position within Rutgers as an undergrad, but it is not exceptionally uncommon for students to also work at the external institutions I mentioned above.

Back to advising really quickly: advising within the bio major an Health Professions Office are generally good. It is the general advising that you really need to worry about. The secretaries in particular at the bio office are wonderful and very knowledgeable. That 3 minute phone conversation with one of them can really save you in the long run.

With that allll said, out of state tuition is pretty steep if I remember correctly. Weigh your options, but I really think Rutgers does a lot of things right.

Please do not create multiple threads to ask the same question. Both of your threads have been merged together.

Go to the cheapest one, since the name of the undergrad doesn't amount to much in med school admissions (except for ivies, but apparently that doesn't apply to you).

And just a bit off topic but Is it just me or has anyone else ever heard the "arcadia" college op mentioned, i have never before heard of that college before, but now im interested since the name sounds pretty cool imo

The cheapest one. Worked for me and the majority of my classmates.

I am a transfer from PA. I have been admitted to Rutgers, Kean, Penn State, West Chester, Pittsburgh, and Arcadia. I need some advice deciding which school would be best to ideal considering its educational relevance for biology major and medical school future. If you can comment on the pre-med office, the administration, the course professors, and the learning environment.

Whichever one is the cheapest.