Which conference to go to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could only go to 1 conference for pain in the next 12 months, which would it be?

Members don't see this ad.

ISIS rocks

Members don't see this ad :)
ISIS
AAPM (if you do comprehensive pain)
ASRA Pain
AAPMR
NASS
OK, if we are doing all the fun ones:
ISIS (Las Vegas)
NANS (Las Vegas)
ASRA (Huntington Beach)
ISSLS/Spine Week 2008 (Geneva)
NASS (Toronto)
CSRS (Austin)
AAPMR (San Diego)

Why Vegas ISIS scientific meeting? AAPM trends, practice management, exhibitors... Yay?
I'd rather hit up their workshops. Plus Vegas in July ain't as nice as you think.

you obviously haven't witnessed Bogduk tear a new assh*le into somebody during question/answer sessions - worth the heat of July in Vegas....

you obviously haven't witnessed Bogduk tear a new assh*le into somebody during question/answer sessions - worth the heat of July in Vegas....
The ISIS board actually told Dr. Bogduk to tone down his rhetoric after they received a huge negative response to his diatribe at the New York meeting in which he ripped Dr. Rosenthal a new one. Of course no one said boo when he told the visiting spine surgeon what a ***** he was the prior year for operating on "dark discs", so who knows what will happen this year (that's half the fun of going).

I thought that was a shame because part of what I go for is watching Dr. Bogduk over-react, as well as his unique way of insulting people with phrases like "feral injectionists" which require them to quickly find a dictionary before they realize the viciousness of the insult.

Dr. G and I have both felt the wrath of the dogmatic Dr. Yin, who also is fun to poke the occasional stick at.

as well as his unique way of insulting people with phrases like "feral injectionists"

best quote EVER - I'll be there Saturday just for him

Dr. Gorback:

I see you are speaking at ISIS re pulsed RF - will you be wearing kevlar?

pulsed RF gets discussed on a regular basis at ISIS - and usually gets a warm response (for the most part) - especially when there is hard data being presented (ie: like the c-fos data at the NY ISIS meeting in 2005)..

pulsed RF gets discussed on a regular basis at ISIS - and usually gets a warm response (for the most part) - especially when there is hard data being presented (ie: like the c-fos data at the NY ISIS meeting in 2005)..
The NY meeting was where Dr. Rosenthal presented, and Dr. Bogduk ripped him a new one. Good to see there can be more than one take on an audience response.

There was no c-fos data presented in NY - Dr. Rosenthal mentioned it when challenged re what he felt his treatment was doing, and Dr. Bogduk questioned the significance of the c-phos marker

i enjoyed his lecture...

Dr. G and I have both felt the wrath of the dogmatic Dr. Yin, who also is fun to poke the occasional stick at.

I see you are speaking at ISIS re pulsed RF - will you be wearing kevlar?

Does this ("Dr. G") refer to me? I wouldn't know Dr. Yin if I tripped over him.

At first I wasn't sure I could cover PRF in 20 minutes. Now I'm wondering what I could possibly say about it that can fill up 20 minutes. I hope to bring a different perspective to PRF than the traditional review of the literature, since a literature review really isn't going to move the ball down the field for PRF.

There was no c-fos data presented in NY - Dr. Rosenthal mentioned it when challenged re what he felt his treatment was doing, and Dr. Bogduk questioned the significance of the c-phos marker

And with good reason: c-fos is a nonspecific marker that simply shows the cells reacted to something. It doesn't tell you what the reaction was.

One of the more interesting and useless debates was between Bogduk and Sluijter (I think it was Sluijter) when they argued about what a lesion is. Nik said it has to be visible either with the naked eye or light microscopy, and Sluijter said if you see changes with electron microscopy it's a lesion. I would not like to get caught between these two when they argue about whether Certs is a breath mint or a candy mint.

Which leads to the philosophical question: How many pain doctors can intellectually dance on the tip of an RF cannula?