which colleges have premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in high
> school and I'm considering attending medical school
> and I know I have
> to go to pre med first. But I was wondering if you
> could give me a list
> of colleges or univesities that offer pre med
> programs. And if you
> could give me a discription of what per med and
> medical school is like.
>

Members don't see this ad.

There is really no such thing as "pre-med" Pre med is simply a curriculum
which gets you the pre-requisites for medical school admission. You could
major in anything and be "pre-med."
Generally, you should ask if there is a pre-med advisor at your college and
talk to him or her about the success of med school placement that college
has.
Read the "pre-med" portion of my sight for a detailed description of what
pre-med is like.

Thanks!

Jim Henderson, MD

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, just thought it would b fun to bump the oldest thread in sdn

There's a Premed major here at UC santa cruz. I'm not actually in it (i'm an anthro major), but it basically is composed of all of the med school requirements, plus upper division bio. They also have advisers to help you find research/volunteer opportunities through the school.

ha! just realized what happened here, and that this thread is old as dirt. carry on.

Did Jim Henderson ask a question and then get into a time machine so he could answer his own question after he became a doctor? If so he's a smart dude.

:laugh: Weirdest OP/2nd post I've ever seen. Mind = blown

If this is real, this is the most epic bump I have ever seen in my life.......

Members don't see this ad :)
So apparently the OP did get his MD. Practiced for 7 years, got sued, lost faith, quit medicine, and went into a neuroscience PhD program.

This saddens me.

Lol thats funny stuff.

So apparently the OP did get his MD. Practiced for 7 years, got sued, lost faith, quit medicine, and went into a neuroscience PhD program.

This saddens me.

Yeah, I saw that in his post history. It is actually quite the story. But in the post OP says he practiced for 7+ years, however in '99 he was in HS according to this. I'm very confused.

In the first post he's relaying a question that he was asked, presumably by a high school student via e-mail.
In the second post he's answering said question.

In the first post he's relaying a question that he was asked, presumably by a high school student via e-mail.
In the second post he's answering said question.

Chorus: Ohhhh.

Although I still don't get why he has two accounts. Anyways, it's sad but this guy would get completely demolished if he had posted such a thing nowadays.

Edit: Just read the post history. Wouldn't mind re-starting that 'Happy Holidays, here's a $100' ordeal again (;

Holy crap, 1999? How do you even find threads this old?

This saddens me.

this got me interested so I browsed around his post history and read that OP was one of the "Creators" of SDN and also for those who may be interested, this is his story:

"After 7 years of Family Medicine I will be hanging up the stethoscope for the microscope. Mainly, this is out of a love of research, and of the intellectual stimulation and interaction with peers on a scholarly level. I have to say, medicine these days seems to be mind numbing, full of defensive medicine and politics. Since being embroiled in an ongoing and frivolous "shotgun" lawsuit lasting for 3 years, along with 2 other doctors, my view of human nature has declined progressively... to the point where making every decision on the basis of "will this decision cover my ass adequately" has made me speed up my career path change by 3 years. This will break the hearts of my patients, and will sting me and my family financially. I will miss helping people and miss most of my patients… but life is too short not to follow my heart."

He seemed happy with his decision to go into research but angry at the system. I can't imagine having to go through all the years of training and education, and then deciding that medicine isn't for me.

This question was asked when I was busy watching Teletubbies...

Yeah I read the thread where he stated he was going to hopefully start a PHD in 2005, wonder what he's doing now. I also found it strange that he was relaying and answering a question on 2 separate accounts, but considering how old this thread one who knows.